2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
JoshMac

Sound of the New 5.0

I have been a little bored this morning, and after hearing a couple new Five Ohs last night I was looking for exhaust vids on youtube. I have been around a few at local strips and meets but never really payed much attention to them other than knowing I would like one.

Since the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order has been around the Mustang has had the "sound" I can hear a Mustang from miles away. The Mustang has a sound that can't be mimicked and can't be beat. It can be ruined(any 4.6 esp. 32V without cats IMO) but mostly its still there, but this new Coyote has lost it. I guess its just the change in firing order, to me they all sound horrible.

I searched and searched for a 5.0 that had exhaust that If I had one I would enjoy, and I haven't found one. They all have that crackly pop of Camaro/Challenger to me. Now I find myself turning to find what horrible thing is making that noise, but nothing more than a New 5.0. I love the car, love the platform, all the new and improved technology, but the Mustang sound is gone.

This concludes my "Roast" of the new Stang, just thought I would see if anyone else has found that the sound we as Mustang Owners are so proud to have, is a thing of the past
JoshMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Mach1tosh

Re: Sound of the New 5.0

I heard one yesterday at the local dealer's when it pulled onto the lot, can't say I noticed anything in particular except that it seemed quieter than it should. Maybe it's just that I'm used to my Borla Stingers on the Mach, but it just didn't sound "right".
Old 09-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Mikestang
Parrot Head

After having mine for a year I can say its not as quiet as it was new but still the car is pretty quiet...

As far as the sound I did notice its not the same sound as my previous mustangs and variations of the 4.6

To me it sounds more european than american muscle it just does not rumble like the old motors. however I am a huge fan of VCT and I can tell you that thing halls *** all the way through the rpm range i mean it just pulls and does not let up...

So ill deal with the "sound issue"...
03 MACH1 Torch Red #274 Built 11/14/02 Home 12/07/02 Payed off 09/17/07 MRT powershift, W\Hurst T-handle, Painted hood stripe, AFS 10.5 and 9.0 Crome Mach 1Wheels, Ford GT Coil Covers.
"If She had a set a wings, Man I know She could fly "
2011 Kona Blue Metalic Mustang GT Premium 5.0 Rolling on 19s
"2011 Will Be Known As The Year They Perfected The Mustang "
06 Victory Kingpin With more mods than I can list
http://home.roadrunner.com/~crazyhorse/
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

I like snap, crackle, and pop I agree under normal acceleration catless systems have an annoying sound (x pipe) but under hard acceleration it sounds good to me (watch the vid I posted in the exhaust section). I like the stock H pipe sound better when it's on. It's just a lot of fun to be loud every once in a while.
As for the 5.0, I was a little disappointed on the vids I've seen. I'd never do flowmasters for sure.
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Unrealford
Mustang owner since 1984

Try this sound out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-HcxHqLgw
http://www.dragzine.com/news/moms-ra...2013-schedule/
Unrealford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Firebreed05
Certified Goat Herder

I'd rather BE fast than only SOUND fast....but that's just me.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
ShakeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreed05 View Post
I've beaten a lot of loud cars at the track. I couldn't even hear my car until I left them sitting there

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Mach828
Dark Knight

I agree. I feel exactly the same way. I really dislike how they sound.

Its not the 4.6 2v and 4v deep, smooth, clean sound. I don't like how 3v sound either though.

However, the only one I found that sounds pretty mean is this one at WOT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BqLI_UtsY

But still doesn't sound like the 4v 4.6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87n8jhVO784

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
4valve 4tw?

Not the firing order I dont believe. On the vette forums, they were talking about the c7 and the different ways it might sound since they are switching engine families. One of the cars the brough up of course, was the mustang. Somebody brought up the firing order thing and actually commented opposite, that it still retains the mustang sound which I agree. Heck even the v6 at lower rpms has a v8 mustang sound. Turns out fords firing order number is now the same as most other v8's, but is still different from gm's. I dunno if any company actually has a standard order.

These are all made up numbers but what I'm sayin is even though the 5.0 is fired 1-4-2-6-8-7-3-5 and the ls3 is fired the same, the way the cylinders are numbered in the first place is different per company. So the first cylinder fired is the front most passenger side cylinder, followed by rear most passenger side for the 5.0. Even though the firing order is 1-4 for the ls3, that means the front most passenger side goes first, then the 2nd driver side cylinder. Simply put, ford I believe measures 1 through 4 nose to tail passenger side, then 5-8 nose to tail driver side. Meanwhile GM goes left to right 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6, and 7 to 8. So even though on paper its the same, its not really. He even showed the diagram as how the cylinders are numbered. He might be wrong, but seemed to back up his statement with facts.

I actually think it retains the mustang sound perfectly. Even the v6 to an extent. But dont the new cars have an X pipe instead of an H pipe as all the other mustangs have had? Also, probably a large part of it is stock, these 300+hp cars had seriously pathetic 2.25 inch(or smaller at some points) exhaust plus 4 freakin cats. The new 5.0 comes with a shorty header, has 2 cats, and 2.5 inch exhaust. Huge change.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
shakeit04
shakeit04

One passed me today and had that pop, crackle, burple sound (don't know if burple is a real word) and i wasn't really a fan.
shakeit04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Rice_slayer

I'm going to go against the grain here, when done right, I like the sound of the new 5.0L. At work we installed a bunch of accessories on one, I just put the wheels on, but we also did a magnaflow exhaust. I actually like it WAY more than the dronemaster system my car currently has, but flows sound crappy on anything to me. The sound of the GT500s is to die for though, even stock they just sound deadly.
Procharger P1SC, Cobra fuel pumps, Centerforce DF, 39# injectors,Slot style MAF,BBK Longtubes, BBK O/R x, Borla stingers, MM rear LCAs, Tokico Illuminas,J&M rear uppers, MM FLSFC, 4.10 gears, Moser 31 splines, Detriot Truetrac. 410rwhp, 383rwtq on only 6psi.
Rice_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
JoshMac

The 5.0 Firing order is back to that of the Flathead Ford V8s. Listen to a early 289/302 and compare it to a "newer" 302, or a 289 with a roller cam swap. The firing order makes all the difference in the world in the sound. I'm not a chevy guy, but find a 4/7 cam swap and listen to it, even takes them to a whole new level. The firing order may be the same as the LS3 but like you said cylinder layout is way different than Ford.

The Mustang sound or any cars sound comes from the way and order in which the exhaust "pulses" come through the exhaust. The 5.0 has less restrictive exhaust, but even comparing it to a 4.6 with the same aftermarket setup its not close in sound.

As far retaining the sound of a mustang, I challenge you to go to the local tracks and just listen, don't look. If you know a 5.0 is in the staging lanes just try and pick it out of the crowd doing a burnout. I have eat, slept, and breathed Mustangs for years and know the sound, and I'm sure there are many that have for much longer and are much older. But I'm not hearing that "Glorious" sound of a Mustang while watching these 5.0's.

I have stated my thoughts on 3/4 V8 "Mustangs" before and won't go there. Its not about sounding fast, its about the sound that has been representative of the Mustang for 20 years. The only people that hate the sound are the ones that are tired of being beat by them. I love having Camaro guys and Chevy Guys in general coming over and saying how they think my exhaust is amazing, and the Mustang sound cannot be beat. I've never ran a Camaro guy down and told him his exhaust was good sounding.
JoshMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

I think the main reason for the different sound is the fact that the mufflers are now located at the rear of the car. They have that import/european car sound because the tailpipes exit right from the mufflers.
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMac View Post
The 5.0 Firing order is back to that of the Flathead Ford V8s. Listen to a early 289/302 and compare it to a "newer" 302, or a 289 with a roller cam swap. The firing order makes all the difference in the world in the sound. I'm not a chevy guy, but find a 4/7 cam swap and listen to it, even takes them to a whole new level. The firing order may be the same as the LS3 but like you said cylinder layout is way different than Ford.

The Mustang sound or any cars sound comes from the way and order in which the exhaust "pulses" come through the exhaust. The 5.0 has less restrictive exhaust, but even comparing it to a 4.6 with the same aftermarket setup its not close in sound.

As far retaining the sound of a mustang, I challenge you to go to the local tracks and just listen, don't look. If you know a 5.0 is in the staging lanes just try and pick it out of the crowd doing a burnout. I have eat, slept, and breathed Mustangs for years and know the sound, and I'm sure there are many that have for much longer and are much older. But I'm not hearing that "Glorious" sound of a Mustang while watching these 5.0's.

I have stated my thoughts on 3/4 V8 "Mustangs" before and won't go there. Its not about sounding fast, its about the sound that has been representative of the Mustang for 20 years. The only people that hate the sound are the ones that are tired of being beat by them. I love having Camaro guys and Chevy Guys in general coming over and saying how they think my exhaust is amazing, and the Mustang sound cannot be beat. I've never ran a Camaro guy down and told him his exhaust was good sounding.
Well hell........I had no idea they had changed the firing order! That would definitely do it. But I still think having the mufflers at the rear contribute to the raspiness of the exhaust tone. Either way I'm not liking the sound that much.
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
Explosive

Also not a fan of the rasp. Sound good at WOT though. Lots of them at the track now, heres a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjgFOXDtoE
Explosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Unrealford
Mustang owner since 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreed05 View Post
I dont think low 12s with stock rubber is that bad. Some mods and drag radials mid 11s, Bosses are pretty fast including the 5.0s The GT 5.0s are running 12 flat at my track.
11.49 and you need a cage,I woulndt ever want to put a cage in my Boss and its only .5 from bring thrown off the track with just drag radials.
http://www.dragzine.com/news/moms-ra...2013-schedule/
Unrealford is offline   Reply With Quote