2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
torchredmach
Stock Gatorbacks > Slicks

Please be considerate when using paypal...

Not a big deal but it's something that bothers me, and others will probably argue the other way... But when you buy something from someone, especially for 10 or 20 bucks shipped and they have to ship it to you, send money through paypal as a "gift" or include enough to cover the 3% fee. It just seems like the polite thing to do and I thought it was common sense but I guess not.

/end rant

First '13 GT500 running on ethanol and stock fuel system.
World's Fastest Standing Mile Stock Supercharger GT500 - 197.2mph Texas Mile 3/22/2014
www.facebook.com/jordanweirracing
torchredmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

Re: Please be considerate when using paypal...

I agree, the only problem is, when they stiff you for your parts if you pay them as a gift you have no action against them through paypal. Your pretty much screwed. I usually will give a couple extra bucks for the fee instead. Oh and I always use a credit card through paypal for big items so you have another entity to fall back on if you get railed.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

The problem with the "gift" option is that if the seller isn't, well, honest, then you have no recourse to get your money back. That's why I will only utilize the gift option if I know/trust the person I'm buying from.

As for adding the 3%, I usually do this - especially if I feel like I'm getting a good deal. But, if the seller wasn't all that helpful/nice/easy to work with or I'm not happy with how the deal worked out and they didn't specify to add PP fees, I will not add the 3% as kind of a way to get back at them a little.

Just my thoughts on it =)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
torchredmach

I'd consider myself trustworthy, I've dealt with dozens of people on this forum including several of the well known and respected ones, and sending or receiving checks in the mail for thousands of dollars. And if you're worried about me screwing you out of a 20 dollar part... Well...

World's Fastest Standing Mile Stock Supercharger GT500 - 197.2mph Texas Mile 3/22/2014
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

I got screwed from another car forum along with a bunch of others from a long good standing moderator who just fell off the face of the earth. Its not always the new guys not saying you would ever do that. Heck I even had good purchases from him in the past. I mainly buy on steelcity stangs so I can see the items in person.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
machgsxr

What I usually do when selling a part is put a price in there that covers shipping and the paypal fees.
machgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

You can't be mad if your buyer didn't pay you an extra 3%....you as the seller set the price and the terms. You have the product...so if you want the buyer to cover the fees, unless you specify, then they have no obligation to pay you more than the agreed price. They certainly have no obligation to violate PP policy and send you money as a gift even though they are buying a product.

Just saying...sure, it is courteous to throw in a little extra - but by no means the standard or to be expected.

Just cause you think of yourself as trustworthy, doesn't mean someone who isn't that active on the forum thinks so.

Anyways, in the end - it's what, a couple dollars? Is that really going to make a difference?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
torchredmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigyn View Post
Anyways, in the end - it's what, a couple dollars? Is that really going to make a difference?
It's not a lot. Unless you start at ten or twenty dollars and have to pay shipping also. It's just something I would think would be a courtesy when someone is basically charging enough to cover shipping because the item is not useful for you but it is for them.

It all comes down to treat others how you would want to be treated.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredmach View Post
It's not a lot. Unless you start at ten or twenty dollars and have to pay shipping also. It's just something I would think would be a courtesy when someone is basically charging enough to cover shipping because the item is not useful for you but it is for them.
I agree, if you offered your part to them in a WTB they had or any other method than a FS ad, then it would be the right thing for them to think of covering your fees. But, if you were selling the part in a FS ad, then it's on you, IMO.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
jasionox666x

I say screw it.

If you wanted me to pay the 3% then you should either include it in your price or tell me you want me to add 3%.

I will never gift money to a stranger.

Sorry if I sound like a dick.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Smith
It's all about the Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgsxr View Post
What I usually do when selling a part is put a price in there that covers shipping and the paypal fees.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
torchredmach

I'm not mad at anyone and I'm not directing this at anyone. I just feel its one of those things in life you just do. If you feel like being cheap, go right ahead. I guess it's personal preference. Just like leaving a tip when going out to eat. You can tip the waitress 15% because you are "supposed to" or you can be generous and leave 20%, 25% or more. I think it reflects on character. Places I visit regularly always treat me good because they know I'm not going to screw them on a tip. But again, what's a couple dollars right?!

Now if it's $500, sure send 500. The seller would probably take 450 for the item anyway. But if you are buying a 10 dollar item I think you can afford to gift it and take the chance of getting screwed.

Flame away.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
If you wanted me to pay the 3% then you should include it in your price.
I'd have to agree with this. I've never even heard of this before where I'm suppose to use my ESP to know to tip someone extra to buy something. Just give me the bottom line price including everything.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredmach View Post
I'm not mad at anyone and I'm not directing this at anyone. I just feel its one of those things in life you just do. If you feel like being cheap, go right ahead. I guess it's personal preference. Just like leaving a tip when going out to eat. You can tip the waitress 15% because you are "supposed to" or you can be generous and leave 20%, 25% or more. I think it reflects on character. Places I visit regularly always treat me good because they know I'm not going to screw them on a tip. But again, what's a couple dollars right?!

Now if it's $500, sure send 500. The seller would probably take 450 for the item anyway. But if you are buying a 10 dollar item I think you can afford to gift it and take the chance of getting screwed.

Flame away.
Tipping at a restaurant is different. They work under the minimum wage and rely on tips.

My tips go like this:

If you are terrible you get 15%. Everyone has their bad days, whatever. I'm usually tipping around 25% anyway.

If all you do is show up to take my order and have your coworkers do the rest, and have the balls to hand me my check, I say screw you. All you did was take my **** order. I give a very low tip to the waiter/waitress and I find the people that actually handed me my food and made sure I got my drinks and hand them money.

There are other factors and yes, it has happened to me on several occasions.

Worst experience ever was Red Lobster here. Waitress came out after we waited 20 minutes. That pissed me off.

Took our drink order and we had to wait another 20. Then she took our food order and we were set.

We did see her until she handed us the check, which, by the way, was one and a half hours later.

The person taking care of us sucked ***. Brought out my wifes CHICKEN ALFREDO WITHOUT THE CHICKEN. She had to wait for the chicken which came out when the pasta was cold.

Like come on. We all have to ****ing work to get paid, do your **** job or work elsewhere.

She got no tip at all by the way. I was furious. I emailed Red Lobster and they gave me a $50 gift card which I gifted to someone for their birthday.

Best experience I had was when I planed on proposing to my wife. I went to a little Italian place here. They took a lot of time and effort into making it a very nice evening for us and the waiter was exceptional. I had a 70 dollar bill and tipped the guy 80.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
C Vo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
I say screw it.

If you wanted me to pay the 3% then you should either include it in your price or tell me you want me to add 3%.

I will never gift money to a stranger.

Sorry if I sound like a dick.
C Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
openb

I don't think a buyer can be expected to read a seller's mind. You have to specify what the price is, shipping included or not, PP fee included or not. Everything above board, not guessing. Buying off a forum is nothing like tipping a waitress. And I will never gift a seller again. Worth the 3% to me.
openb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
mufftang66
Mach-A-Roni and Cheese!

actually I've never sold anything using paypal or accepted money through paypal so i never knew there were fees to the seller

i've only bought things using paypal, so i would tend to agree that if someone wants the buyer to cover the fees it's should be built in to the price... i would not use gift option for purchases because the buyer has no recourse if the seller does not keep their end of the deal

2003 Mach 1 5spd : Zinc Yellow
1998 V6 auto : Vermillion Tri-coat
1966 Coupe 302 auto : Vintage Burgundy

"I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride" -- Jon Bon Jovi 1986
mufftang66 is offline   Reply With Quote