2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #251
xMach

Re: Ask A Police Officer

sorry. i guess the question is what is the limit of lowering a car?

mods

slp off road x pipe
slp loudmouth
jlt rai
mgw shifter with t handle
php spacer
tokico 5 way adjustable in the front
mm caster and camber plates
mm adjustable rear control arms
eibach sportline springs. yeah its kind of low.
raptor shift light. too bright.
frpp 410 gears at last.
nx 100 shot with rwtd tune
stock rear axles
xMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #252
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

I don't know off the top of my head, but I'll try to help you out. Vehicles can't be too low or too high, example i.e. dumped low riders, and lifted 4 wheeliers.

In the old days, officers would turn their site book on it'ss edge and if it wouldn't fit under the car, it was too low. I recall that was 6" but I will need to look that up to verify.

Hope this helps,

Michael
New Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #253
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I don't know off the top of my head, but I'll try to help you out. Vehicles can't be too low or too high, example i.e. dumped low riders, and lifted 4 wheeliers.

In the old days, officers would turn their site book on it'ss edge and if it wouldn't fit under the car, it was too low. I recall that was 6" but I will need to look that up to verify.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Same laws here. To high and to low. Just need to land in the middle.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* Flowmaster Axel Back Exhaust
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe
* Shaker 1000 audio system

2004 White Mach 1
* Super Forty Flowmaster Mufflers
* Bassani On/Off road X-pipe
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Mach&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 PM   #254
STG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMach
sorry. i guess the question is what is the limit of lowering a car?
Here's the California Vehicle Code:

Modification of Vehicles

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

This can be really lowif you've got 24" wheels with 30 series rubber!
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #255
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG
Here's the California Vehicle Code:

Modification of Vehicles

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.
This sounds like NJ's "Altering after inspection" law. Once the car is inspected and registered in the state, it is unlawful to alter the car in anyway. I don't recall ever seeing a problem with cars that are lowered. I know there is an issue with bumper heights on raised trucks.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #256
Starsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHrophage
That is not going to fly in court b/c an officer is a "trained observer." Courts generally find that due to an officers occupation his/her ability to accurately observe and recall is better than average...therefore if an officer off duty or on duty comes into court takes an oath and states " joe blow was speeding, I know he was speeding b/c I saw him exceeding the legal limit." joe blow is going to have to come up with some really good explaination as to why the officers observations are not accurate. ( i.e. it was raining, mistaken identity, etc...)

Additionally, although opinion testimony is only allowed under limited circumstances in courts any person can give opinion testimony regarding general matters that most individuals have experienced...speed, whether or not someone is intoxicated,approximations of height and weight, etc...are allowed. Ordinary citizens can testify in court to these matters, so officers can too.
Here in Austin, if a cop pulled over someone off duty for a traffic violation he would be branded a Squirrel. Its also in our policy that we will not enforce misdemeanor violations off duty but if we feel strongly about it, can call for an on duty officer to respond. In cases of felony or life and death situations, we will take action off duty if safe to do so. Our speedometers are calibrated every 90 days. if they are out of date, no tickets for speeding are given using the vehicle to pace.
03 Torch Red Auto #451655
Mods:

MGW interior trinkets
"281" hood graphics
Visus Louvers, "Mustang" inserts
Tint, JbL Tweeters
side roof panel emblems
MRT H PIPE MAGNAFLOW CATBACK
MRT BLACK CHROME ROLLED TIPS
stars and stripes pony
Mach 1 Scuff Plate
MGW Auto "T" handle,
4.6 hi performance emblems
Honeycomb trunk panels
AFS 17X9's on rear
SCT chip
4.10 FMS gears
C&L complete intake setup
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #257
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky
Here in Austin, if a cop pulled over someone off duty for a traffic violation he would be branded a Squirrel. Its also in our policy that we will not enforce misdemeanor violations off duty but if we feel strongly about it, can call for an on duty officer to respond. In cases of felony or life and death situations, we will take action off duty if safe to do so. Our speedometers are calibrated every 90 days. if they are out of date, no tickets for speeding are given using the vehicle to pace.
That is cool every 90 huh? I like that idea.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* Flowmaster Axel Back Exhaust
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe
* Shaker 1000 audio system

2004 White Mach 1
* Super Forty Flowmaster Mufflers
* Bassani On/Off road X-pipe
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Mach&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #258
streakn
Day by day.

