2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Power Adders

Power Adders Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous, etc...

Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #751
TTSaleen
SVT Enthusiast

Re: Eaton Swap.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
You don't need a special dampner to run the Metco set up. It's designed to bolt up to the stock dampner. There are other set ups for aftermarket dampners such as the ones Innovators West make.

Personally I'm keeping the stock caged set up. My buddy has the Metco set up and while he's been ok with his ported eaton, he's had belt alignment issues since installing it. We're going to have to have the hub machined to line things up correctly.
I recently removed the stock caged lower on my 03 Cobra and installed the Metco 2# lower kit.
I also had alignment issues where my belt would jump 1 rib off on the backside of the lower pulley.
I was able to fix it by shimming the top of the Metco bracket out using a couple of flat washers. No issues since, HOWEVER it sucks that Metco quality is like that.
I agree that machining the hub slightly should fix the issue, but I wanted a quick/easy solution.

We've run the Metco stuff for years on other cars at our shop without any known failures.
However I have seen on the internet of guys having issues when going to larger blowers such as the Whipple 3.4 and 4.0 models.

Ryan
Instagram - ttsaleen
YouTube - 98saleen

Former -
2003 Mach 1 - Torch Red - Auto - Eaton Swap = 472rwhp
Link to build thread - http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...d.php?t=132733
TTSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #752
01yellerCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSaleen View Post
I recently removed the stock caged lower on my 03 Cobra and installed the Metco 2# lower kit.
I also had alignment issues where my belt would jump 1 rib off on the backside of the lower pulley.
I was able to fix it by shimming the top of the Metco bracket out using a couple of flat washers. No issues since, HOWEVER it sucks that Metco quality is like that.
I agree that machining the hub slightly should fix the issue, but I wanted a quick/easy solution.

We've run the Metco stuff for years on other cars at our shop without any known failures.
However I have seen on the internet of guys having issues when going to larger blowers such as the Whipple 3.4 and 4.0 models.

Ryan
That's the same problem my buddy is having. We were looking at it here at my house and we could watch the belt walk off the back of the crank pulley. It's the only one that does that too.

I've known one failure personally of the Metco pulley. I installed one on a friends car and a few thousand miles later the pulley fell off the hub. He looked at it and the bolts had sheared that held it on. He was running a Whipple 2.3. I have plans for a 2.9 in the future. Hence why I want to stick with the caged lower.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #753
TTSaleen
SVT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
That's the same problem my buddy is having. We were looking at it here at my house and we could watch the belt walk off the back of the crank pulley. It's the only one that does that too.

I've known one failure personally of the Metco pulley. I installed one on a friends car and a few thousand miles later the pulley fell off the hub. He looked at it and the bolts had sheared that held it on. He was running a Whipple 2.3. I have plans for a 2.9 in the future. Hence why I want to stick with the caged lower.
Makes sense. I saw the thread on SVTP about the 4lb caged lower and that was cool!
Instagram - ttsaleen
YouTube - 98saleen

Former -
Old 10-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #754
McQueen_z71

Has anyone been able to match up a metco lower hub to our stock balancer?
I didnt really want to have to get a cobra balancer, but its looking more and more that im going to have to, just so I can install my 4lb lower assembly.
Just turning up the waters to see if anyone has done it and has a template for the redrilling.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #755
fastlane

I used a Metco setup with a stock balancer without issue. I will say that if you are going to run more than 10 psi of boost, use the upper hole for the idler on the Metco bracket. I had issues with the belt walking off the front of the crank pulley using the lower idler position. It was causing the alternator to flex too much and was throwing/eating the belt. I am running a Whipple 3.4@25psi though so I know that isn't helping. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you get the hub setup installed.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #756
McQueen_z71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
I used a Metco setup with a stock balancer without issue. I will say that if you are going to run more than 10 psi of boost, use the upper hole for the idler on the Metco bracket. I had issues with the belt walking off the front of the crank pulley using the lower idler position. It was causing the alternator to flex too much and was throwing/eating the belt. I am running a Whipple 3.4@25psi though so I know that isn't helping. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you get the hub setup installed.
Yea, im just currently using the hub and ring for my setup. I dont have the bridge and all the relocated item for mine. It currently has a marauder bracket setup to be different.
Crazy to hear someone didnt have a problem bolting there hub right up with no problems but my stocker doesnt line up with the metco holes.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #757
hendrixinthe70s
the red project

Just a quick question. I recently did my swap and i noticed a flat spot for just a second around 4000 rpms and it picks right back up. I have a boost a pump with the stock pump and im thinking that could be the issue. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

03 mach1
full bassani exauhst
jlt rai
sportline lowering kit
hendrixinthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:45 PM   #758
fastlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixinthe70s View Post
Just a quick question. I recently did my swap and i noticed a flat spot for just a second around 4000 rpms and it picks right back up. I have a boost a pump with the stock pump and im thinking that could be the issue. Has anyone else noticed this issue?
I used a boost a pump with my stock pump for a bit and I never noticed any flat spots during pulls.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #759
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixinthe70s View Post
Does it happen during a shift or while being out of the throttle and then stabbing the throttle really fast? If so, could be the pprv getting hung closed.

Has the car been dyno tuned?
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 PM   #760
hendrixinthe70s
the red project

For me its when im floored and right at about 4k but its literally like a half second and it continues to pull.

03 mach1
full bassani exauhst
jlt rai
sportline lowering kit
Old 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #761
Lucillethemach

I am in the middle of my Eaton Swap, I am needing a stock cobra pulley and the heat exchanger mounting brackets and hardware. Any suggestions on where to find these?
Lucillethemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #762
fastlane

The heat exchanger brackets are almost unobtainable. Ford doesn't make them and I haven't found any place that makes aftermarket ones. I got lucky a few months ago and found some on eBay though...so keep checking eBay or Mustang forum classifieds.

Last edited by fastlane; 07-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #763
TTSaleen
SVT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillethemach View Post
I am in the middle of my Eaton Swap, I am needing a stock cobra pulley and the heat exchanger mounting brackets and hardware. Any suggestions on where to find these?
Quote:
The heat exchanger brackets are almost unobtainable. Ford doesn't make them and I haven't found any place that does makes aftermarket ones. I got lucky a few months ago and found some on eBay though...so keep checking eBay or Mustang forum classifieds.
Agreed. I found a nice set on Ebay recently for my Mach 1 project for under $125 shipped.
Instagram - ttsaleen
YouTube - 98saleen

Former -
Old 07-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #764
311-420
Can't be bridled

^These guys have already said it, but eBay is a good one. Mps auto salvage is worth calling as well. Maybe even put a feeler out in the terminator parts classifieds section of svtperformance. The factory pulley should be easy to find. Worst case, you can make some brackets.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #765
Lucillethemach

Thanks guys!
Lucillethemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #766
hendrixinthe70s
the red project

So im running the stock mach 1 fuel pump with a boost a pump and looking to upgrade. What pump do you guys recommend?

03 mach1
full bassani exauhst
jlt rai
sportline lowering kit
Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #767
311-420
Can't be bridled

I'm using an aeromotive 340 stealth
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 10-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #768
TTSaleen
SVT Enthusiast

Quote:

Ryan
I wanted to update this issue that I have fixed recently.
In the provided instructions, it says that with their smaller pulleys (2 and 4 pound increase) to only use the idler at the lowest setting on the supplied aluminum bracket. This is how I did mine, but had belt walk issues.
I decided to move the idler up to the higher setting, which meant using a longer belt, but also gave me more belt-wrap.
Would you believe this solved my belt issues?
While I had this off, I also ensured my alternator was lined up properly and removed all previous installed shims/washers I had added before.

I have had the car this way for 3 months and zero belt issues ever since.
Nice to fix the problem, but I just wish the instructions would have told me this in the beginning!

So my suggestion, if using the Metco lower pulley kit, put the idler pulley onto the highest setting on the supplied aluminum bracket and use a longer belt.

Ryan
Instagram - ttsaleen
YouTube - 98saleen

Former -
Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #769
fastlane

Quote:
I wanted to update this issue that I have fixed recently.
In the provided instructions, it says that with their smaller pulleys (2 and 4 pound increase) to only use the idler at the lowest setting on the supplied aluminum bracket. This is how I did mine, but had belt walk issues.
I decided to move the idler up to the higher setting, which meant using a longer belt, but also gave me more belt-wrap.
Would you believe this solved my belt issues?
While I had this off, I also ensured my alternator was lined up properly and removed all previous installed shims/washers I had added before.

I have had the car this way for 3 months and zero belt issues ever since.
Nice to fix the problem, but I just wish the instructions would have told me this in the beginning!

So my suggestion, if using the Metco lower pulley kit, put the idler pulley onto the highest setting on the supplied aluminum bracket and use a longer belt.

Ryan
I had this issue as well once I went with a Whipple 3.4 at 25 psi. The lower pulley setting would cause the alternator to get pulled forward and caused the belt to jump constantly. I moved the idler pulley up and all was good for the most part. I did have to fabricate a bracket that bolted the back of the alternator to the block and that was the final cure for any belt walk I experienced.

For anyone using a bigger blower or lots of boost, I suggest sourcing a factory caged lower due to the stress on the crank snout caused by the Metco setup. This was advice given to me by my tuner that I have since followed.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #770
hendrixinthe70s
the red project

So i have a stock intake with a drop in filter and stock headers with a bassani cat back exhaust, thinking about getting a full cai, throttle body and headers. What kind of power bump should i be expecting and are long tubes better than shorty headers?

03 mach1
full bassani exauhst
jlt rai
sportline lowering kit
Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #771
azureblue_04

I'm in the process of bolting my eaton swap back together and have a few questions.

1) If anyone is using a 3.0" upper pulley what kind of boost are you making?
2) Has anyone tuned your own eaton swap?

Thanks!
azureblue_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #772
fastlane

I ran a 3" upper and stock lower on a stage 4 Steggy ported Eaton. I made just over 12 psi of boost. It was good for 498 rwhp.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #773
azureblue_04

Quote:
I ran a 3" upper and stock lower on a stage 4 Steggy ported Eaton. I made just over 12 psi of boost. It was good for 498 rwhp.
Thanks, so the Metco lower kit with the underdrive ring should put it 10psi.

I'm probably going to put a stock upper on until I get the tune figured out then.
azureblue_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #774
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by azureblue_04 View Post
I'm in the process of bolting my eaton swap back together and have a few questions.

Thanks!
That's going to be dependant on the exhaust setup, geographic location, atmospheric conditions of the day, number of cubic inches etc...I believe the general rule of thumb is roughly 1psi of boost increase for every tenth (.1) you go down in upper pulley size. With stock being 3.65" you should pick up roughly 6psi by going to a 3" upper.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #775
01yellerCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by azureblue_04 View Post

2) Has anyone tuned your own eaton swap?

Thanks!
Not apples to apples, but for reference....

1) I have a 2.93 upper on my 04 with the stock power. I've seen 12psi according to my Aeroforce gauge. That's with stock manifolds, Bassani catted X, and Stingers. Also my compression is only 8.5:1. Your higher compression might affect it as well.

2) I tuned my 04 myself. It's not really that hard. I've tuned a couple other cars as well.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote