2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 04-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Question Header install guide?

I remember reading a little while ago on here a header install guide complete with pictures. Does anyone have that link? I have searched but can't find the message....

I'm tackling the Bassani Midlength's next weekend, and the person wrote a really nice install how-to.

I will be dropping the K, thats for sure! Is it easier to support the motor by a engine lift, or by a jack underneath once the K is dropped? Using a lift, would the front clip have to me removed?

If anyone would have that link I would definitely appreciate it...

2003 Mach 1 - Zinc Yellow
Born 06/12/03, VIN# 436142
5 Speed, IUP
312 HP, 321 FT. LBS. TRQ. (5/10/05)
SVTSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Re: Header install guide?

For those that are interested in the header install guide I was talking about, I finally found it...

Header Install Guide

Some quick questions...

The Bassani headers come with their gaskets. Are these the recommended gaskets or should I reuse the stock gaskets?

I want to use all of the stock studs and nuts if possible. I want to pick up some extra ones from the Ford dealer before I start just in case. Does Ford sell these, or are they going to look at me like dear in headlights when I ask for them?

Do the Bassani's require me to remove the oil dipstick tube during installation?

I have the PHP intake spacer on. Hsa anyone ran into any problems getting the EGR tube reattached? Would it be better to disassemble the EGR from the upper, then attach it to headers, and then reattach it to the upper?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I have everything before I get started.

Friday afternoon, I plan on getting started, with being finished by Saturday. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can get back in to get realigned, then the 2nd week of May I have my appointment back at LaRocca's for a retune. Then it will be off to the show in Carlisle in June!

5 Speed, IUP
Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Koz-04Mach
KLR - BEE

I dont have any answers for your questions, however I am toying with the thought of putting those headers on myself when I get back to TX and the emissions arent a problem anymore. So please when your done, post your findings on those issues. Those arell questions I have myself. For the header bolts thou you can probably go to any mustang store and pick them up. Back home in TX we had Texas Mustang parts, and my friends shop 50resto. Here in CT we have Mustangs unlimited. If you dont have a local shop you can probably pick them up through those dealers, if your Ford Shop doesnt have them.
5 Speed
Sold - June 11, 2006
Koz-04Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

All that work just for 12 horse, if that! Sheesh! hahahaha. Stock manifolds are good to 600 horse, why whould anyone want to go through all that work for such a little increase? esp for daily drivers. My god man!!
Orange whip 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange whip 04
All that work just for 12 horse, if that! Sheesh! hahahaha. Stock manifolds are good to 600 horse, why whould anyone want to go through all that work for such a little increase? esp for daily drivers. My god man!!
Orange Whip, you REALLY need to stop hijacking people's header threads!
I can personally have a set of headers in in about 4 hours.
I don't call that a lot of work.

SVTSnake, best of luck with your install.
I've installed longtubes, but not the midlengths so I don't know your specific questions.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

No hijacking was required, Just giving my opinion like everyone else does. Maybe it will save some people some time and money for a wastefull adventure.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Lonestar 7

Get some Stage 8 bolts for your headers I have a set ready when I do headers to my Mach. These bolts have special locks so will not come loose and have exhaust leaks.
Lonestar 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #8
mustangmike2003

Make sure you dont mess up any of the threads, I chewed one up pretty bad and had to use the stock manifold stud kinda like a tap to get the bolt in. I dont think it hurt anything but it scared the **** out of me when it happend. I had to take out all of the studs and use the supplied bolts by header which im not sure if they are grade 8 or not. The studs were not clearing the primary tubes. I heard the bassani gaskets are really good. As far as the egr I disconected it on the valve side first then connected it on the exhaust then back on the valve. It was a PITA. Also double check that all the bolts are tight, I had to do the job twice because of leaks.

Blown Motor Mod
mustangmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Orange Whip, thanks for your opinions, but having headers on my 95 Cobra (shorties at that) and on my 99 Cobra, I would say that they make more than 7 horsepower! I gained 14 HP and 7 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 95 just with the headers, and close to 17 HP and 13 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 99! They do work, its just if you have the mods to show it...

If you are only making 7 horsepower with them, then I can say that you started at the wrong with your mods. Also, in my opinion, not every bolt you do to a car is really justified until its been properly tuned afterwards. Installing ANY part that moves the factory O2 sensor position will not warrant a good outcome without a proper tune, headers is one of them!

Now back on topic, I'm sure it'll be a learning experience! Already told the wife not to depend on me for at least Friday/Saturday. Kinda looking forward to it to be honest!

As for the header bolts, I like the Stage 8's, but they are a pain to install! I had them on my 95, and my installer was going to shoot me for making him install them! On my 99, they just used the bolts that came with the headers. I have read that reusing the stock locking nuts and studs is the way to go. My only concern though is how much thicker the Bassani flanges are compared to stock. Guess I'll find out once under there.

The EGR I am thinking the way to do it is like Mike said, disconnect from the intake, attach it the header, then muscle it back on top. Of course I may get out the blow torch and heat it up some if I can't get it back up there (that's how they got my 95's reattached).

1 thing is for sure, as always, will take plenty of pics and post them as usual!

This week, I will go to Sears to pick up a few items.

BTW, is there any difference between our A-arms and the 03-04 Cobra A-arms? I keep seeing the 03 Cobra A-arms advertised with better bushings, tighter turning radius, and low friction ball joints with a revised stamping. Are they that much better than our's?

Woohoo, post #500!!!

5 Speed, IUP
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #10
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSnake
Orange Whip, thanks for your opinions, but having headers on my 95 Cobra (shorties at that) and on my 99 Cobra, I would say that they make more than 7 horsepower! I gained 14 HP and 7 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 95 just with the headers, and close to 17 HP and 13 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 99! They do work, its just if you have the mods to show it...

If you are only making 7 horsepower with them, then I can say that you started at the wrong with your mods. Also, in my opinion, not every bolt you do to a car is really justified until its been properly tuned afterwards. Installing ANY part that moves the factory O2 sensor position will not warrant a good outcome without a proper tune, headers is one of them!

Now back on topic, I'm sure it'll be a learning experience! Already told the wife not to depend on me for at least Friday/Saturday. Kinda looking forward to it to be honest!

As for the header bolts, I like the Stage 8's, but they are a pain to install! I had them on my 95, and my installer was going to shoot me for making him install them! On my 99, they just used the bolts that came with the headers. I have read that reusing the stock locking nuts and studs is the way to go. My only concern though is how much thicker the Bassani flanges are compared to stock. Guess I'll find out once under there.

The EGR I am thinking the way to do it is like Mike said, disconnect from the intake, attach it the header, then muscle it back on top. Of course I may get out the blow torch and heat it up some if I can't get it back up there (that's how they got my 95's reattached).

1 thing is for sure, as always, will take plenty of pics and post them as usual!

This week, I will go to Sears to pick up a few items.

BTW, is there any difference between our A-arms and the 03-04 Cobra A-arms? I keep seeing the 03 Cobra A-arms advertised with better bushings, tighter turning radius, and low friction ball joints with a revised stamping. Are they that much better than our's?

Woohoo, post #500!!!

I just went thru this yesterday installing the drivers side header. If you are raising the motor, there is plenty of room to remove the EGR connection from factory exhaust manifold. When putting long tube in I made sure I used anti-seize on the EGR threads of header. I was able to get header in place put a couple nuts on to hold. Then there was enough room to get the EGR tube and fitting aligned and threaded on, then I tightened with a wrench.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
04DSG Mach
32 Valves!!!

Good Luck SVTSnake, just installed mine about a week ago. Let me tell you, its a real fun job!! Is probably the most PITA install ever. Make sure you tighten down all your header bolts really tight, because I didn't and I had some leaks and had to go back in a tighten them all back down again.

MODS:
Power: K&N Air Filter, Bassani Ceramic Coated Mid Lengths, Bassani SS Catted X, Borla Stinger Catback, SCT Chip
Suspension: Steeda Sport Springs, 315 BFGoodrich DRs
Drivetrain: Pro 5.0, FRPP 4.30s
Exterior: AFS 17x10.5 Mach 1 Rims Machine/Black Finish, Stock Front Rims Painted to Match, SS Inserts, Tint 35% in Front, 20% in Back

Future: Alum Flywheel and DS, FR500s
04DSG Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Koz-04Mach
KLR - BEE

In addition, leak or no leak, its always best to follow up a few days later and retighten the bolts. Its not going to hurt and in most cases youll find a few that backed off just a bit. Altought I dont know how tough it will be to get to the bolts on them with the new headers.
5 Speed
Sold - June 11, 2006
Koz-04Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #13
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Yeah, I am sure checking them will be a PITA!

04DSG, how do you like them? Any pointers?

5 Speed, IUP
Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
stampde

you know, i dont seeing you have to do all that work, a few years back i helped a buddy install bbk long tubes on his 96 cobra,WE DIDN'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE K-MEMBER !!! we just lifted the engine with an engine hoist, it wasn't easy but it took 4 or 5 hours, i cant see that car being any different than ours.. I just bought a st of bbk's for my mach, i also will be tackling mine this weekend. i'l let you now how much of a pita it was...

Kooks 1 5/8 Long Tubes and off road X-Pipe
Magna Flow cat back
JLT cold air system
Intake spacer
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Steeda Tri Ax Shifter
Johnny Lightning Performance Tune/Diablo Sport Chip
FRP 4.10's , Roush T/A Cover
Edelbrock adjustable upper arms
Edelbrock lower control arms
Dyno/ 311.7 horse - 331 torque ( new dyno #'s to come )
1/4 mile best: 12.71 et , 108.79 mph
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
you know, i dont seeing you have to do all that work, a few years back i helped a buddy install bbk long tubes on his 96 cobra,WE DIDN'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE K-MEMBER !!! we just lifted the engine with an engine hoist, it wasn't easy but it took 4 or 5 hours, i cant see that car being any different than ours.. I just bought a st of bbk's for my mach, i also will be tackling mine this weekend. i'l let you now how much of a pita it was...
Using a cherry picker is how I'm installing mine. No dropping the K-member when your able to lift motor about 5-6 inches. Use a thich pad to put between end of cherry picker and inside of hood. Remove the hood prop from hood and let the hood rest on cherry picker when your at the desired height. Hold the hood up while raisding the picker.

So far I have the drivers side BBK header in with new poly motor mounts also. Doing the passenger side right now, then the trans mount. I put about 5 hours grinding & polishing time on the headers to clean the weld, splatter weld marks and port match to factory gasket which matches the head ports.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
Old 04-25-2005, 03:01 PM   #16
stampde

I'm glad someone agrees with me, that you dont have to remove the k-member!!
was it easier to take the motor mounts out of the way???

Kooks 1 5/8 Long Tubes and off road X-Pipe
Magna Flow cat back
JLT cold air system
Intake spacer
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Steeda Tri Ax Shifter
Johnny Lightning Performance Tune/Diablo Sport Chip
FRP 4.10's , Roush T/A Cover
Edelbrock adjustable upper arms
Edelbrock lower control arms
Dyno/ 311.7 horse - 331 torque ( new dyno #'s to come )
1/4 mile best: 12.71 et , 108.79 mph
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:34 PM   #17
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
I'm glad someone agrees with me, that you dont have to remove the k-member!!
was it easier to take the motor mounts out of the way???
Yes, remove the motor mounts from K-member, it opens up a lot of room. Here is a thread I started over the weekend when I started this project.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=33586

Old 04-26-2005, 10:39 PM   #18
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Went out today and got the rest of the tools I needed. Also picked up another set of header studs and nuts from my favorite Blue Oval parts supply (Randy over at Liberty Ford)...

For the Bassani gaskets, is there any need for using silicon on the gaskets prior to installing them? I have heard that the Bassani gaskets seal really nice...

5 Speed, IUP
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #19
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

My headers came in today! Boy are those Bassani headers sweet looking...

Taking off tomorrow around 10 to start the install... Will keep ya updated!

5 Speed, IUP
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #20
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

Quote:
My headers came in today! Boy are those Bassani headers sweet looking...

Taking off tomorrow around 10 to start the install... Will keep ya updated!

So far its been 4 days for that install and havent heard from you yet. Alot of work just a 7 horse power eh? Ok i'll give maybe 12 horse. Not a big advantage considering how much work your going through. This has been what i have been tlaking about people. But hey, its your ride.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #21
Angus66
1/4 Mile Drags Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange whip 04
So far its been 4 days for that install and havent heard from you yet. Alot of work just a 7 horse power eh? Ok i'll give maybe 12 horse. Not a big advantage considering how much work your going through. This has been what i have been tlaking about people. But hey, its your ride.
There's more to power gains than just peak numbers - you've got to look at the whole power curve to see what was gained/lost.

FWIW, I only gained ~ 12 rwhp on my '01 Cobra after installing JBA 1 3/4 shorty headers.
However, I gained almost 40 rwhp @ 6800 rpm, and had more power just about everywhere else in the rpm range as well.

Well-worth the $$$ & PIA install if you ask me...

Additionally, when doing other mods the exhaust manifolds WILL become a bottleneck sooner or later - that's a proven fact.
Angus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:20 AM   #22
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus66
There's more to power gains than just peak numbers - you've got to look at the whole power curve to see what was gained/lost.

FWIW, I only gained ~ 12 rwhp on my '01 Cobra after installing JBA 1 3/4 shorty headers.
However, I gained almost 40 rwhp @ 6800 rpm, and had more power just about everywhere else in the rpm range as well.

Well-worth the $$$ & PIA install if you ask me...

Additionally, when doing other mods the exhaust manifolds WILL become a bottleneck sooner or later - that's a proven fact.

And just how often is some one going to drive at 6800 rpm, esp for the average joe blow street driver? Is it really really worth it? Can you justifie the time and money to adjust your driving to always drive at 6800 rpm? and that is if your engine will stay together all the time you take it that far all the time.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #23
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

What are you talking about? Its done! Did it by myself, started Friday around 2:30, finished up about 11:00 Friday night, started Saturday around 2, finishing up around 10, and then started Sunday at 11, and was complete around 4 with oil change and rear differential oil change! There were plenty of breaks in between as well. I would say in all, probably about 11-12 hours of actual work time, no alignment needed, and they sound and feel awesome! Will be back at the tuner next Tuesday. I started another thread Friday night titled "Bassani header install progress"

They are NOT that hard to install. Like I said, I did eveything by myself, with the exception of getting the K member back up in place.

Well, to each his/her own I guess, but the BIG BLOCK sound is back up under there now

5 Speed, IUP
Old 05-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #24
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
What are you talking about? Its done! Did it by myself, started Friday around 2:30, finished up about 11:00 Friday night, started Saturday around 2, finishing up around 10, and then started Sunday at 11, and was complete around 4 with oil change and rear differential oil change! There were plenty of breaks in between as well. I would say in all, probably about 11-12 hours of actual work time, no alignment needed, and they sound and feel awesome! Will be back at the tuner next Tuesday. I started another thread Friday night titled "Bassani header install progress"

They are NOT that hard to install. Like I said, I did eveything by myself, with the exception of getting the K member back up in place.

Well, to each his/her own I guess, but the BIG BLOCK sound is back up under there now
SVT,

Curious on if you had to re shape the oil dip stick tube or not??? On the BBK long tubes you have to re shape it. Nice job on your install!

Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #25
mustangmike2003

Ive had my k-member on and off so many times, I can prob. do headers in about 4 hours with air tools.

Blown Motor Mod
mustangmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote