2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 AM   #126
Mustanger2

Re: Ask A Police Officer

In all my years driving in Calif. I have been given breaks only by the CHP never a city cop. Always wondered why... I can rule out any attitude problem,I don't have one toward officers! I've deserved every ticket & then some but have noticed this difference... wait I do remember one break from a city cop... but he was my Uncle! LOL, I think his butt chewing was worse than a ticket would have been!

Just as reference EVERY officer that ever gave me a ticket and I had a cordial encounter... either very polite or a lot of humor mixed in, respect shown both ways but never a warning?? Oh well, I deserved them just curious.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #127
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire
Ive got two years in.....Im probly the least seasoned guy here lol. Coming up on my 24th birthday in a couple of weeks.
July of 2004...I don't even have 2 years yet.

2004 Competition Orange Mach1, 5-Speed
Dyno: 299 RWHP | 322 RWTQ (SAE)

BUILD DATE: 03/16/2004
PURCHASED: 05/20/2004
VIN: 1FAFP42RX4F210686
----------------------------------------
Speed of Sound Gauge Pod w/ VDO Gauges
Steed 3-point Front Strut Tower Brace
Steed Rear Shock Tower Brace (Welded)
UPR Off-Road X-Pipe + Steeda Cat-Back
SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #128
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHrophage
I am not PO but I am prosecutor in MD. I will help out with any questions that I can...
What did you say to earn a red lego?

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 02-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #129
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHrophage
I am not PO but I am prosecutor in MD. I will help out with any questions that I can...
A HUGE welcome to you! As police officers, we put the case together, then the prosecutors have the hard job of filing and making it stick. You guys and gals have a very hard job, and I salute you! Thanks for lending a hand....you can certainly shed some light in areas that we as cops have little knowledge.

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #130
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger2
In all my years driving in Calif. I have been given breaks only by the CHP never a city cop. Always wondered why... I can rule out any attitude problem,I don't have one toward officers! I've deserved every ticket & then some but have noticed this difference... wait I do remember one break from a city cop... but he was my Uncle! LOL, I think his butt chewing was worse than a ticket would have been!

Just as reference EVERY officer that ever gave me a ticket and I had a cordial encounter... either very polite or a lot of humor mixed in, respect shown both ways but never a warning?? Oh well, I deserved them just curious.
Sometimes thats just the way it goes. After highschool till I was about 20, I got a few tickets(yes only 3). Every time I was pulled over I got a ticket and I was always very nice with the officer. These tickets were mild too, two were for only 5 over the speed limit and one was for 10 over. Usually people get tickets around here for 15+. While being nice helps you cant always expect to get a warning for it. Besides, you shouldnt be nice just because you're hoping it will get you a warning. You should be nice because its the right thing to do.
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #131
kevsrcode

Quote:
we need to get a few questions going on how you would handle situations as well. I love to hear how different people will handle different things. might just be me though.
I do have a scenario that came up in our SWAT training a couple of months ago...are there any knuckledraggers on here other than me?
kevsrcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #132
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode
I do have a scenario that came up in our SWAT training a couple of months ago...are there any knuckledraggers on here other than me?
Bang and clear brother.
streakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #133
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

One of my favorite shows is Law & Order.

Just thought I share! LOL
San Pedro Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #134
kevsrcode

That's what I'm talkin about!!!! We had a long and drawn out, uh... discussion at one of our debriefs after training. Basically, we had a guy with a gun barricaded on a bus with hostages. About thirty minutes into it, the bad guy simulates accidentally shooting a hostage. The hostage is on the phone with the negotiators saying it was an accident (the hostage was trying to get the HT's gun). Over the next 2 and 1/2 hours, the bad guy gives up three hostages. Then, three hours into, we discover that the bad guy took the bus because his ex is the bus driver, and that he had killed her current boyfriend prior to taking the bus. At this point, the sniper calls the CP and asks for clearance to take the HT, saying he felt it was an active shooter situation. My thoughts are 1) no shots fired in 2.5 hours and 2) why is a sniper asking for clearance, if he sees a life threatening situation he should act on it. How would you guys have handled it?
kevsrcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #135
FloridaOrange
SCS Homie

Here's a question....sort of. With my old mustang I was run off the road, up onto a curb by another car. I was coming up in the turn lane and the other car was in the straight lane (stopped) at the light 3 cars back, they decided to get over at a bad time.
Anyway, I avoided the guy but was leary of driving my car after I came off the curb (was about 6" high, squared shoulder type). Two people witnessed it and came back, the guy who ran me off the road stopped at a shop 2-3 blocks up the road and we could see him. I called the cops as I wanted a report, the cop did a field investigation and determined that the other guy was at fault after talking to me, the witnesses and the other driver.
Damage turned out to be limited to two scratched wheels and a serious alignment job. When I turned it into his ins. (unfortunately mine also) the insurance company put up a fight. What they told me was that "a cop was not qualified to say what happened, unless he was there". Have you guys ever had your investigative skills questioned by an insurance company?
FloridaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #136
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's what I'm talkin about!!!! We had a long and drawn out, uh... discussion at one of our debriefs after training. Basically, we had a guy with a gun barricaded on a bus with hostages. About thirty minutes into it, the bad guy simulates accidentally shooting a hostage. The hostage is on the phone with the negotiators saying it was an accident (the hostage was trying to get the HT's gun). Over the next 2 and 1/2 hours, the bad guy gives up three hostages. Then, three hours into, we discover that the bad guy took the bus because his ex is the bus driver, and that he had killed her current boyfriend prior to taking the bus. At this point, the sniper calls the CP and asks for clearance to take the HT, saying he felt it was an active shooter situation. My thoughts are 1) no shots fired in 2.5 hours and 2) why is a sniper asking for clearance, if he sees a life threatening situation he should act on it. How would you guys have handled it?
Tactical situations/stuff like this should be handled in a PM (Private message) guys. We don't wanna give away all our secrets, now....we gotta keep 'em guessing!

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #137
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
All "green lights" are given after the sniper informs our TOC(tactical operations center). We will also ask the other "long gun" if he sees what the other sniper saw or is seeing. Simulation of someone getting shot does not grant the permission to take action upon the HT for our team. Nice to have another man in black on the thread.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #138
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaOrange
Here's a question....sort of. With my old mustang I was run off the road, up onto a curb by another car. I was coming up in the turn lane and the other car was in the straight lane (stopped) at the light 3 cars back, they decided to get over at a bad time.
Anyway, I avoided the guy but was leary of driving my car after I came off the curb (was about 6" high, squared shoulder type). Two people witnessed it and came back, the guy who ran me off the road stopped at a shop 2-3 blocks up the road and we could see him. I called the cops as I wanted a report, the cop did a field investigation and determined that the other guy was at fault after talking to me, the witnesses and the other driver.
Damage turned out to be limited to two scratched wheels and a serious alignment job. When I turned it into his ins. (unfortunately mine also) the insurance company put up a fight. What they told me was that "a cop was not qualified to say what happened, unless he was there". Have you guys ever had your investigative skills questioned by an insurance company?
All the time. they are gonna fight it bbecause it's money coming from their pocket. Cops can only base a lot of investigations on cold leads or actual witness statements.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #139
FloridaOrange
SCS Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakn
All the time. they are gonna fight it bbecause it's money coming from their pocket. Cops can only base a lot of investigations on cold leads or actual witness statements.
Well, with the (2 separate) witnesses, and with him getting this guy and asking him questions I thought it was a done deal. Live and learn, if I can control myself next time, it'd be easier to just hit the guy. Thanks.
FloridaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #140
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Well, with the (2 separate) witnesses, and with him getting this guy and asking him questions I thought it was a done deal. Live and learn, if I can control myself next time, it'd be easier to just hit the guy. Thanks.
They didn't change their investigation and find you partly at fault did they? If so, I'd look at getting a lawyer. Make sure your insurance company gives you a copy of the report. Cue the Mach1 lawyer...Machrophage...LOL
Old 02-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #141
C-dub

not much of a response on my 1st question, so here's another.

why would a cop pull over a illegal... ... sorry "undocumented worker" for speeding, find out the car has no inspection and no valid driver license and let the driver go. while a citizen gets pulled over and gets the book thrown at them? on this note why do cops not enforce immigration laws?

c-dub
Old 02-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #142
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub

why would a cop pull over a illegal... ... sorry "undocumented worker" for speeding, find out the car has no inspection and no valid driver license and let the driver go. while a citizen gets pulled over and gets the book thrown at them? on this note why do cops not enforce immigration laws?

c-dub
Profiling in California is a big no no. He was pulled over for "speeding" remember. Was the car impounded? Did he recieve a citation? Driving w/out a license is an arrestable offense. With my department, we only issue citations, and impound the car.

In reference to the "citizen" question...it's a case by case scenario. What was his demeanor, what was the offense, etc. etc.

In California we as "city cops" can't enforce immigration laws. Immigration has their hands full out here and aren't able to handle every illegal immigrant. Hope this helps.

PS.
It has been discussed for "city and county coppers" to handle immigration laws. I don't think it will happen in the near future though.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #143
kopacko

What do you other LEO's carry as your sidearm?

H&K USP 40 here.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 02-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #144
kopacko

Quote:

c-dub
That is such a loaded question. Did you witness a cop do these things?

Backing up Streakn a little, we have illegals working in Memphis. While yes, they are committing a crime, they did not commit a violent crime. Immigration should be ones to handle such issues and filling up a jail with illegals versus suspected felons doesn't make good sense.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #145
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
What do you other LEO's carry as your sidearm?

H&K USP 40 here.
Sig Sauer .40. Swat weapon is my AR-15. Other operators carry UMP-40's.In the trunk is my less lethal and in the car is my Remington 12 gauge semi-auto. That thing is fun to shoot!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #146
C-dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakn
Profiling in California is a big no no. He was pulled over for "speeding" remember. Was the car impounded? Did he recieve a citation? Driving w/out a license is an arrestable offense. With my department, we only issue citations, and impound the car.
nope, he got nothing, drove away. it was a west Hampton beach (NY) officer (over paid house watcher really) guess he didn't want the paper work. I have the privilege of working in the trades and it seems like the illegal's have more rights than the citizens here on the east end. nothing like being followed into the shop parking lot at 5:30 am and having a spot light blinding you while you get the 3rd deg. on why your there

thanks for the reply
c-dub
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #147
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
That is such a loaded question. Did you witness a cop do these things?

Backing up Streakn a little, we have illegals working in Memphis. While yes, they are committing a crime, they did not commit a violent crime. Immigration should be ones to handle such issues and filling up a jail with illegals versus suspected felons doesn't make good sense.
Adding to that. The tax payers...you and I, would pay out the wazoo for housing these immigrants in jail.Then deporting them back to their respected countries.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #148
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
nope, he got nothing, drove away. it was a west Hampton beach (NY) officer (over paid house watcher really) guess he didn't want the paper work. I have the privilege of working in the trades and it seems like the illegal's have more rights than the citizens here on the east end. nothing like being followed into the shop parking lot at 5:30 am and having a spot light blinding you while you get the 3rd deg. on why your there

thanks for the reply
c-dub
Ask to go on a ride along to see hwat they actually have to deal with on a day to day basis. A lot of times they will be swamped with paperwork and won't have the time to deal with the petty crimes such as the illegal driver.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #149
np-mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU
No - quotas are illegal in all 50 states - they are a violation of your civil rights. There is no compensation for officers who write the most, nor putitive actions for the officers who write the least. Everything comes into play when a citation is written. The attitude of the violator, the mood of the officer, whether there is a directed patrol for that area (a lot of crashes happen at an intersection due to red light runners, etc.). And, there is no time of the month for not getting a cite or a warning instead.

Police departments do get a small cut of the fines you (and I) pay for citations. This goes back into the department for traffic education, equipment (radar, speed limit signs, DUI checkpoints, training, motorcycles, etc.). But the courts get most of the fines for court cost reimbursemeny=t
(salaries and stuff). I hope this answers your question!

If this is true...then why was there a big write up in the Washington Post about the city of Falls Church, VA 22046 having to meet specific quotas on driving tickets and/or arrests? This was from an inside source on that particular force.
np-mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #150
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Holy crap! What you just described happened to me about three years ago! Everything that happened is exactly the same, but at the time I had my 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 and I was the one going straight and this lady was making a left turn right in front of me(no intersection). She stopped in the middle of the road when she realized she wasnt gonna make it before I hit her, so to avoid hitting her I swirved to the right and slammed into the curb just after the street she was turning into. My tire had a hole in it with leaking air and the rim was badly dented up not to mention needing a bigtime alignment job as well. I also called the police and filed a report(this was before I was a cop) and the lady admitted complete fault for the accident. We both had the same insurance company(Geico) and they put up the same fight your talking about. They only wanted to cover half of the cost and said I was half at fault for "Faulty evasive action". Needless to say I threw up the flag and chewed into them for it. After threatening to take the case to the New Mexico Regulatory Commission they gave in and gave me full compensation for the accident. Stupid car insurance companies expect you to pay an arm and a leg every month to cover your car and when something does happen, they dont want to fulfill their end of the deal. It takes alot to get me mad(and I mean alot) cuz im very laid back, but these guys managed to do it.
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote