2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Mike03Mach

03 Mach 1 Engine noise

I have a 03 Mach 1 that is making an engine knock noise. I took it to a shop and all they said was that the noise is coming from the bottom end and that it'll need a new/rebuilt engine. I don't mind doing that, but I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to right now. I don't have room in my garage nor all the tools to pull the engine myself. The car has 117k on it, here is the noise it's making.

https://youtu.be/pJLczmlhHok
Mike03Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Re: 03 Mach 1 Engine noise

Thanks does not sound good. Can you get an audio from under the car? Do you think it is coming from down below (aka rods) or could it be valve train related from the top? Seems to idle just fine though so kind of doubt valve train related.

Also concerned with all the knock/slap when you first started it up. Could be a bad timing chain tensioner or chain guide broke. Both not uncommon.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
MOVNSKR

You can use something like a garden hose that is around 4 feet long that you can put one side against your ear. You want to go around the valve covers, idler pulleys and the lower part of the engine while the engine is running. You should be able to hear where the nose is coming from with this method.
MOVNSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
MAD_MACh1

Never heard a garden hose before. I've used a broom handle or even a 2x4 before but never anything rubber. Cool Tip
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
Mike03Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 View Post
Thanks does not sound good. Can you get an audio from under the car? Do you think it is coming from down below (aka rods) or could it be valve train related from the top? Seems to idle just fine though so kind of doubt valve train related.

Also concerned with all the knock/slap when you first started it up. Could be a bad timing chain tensioner or chain guide broke. Both not uncommon.
I'll get a video of the sound from under the car this weekend. The sound gets worse as you give it some gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVNSKR View Post
You can use something like a garden hose that is around 4 feet long that you can put one side against your ear. You want to go around the valve covers, idler pulleys and the lower part of the engine while the engine is running. You should be able to hear where the nose is coming from with this method.
I'll try and see if I can pinpoint the sound this weekend. I hope it's something that won't require a new engine. I've looked around and they aren't cheap.
Mike03Mach is offline   Reply With Quote