2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Which mod?
Springs 3 33.33%
4.10s 4 44.44%
Don't be an idiot, save your money. 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
TRbetngu

People of M1R. PICK MY NEXT MOD!

I was set on 4.10s, girlfriend made a comment on the wheel gap, re-thinking my whole life, now considering springs.

So, I'm basically in the air on which one I want. I was going to cut the factory springs but I don't trust myself with that, so the springs will either be the Eibach Pro-kit or H&R Supersports depending on how low I decide to go. Price on both springs and gears are "relatively" the same. I will be able to do install on both myself, so money will be saved on labor costs. Gears would be a bit nicer because you can just slap those in and risk warping an axle. With the springs I have to consider that there are shocks/struts and alignment and all that is involved. However, I can piece all of that together at a later date. I understand that the car will ride rough but it mostly sees highway mileage, so it's not a big concern. The wheel gap is even more annoying to me now that she said something.

**can't afford both right now, only one**

Let's see what the fine people of this forum suggest.

Edit: Just realized I put this in General Registry discussion and not in Surveys and Polls. Sorry, Mods. Please move!

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
SIC9250

Re: People of M1R. PICK MY NEXT MOD!

You don't trust yourself to cut springs but will tackle a gear job??!!
SIC9250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIC9250 View Post
You don't trust yourself to cut springs but will tackle a gear job??!!
First off, I personally wouldn't be doing the gear job, I will be helping a buddy that did a gear job on my original Mach, but it will still cost me nothing.

I think I could do it, I don't trust myself to cut an appropriate amount off. I'd just keep saying "looks good, let's do another half coil just to see" and before I know it I'd be at a 2" drop riding on the x pipe. Also, I don't know how I feel about cut springs either way. I like the stiffer ride of aftermarket kits.

But yeah that did sound totally stupid, I should have clarified my reasoning more lol

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 06-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
311-420
Can't be bridled

Gears that short will make you quicker for a quick sprint, but slower after that. Been there and tested it against my buddies mach that dynod within 2hp of mine on the same dyno. Id get a jump at the start and he'd creep past once we got going in 3rd and 4th. Those are really better for a drag racing thing where leaving hard and coupling it with a really sticky tire are part of the setup. Not as much for a street car in my experience.

Between your choices, I'd cut the springs and put bilstein hd struts/shocks, eibach camber bolts and get it aligned. Make it look right, hook right, handle right and keep your top end speed intact! Then eaton swap it, of course.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #5
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

Eibach pros you can get away without caster camber plates. H&R you will need them. Also if you do the springs you might as well do lower control arms while they're out.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Idaho_mach

Just save for boost, you'll be much happier.
Idaho_mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I say do suspension. The reason I haven't done gears is because I think you really want to upgrade to 31 spline or at the very least, to a stronger 28 spline axle. The reason I say this is because so many get sticky tires because they spin easier. Sticky tires and our stock setup will break in pretty short time, if you play a lot. I think you can make improvements that will help traction a lot and let you stay stock in the rear, util you're ready to do a complete rear upgrade.

It sure seems like cutting the springs is a good way to go, based on what I've seen on M1R over the years. The important thing is the good shocks/struts along with it. I have Eibach Sportlines with MM CC plates and I'm going to do new bushings in the rear UCA's with a good set of LCA's before I finally go for the rear diff upgrade. I'll probably do an aluminum DS before as well. I know gears are what many do first, but you see many of them have to revisit when they break something. I'd like to wait and do it all at once. Plus, 3.55's is great stock.

Seems like I enjoy my Mustang more when I spend less time on social media (like IG and FB), because people aren't telling me what I need all the time haha! With all that, I'll say do whatever makes you happy first lol.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
slomach03

I'd say gears. I love my 4.10s but then again it's an auto and really needed the gear change.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
slomach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
01yellerCobra

I guess I'm one of the few that isn't a fan of Eibach's. Had them in my 98 GT and the ride sucked. Granted it had stock shocks/struts and they were only on there a day, they still left an impression. We have Eibach's on our 06 and I'm not impressed with them either. This time they have Koni STR.T's with them. I haven't told the wife yet, but they're going to get swapped for a decent coilover set up eventually. I know some people get away without CC plates, but I've always had them as soon as I lower the car.