Back from work guys, couple of hours of sleep, chips and dip and a game of football. Let's get it on.
streakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #259
kopacko

Ugh...got a DUI drag racer last night.

2004 Competition Orange Mach1, 5-Speed
Dyno: 299 RWHP | 322 RWTQ (SAE)

BUILD DATE: 03/16/2004
PURCHASED: 05/20/2004
VIN: 1FAFP42RX4F210686
----------------------------------------
Speed of Sound Gauge Pod w/ VDO Gauges
Steed 3-point Front Strut Tower Brace
Steed Rear Shock Tower Brace (Welded)
UPR Off-Road X-Pipe + Steeda Cat-Back
SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #260
FloridaOrange
SCS Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
Ugh...got a DUI drag racer last night.
Sounds like a smart guy. Too bad you couldn't just let him drive into a pole...I hate drunk drivers.
FloridaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #261
blieknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvCrash
This sounds like NJ's "Altering after inspection" law. Once the car is inspected and registered in the state, it is unlawful to alter the car in anyway. I don't recall ever seeing a problem with cars that are lowered. I know there is an issue with bumper heights on raised trucks.
Yes i think here in NJ the laws are very strict which does not allow any room for after market modifications to the extierior of a vehicle exe. no tint on front window's front plates and fog lights must be within regulation hight or you could get pulled over.
blieknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #262
streakn
Day by day.

Here's to lighten the mood.

An 80 year old woman was arrested for shop lifting. When she went before
the judge he asked her, "What did you steal?" She replied: a can of peaches. The judge asked her why she had stolen them and she replied that she was hungry.

The judge then asked her how many peaches were in the can. She replied 6. The judge then said, "I will give you 6 days in jail." Before the judge could actually pronounce the punishment the woman's husband spoke up and asked the judge if he could say something. He said, " What is it?" The husband said "She also stole a can of peas."
Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #263
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakn
Here's to lighten the mood.

An 80 year old woman was arrested for shop lifting. When she went before
the judge he asked her, "What did you steal?" She replied: a can of peaches. The judge asked her why she had stolen them and she replied that she was hungry.

The judge then asked her how many peaches were in the can. She replied 6. The judge then said, "I will give you 6 days in jail." Before the judge could actually pronounce the punishment the woman's husband spoke up and asked the judge if he could say something. He said, " What is it?" The husband said "She also stole a can of peas."
Very good....I like it.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #264
mmustangsrus
res. crazy hottie poster

Talking Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Pedro Mach
All we need now is for Machfelon to start a 'Ask A Felon' thread. LOL.
:LAUGH: :LAUGH: BUT SERIOUS I LIKE THE IDEA BTW

03-black cobra R.I.P.
03-azure blue mach 1 born on 3-11-03 gone but not forgotten
black 03 cobra vert. SVT 10th anniv. ,95 DARK GREEN GT
if your worried about fuel economy,buy a honda. just think about whats more important to you. saving a few bucks at the pump, or driving around with a boner
mmustangsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #265
STG

That would just be another Brokeback Mountain thread.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #266
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmustangsrus
:LAUGH: :LAUGH: BUT SERIOUS I LIKE THE IDEA BTW
Maybe he could share how to make some McGyver tattoo gun's, alcohol (forget what they call it), or home made shanks and lighters from the electrical socket.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #267
8616v

here's a question/situation...

Its later at night...sometime after 8:30 or so...the time isn't really important just that its hardely peak traffic hours. A car pulls up to a red light from a side street and stops. there is clearly no traffic coming on the cross road. after a solid stop and look around the driver of the car decides that his time is too valueable to waste sitting at an emtpy intersection, so he turns...goes straight...what ever, he procedes through the intersection. now the question...having witnessed this do you pull him over and give him a ticket or warning or just pretend you didn't see it?
Born: 03/26/2003 Bought: 09/07/2005
8616v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #268
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8616v

Its later at night...sometime after 8:30 or so...the time isn't really important just that its hardely peak traffic hours. A car pulls up to a red light from a side street and stops. there is clearly no traffic coming on the cross road. after a solid stop and look around the driver of the car decides that his time is too valueable to waste sitting at an emtpy intersection, so he turns...goes straight...what ever, he procedes through the intersection. now the question...having witnessed this do you pull him over and give him a ticket or warning or just pretend you didn't see it?
Cops can do all 3 things you mentioned. Personally if you blew the red...you blew the red. What's the emergency? I've responded to a call where I get the red light and the light just takes forever. I still have to wait at the light like evryone else. Unless I'm cleared for lights and siren. Now depending on the situation it will be up to the officer to either cite you or warn you. Was it in a rural country road or a inner city intersection. It's up to the officer (letter of the law or spirit of the law). Letter of the law being no warnings by the book. Spirit of the law being, able to flex and give some understanding to the citizen. Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #269
kopacko

The red light is there for a reason. If I saw it, I would give him a ticket. I give more tickets for stop signs/red lights then I do speeding.

In our area, disobeying a traffic control device causes more wreck than speeders.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 PM   #270
JRKANOT
Lurking since 04-12-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8616v

I would make the stop and have the conversation. In your scenario if everything checked out (not drunk or wanted, drug possession,illegal alien, etc.) and you explained it to me as you did in your post I would just give a verbal warning.

Assuming you must have seen the patrol car if the patrolman saw you make this move I now have two questions. 1.Why after seeing the patrol car did you run the light? and 2.After being stopped and talked, to and receiving the warning, how much time did you actually save? Not saying you did any of this just replying to the post as if you did.

Sorry so long but if you pull up to a signal at 3am and you see a cop don't run the light. If you do..... expect to be stopped.... because the officer has a duty to check into the situation.
JRKANOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #271
JJPMach1
Red IS the Fastest !!!!

Do cops look for "out of towners"?

Reason is... Today I had to go look at a job in a Shore Town here on the Jersey coast. Anyway, I was sitting at the red light, 1st in the line. A cop rode across the intersection and gave me one of these I thought to myself "myself, you're getting a ticket". Anyway I was heading out of the Island and just got to the top of the Bridge, and guess who is flying up behind me. I see him typing on his PC and then He's on me. So I get pulled over. Turns out I forgot to renew my regristration, BFD!!! I didn't do anything wrong when he saw me, so why did I get singled out when I was sitting at a stop light?
66 Mustang Convertible 289, Currently in my 15th year of this restoration project
Current Mods:
Magnaflow Cat Back system, C&L CAI & MAF, Steeda Shifter, Accufab Throttle Body, UPR firewall Adjuster & Quadrant, IAC Restrictor Plate, Diablo Custom Tune, PHP Intake Spacer, 03 Cobra IRS, Steeda Bushings & 4.10's
Wishlist:
Cams, FR 500 Intake, Port & polish

Last edited by JJPMach1; 02-06-2006 at 10:08 PM.
JJPMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #272
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

Have you ever gone fishing? Cops fish too!

When you run a plate, you can find out if the car is stolen or unregistered and so on. In your case since you "forgot" to register your car, you were given a reminder slip (ticket), no BFD.

Moreover, most cops are not looking to ticket someone, but rather to get PC to see if you're a real bad guy, warrants, stolen guns or drugs etc. in the car.

Case in point, this weekend there was a routine call in an aparment complex with 2 rookies and 2 FTO’s. The call was just a disturbance call and really no big deal, across the way (adjacent apartment) a fellow comes out to see what all the fuss is about.

When he opens the door the order of marijuana comes roaring out the door with him. One of the rookies goes over and asked if he can come in. Long story short, he was arrested for 1 lb of pot, 1 1/2 lbs of methanphetamine and 2 stolen guns, all in plain site.

That's why most cops will pull someone over; you never know when you're going to get the big fish.

To answer your question about out of towners, Cops are people too, and as such, they have different reasons for doing different things. I know of no one that goes after out of towners on purpose.
New Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #273
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Case in point, this weekend there was a routine call in an aparment complex with 2 rookies and 2 FTO’s. The call was just a disturbance call and really no big deal, across the way (adjacent apartment) a fellow comes out to see what all the fuss is about.

When he opens the door the order of marijuana comes roaring out the door with him. One of the rookies goes over and asked if he can come in. Long story short, he was arrested for 1 lb of pot, 1 1/2 lbs of methanphetamine and 2 stolen guns, all in plain site.
Nice dig!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #274
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPMach1
Do cops look for "out of towners"?
Quote:
...Cops are people too, and as such, they have different reasons for doing different things. I know of no one that goes after out of towners on purpose.
I honestly try to give out of towners more of a break, but they are usually the ones with the bad attitudes.

The locals know we are out on the streets, they know where we tend to sit and run radar, yet they still speed.

So to answer you question, there really isn't an answer, every town, every officer, every situation is different.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #275
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Interesting reading

If you are a cop, were a cop, live with a cop, or

are close to a cop you will recognize alot of the

following:

FASCINATION STAGE - 1st thru 4th year of Law

Enforcement.

For most officers, this is their first time outside

of the middle class bubble. They have never seen a

dead body, never seen life-threatening injuries,

never dealt with a family disturbance, never

witnessed the squalor some people call "living

life", and never really understood the phrase "Man's

Inhumanity To Man" until now.

Everything is new to them. You can ID them by the

amount of fancy new equipment they carry...a ten

BILLION candlelight power flashlight,

"state-of-the-art" holster, pens that write in the

rain, a ballistic vest rated to stop Tomahawk

missiles, and an equipment bag large enough to house

a squad of Marines. They love it, showing up early

for their shift. They work way past the end of their

shift without even considering an OT slip. They

believe rank within the department is based only on

ability and those in the upper ranks got there by

knowledge and skill in police work only.

They believe the Department runs with the same

attention to detail and efficiency as Joe Friday's

Dragnet TV show....everyone is dedicated &

committed, everyone is competent, and everyone is on

the same page and working towards the same

high-minded goals. When they finally go home to

their spouse/significant other, they tell them

everything they did and saw; they are wired up. Some

of the more "eaten up" purchase a police scanner at

Radio Shack so they can hear the radio calls while

at home.

HOSTILITY STAGE - 4th thru 6th year

They now show up for work about 2 minutes before

their shift, and they are hiding out about 30

minutes before end of shift, writing reports

so they can just throw them in the sergeant's in-box

and leave ASAP. They have to get to their second job

to earn money to pay for the divorce that is

pending. Their spouse is no longer interested in

hearing about all the gore and heartache. They get

the "you spend more time with the cops than you do

with me" speech. They now know how the lieutenant

got those silver bars on his collar. They consider

the FOP, the city, and all brass to be as dangerous

as any viper. They gripe about everything, drink

excessively, chase women, and hate the public,

politicians, media, etc. They feel they have more in

common with the hookers, thieves, dopers, etc. but

hate them too.

Those pens that write in the rain are no longer

needed. Writing traffic citations can be a lot more

trouble than they are worth, even on a nice day To

write one, or to write anything while standing in

the rain, is a sure sign of an insane person.

SUPERIORITY STAGE - 7th thru 15th years

This is when cops are at their best. They have

survived changes in administration. They know how

the political game is played, both inside and

outside of the department. They know who they can

trust and who they can't. They have select friends

within the department, and stay away, as best they

can, from the nuts and boot-lickers. They know the

legal system, the judges, prosecutors, defense

attorneys, etc. They know how to testify and put a

good case together. They are usually the ones that

the brass turns to when there is some clandestine

request or sensitive operation that needs to be done

right.

These cops are still physically fit and can handle

themselves on the street. They will stay around the

station when needed, but have other commitments;

such as a second job, a second spouse, a second

boyfriend/girlfriend (sometimes both), etc. They

have most of their friends outside of Law

Enforcement now.

ACCEPTANCE STAGE - 15th to????

Now the cops have a single objective... retirement

and pension. Nothing is going to come between them

and their monthly check. The boss, the city (or

State, or county), the idiots around the station,

and the creeps on the street can all go to hell...

because they could come between them and "sitting on

the beach". There is no topic of discussion that

can't somehow lead back to retirement issues. These

guys are usually sergeants, detectives, crime scene

technicians, station duty, or some other post where

they will not be endangered.

They especially don't want some young stupid cop

getting them sued, fired, killed, or anything else

causing them to lose their "beach time". These guys

are usually hard to find when the "clusters" hit.

They spend a lot of time having coffee, hanging

around the station, and looking at brochures of

things they want to do in retirement. Then the

retired cop usually dies within the first five years

of retirement, saving the city (or State, or county)

a bunch of money.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06