2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "Show" Discussions > Detailing/Cleaning Tips

Detailing/Cleaning Tips Cleaning your Mach 1 - Washing, Waxing, Detailing Tips and suggestions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
AlloyPony

Dealing with rock chips

So, since I started driving in 1995 I've lost track of how many vehicles I have owned. It's sort of a sickness. Lol. Mustangs, Camaros, a Challenger...Jeeps, pickups, etc. Maybe 25 vehicles or so altogether.

I have NEVER seen a car that has paint chips like this Mach 1. When I bought the car, it was a 1-owner and he cared for it really well, but, he did daily drive it for a while and the bumper, fenders, and hood looked like they had been driven through heavy shotgun fire. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen.

So, I spent a good amount of money last year and had the bumper, hood, and fenders painted. The car looked amazing. I put about 5,000 miles on it and the darn thing is chipping all over again. Bumper, hood, etc. has little white specs from chips showing all over the paint.

I had a '94 GT and a '01 GT, so same basic body style, and neither of them chipped like this. I'm wondering if the Azure Blue paint specifically is the problem? Is there something about that formula that just doesn't hold up well?

So I called around and got some quote for the clear protective film for the front. Prices were from $450 to $900. No thanks....I had the entire front painted for $900.

So... does anybody here have any suggestions? How can I keep the paint on this car from getting destroyed again?? (Not driving it isn't an option for me