2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Old 03-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
LXS

Have a question about my door speakers and FAD/Balanace

I have no idea if Ford wired it this way but, when I adjust the fad to the rear speakers only, my front door speakers remain on. My highs/tweeters are blown, so when I adjust the fad to the front only, I have zero sound. I have an aftermarket Pioneer double din (nothing fancy) I installed about a year ago, but I’ve had the fad “problem” with the stock head unit. So is this correct? Or do I have bad wiring somewhere? I bought my car used back in ‘08, so I have no idea what the previous owner(s) may have done. Any help, feedback, info would be greatly appreciated! ����

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
01yellerCobra

Something isn't wired correctly somewhere. Did the harness look ok when you swapped out the head units? The balance and fade should work the same on stock and aftermarket head units.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
LXS

Re: Have a question about my door speakers and FAD/Balanace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
Something isn't wired correctly somewhere. Did the harness look ok when you swapped out the head units? The balance and fade should work the same on stock and aftermarket head units.

They looked fine to me when I swapped them out. I was watching a YouTube vid by a shop, the guy is doing a head unit swap on a Mustang vert and explains that the lower door speakers, just like the rear deck ones, are sub woofers which apparently aren’t controlled by balance or fade. But if going aftermarket, it can be controlled with balance/fade

YouTube link: https://youtu.be/_CRH4IX8ZJ8

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
LXS

Oh, and my amp’s fuse holder melted for the 2nd time. I have a 4 gauge power wire running straight from the battery to my amp, with the fuse mounted approx 6” from the battery. I installed my bass setup back in ‘08 and never had any issues, then all of a sudden late last year, the fuse melted. I replaced it back in November and it melted again! I have a 40 amp fuse in it, and the holder itself is a Scosche (purchases at Walmart).

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Last edited by LXS; 03-27-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
TKat13
Mach-T

I'd like to help, but not sure if I fully understand how your setup is different from the stock. Meaning...
1. Are you door and rear deck speakers stock?
2. Do you still have the rear deck mounted amps?
3. what wiring have you done; sounds like you have installed an amp in the truck?
4. 4 amp fuse? must be a type?
5. Have you changed any of the speaker wiring to the rear deck and/or door speakers? If so, what
6. Sounds like you installed head unit; how was the speaker outputs wired up? Meaning, in a normal install, you would / could wire in the 2.5" speakers in the door pods and rear deck to the deck's power output level. Then the sub out should be wired to the rear amps. Of course, you must have a lowpass and high pass crossovers configured in your head unit, otherwise you will blow those little 2.5" speakers. So, knowing how your head unit is wired would be huge in this case.
7. What wire kit did you use on your head unit?
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
LXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
I'd like to help, but not sure if I fully understand how your setup is different from the stock. Meaning...
1. Are you door and rear deck speakers stock?
All speakers are stock

Quote:
2. Do you still have the rear deck mounted amps?
Yes, rear deck amps are in place, nothing has been removed or swapped out, including speakers

Quote:
3. what wiring have you done; sounds like you have installed an amp in the truck?
I've wired in the wires for the Performance Technique amp (800+watts) in the truck, which powers only my bass speaker which is a 15" Solo Baric. I also did the wiring for the Pioneer head unit I installed a year ago and the splitter to tap into the rear deck speakers, which sends the signal to my Solo Baric.

Quote:
4. 4 amp fuse? must be a type?
Correct, it was a typo, I am using a 40 amp fuse

[QUOTE=TKat13;1630454] 5. Have you changed any of the speaker wiring to the rear deck and/or door speakers? If so, what[/quote[

All speakers are original, have yet to touch any of them.

Quote:
6. Sounds like you installed head unit; how was the speaker outputs wired up? Meaning, in a normal install, you would / could wire in the 2.5" speakers in the door pods and rear deck to the deck's power output level. Then the sub out should be wired to the rear amps. Of course, you must have a lowpass and high pass crossovers configured in your head unit, otherwise you will blow those little 2.5" speakers. So, knowing how your head unit is wired would be huge in this case.
I bought a harness conversion kit from Crutchfield, all I did was match the wires from the head unit to the part I ordered then plugged it into the stock harness. Two of the three stock wire harness plugs are solely being used. I didn't cut or mess with any of the original wires, I tried to keep it as headache free as possible lol. To my understanding, since the lower door speakers are bass speakers, it makes sense that they remain on when I move the fade to the rear, and turn off when fade to the front. Or am I incorrect in thinking this? I do plan (eventually) on replacing and upgrading all of my car's speakers to better quality ones, just too busy at the moment to do so. I hope I was able to answer all of your questions, and if not, I'll do my best to answer or clear up with your follow up response/questions. Thanks for you time, I truly appreciate it!

Quote:
7. What wire kit did you use on your head unit?

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #7
LXS

For a better visual of the fuse holder...

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
TKat13
Mach-T

Sorry, been away from the computer;

Wow, that is a very Bad! I cannot see how any of your other wiring would create a mess like that so we can focus on your Amp install.

To melt the fuse holder is caused by heat; the source of heat in this case would be a higher than expected current draw such as a bad component in line or a direct short in your power cable.

1. I would pay extremely close attention to your wire and make sure you do not have a cut somewhere that is causing a short.
2. Test the subwoofer, make sure the voice coil is still smooth, push it in and out gently and evenly. If it feels like there is 'sand' in there, it would be bad. A bad subwoofer will increase the current draw, for example, the amp will be under a higher load,
2b. Check the speaker wires going to your sub, look for a cut wire, aka current draw/short.
3. Smell your amp, does it smell burnt?
4. Check the ground to your amp.
5. You could put a 12volt auto bulb/test light inline on the positive cable, meaning jumper in place of the fuse with everything off. The light should be off or very dim, if bright, then you have a current draw that you should not have, aka short. That could be the power cable or internally inside the amp.

That is pretty. much it.

BTW, your fader should work properly if you wired up the head unit correctly, fade front to back will control the 6x8s as well.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
LXS

Quote:
Sorry, been away from the computer;

Wow, that is a very Bad! I cannot see how any of your other wiring would create a mess like that so we can focus on your Amp install.

To melt the fuse holder is caused by heat; the source of heat in this case would be a higher than expected current draw such as a bad component in line or a direct short in your power cable.

1. I would pay extremely close attention to your wire and make sure you do not have a cut somewhere that is causing a short.
2. Test the subwoofer, make sure the voice coil is still smooth, push it in and out gently and evenly. If it feels like there is 'sand' in there, it would be bad. A bad subwoofer will increase the current draw, for example, the amp will be under a higher load,
2b. Check the speaker wires going to your sub, look for a cut wire, aka current draw/short.
3. Smell your amp, does it smell burnt?
4. Check the ground to your amp.
5. You could put a 12volt auto bulb/test light inline on the positive cable, meaning jumper in place of the fuse with everything off. The light should be off or very dim, if bright, then you have a current draw that you should not have, aka short. That could be the power cable or internally inside the amp.

That is pretty. much it.

BTW, your fader should work properly if you wired up the head unit correctly, fade front to back will control the 6x8s as well.
Thanks a lot for your time and knowledge!! I’m definitely going to be looking at everything you said to do! I hope the problem isn’t my amp or speaker, they are old (a good 10 years, possibly older) and they’re also the best bass setup I’ve got! Lol

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!