I will add that I orginally cut the springs on my 98 and it rode fine. Then I used a set of cut termi springs on my 01 with take off Bilsteins. It looked good and rode fine. I figure as long as you don't go crazy cutting the stockers they'll be fine. I usually gave a few days between trimming for things to settle to decide how I liked the look. It sucked pulling the springs more than once, but I didn't cut too much.

I'd say do springs and shocks/struts. I finally have the suspension I've always wanted and I'm probably having more fun now than when my 01 was at 650rwhp.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I say do suspension. The reason I haven't done gears is because I think you really want to upgrade to 31 spline or at the very least, to a stronger 28 spline axle. The reason I say this is because so many get sticky tires because they spin easier. Sticky tires and our stock setup will break in pretty short time, if you play a lot. I think you can make improvements that will help traction a lot and let you stay stock in the rear, util you're ready to do a complete rear upgrade.

It sure seems like cutting the springs is a good way to go, based on what I've seen on M1R over the years. The important thing is the good shocks/struts along with it. I have Eibach Sportlines with MM CC plates and I'm going to do new bushings in the rear UCA's with a good set of LCA's before I finally go for the rear diff upgrade. I'll probably do an aluminum DS before as well. I know gears are what many do first, but you see many of them have to revisit when they break something. I'd like to wait and do it all at once. Plus, 3.55's is great stock.

Seems like I enjoy my Mustang more when I spend less time on social media (like IG and FB), because people aren't telling me what I need all the time haha! With all that, I'll say do whatever makes you happy first lol.
I really understand what you're talking about with IG and Facebook. I get on and see all these people with immaculate cars and think for some reason that I have to do so much more to mine than is necessary. Cobra bumpers, skirts, spoiler, coilovers, True Forged wheels, the list goes on and on. Cobra parts are great and all, but these cars really do look fantastic in stock form (minus Cobra mirrors, I love me some Cobra mirrors). I really think after a good lowering my car will be where I want it to be aesthetically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
I guess I'm one of the few that isn't a fan of Eibach's. Had them in my 98 GT and the ride sucked. Granted it had stock shocks/struts and they were only on there a day, they still left an impression. We have Eibach's on our 06 and I'm not impressed with them either. This time they have Koni STR.T's with them. I haven't told the wife yet, but they're going to get swapped for a decent coilover set up eventually. I know some people get away without CC plates, but I've always had them as soon as I lower the car.

I will add that I orginally cut the springs on my 98 and it rode fine. Then I used a set of cut termi springs on my 01 with take off Bilsteins. It looked good and rode fine. I figure as long as you don't go crazy cutting the stockers they'll be fine. I usually gave a few days between trimming for things to settle to decide how I liked the look. It sucked pulling the springs more than once, but I didn't cut too much.

I'd say do springs and shocks/struts. I finally have the suspension I've always wanted and I'm probably having more fun now than when my 01 was at 650rwhp.
Do you by chance remember how much you cut? Is there a how-to post on this anywhere out there? Would starting out by cutting a half coil not be enough? Or should I just go ahead and cut a full coil to begin with?

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 06-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
01yellerCobra

I don't remember how much I cut on my 98. On my 01 I cut half a coil all the way around. No iso's up front and just the lowers in the rear. The termi springs started off lower than my 01 springs anyway.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
4valve 4tw?

I'd have to look again later, but springs/shocks just don't make much sense for some cars with the prices of coil overs. I found a set of coil overs that were roughly what a set of springs and shocks will cost, if not a bit less. I know we don't live in money is no object world, but sometimes it's just worth paying a little extra and doing it right the first time, while having the adjustability for multiple uses/occasions.

I'll post the link later when I'm home, but I remember they were fairly highly reviewed, and on a major mustang parts seller's website.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #13
4valve 4tw?

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-47375KB/mus...-kit-sve-94-04
It's not the most top notch kit you can buy by any means, but with that sale price, springs/shocks simply don't make sense imo.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote