2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
sideways03
LS What?

Remove C-Clip Elminators?

When I had my rear built, the shop convinced me to go with c-clip eliminators. I've ended up having to get the rear rebuilt twice now, and this time the eliminator bearings are shot as well. I just talked to a rear end specialty shop here and they said the eliminators are going to keep going out because they were not meant for a "side load" (turning corners and street driving, he said). On top of that he said he usually just replaces the whole kit because the bearings are expensive.

What all is involved in returning the rear back to c-clips and the abs rings? I know some milling was done on a mounting bracket (knuckle?) and the eliminators were pressed on to the axles, so would it be as easy as getting new brackets and pressing the abs rings back on?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
un gm
occasional user

Re: Remove C-Clip Elminators?

Someone correct me if im wrong, but if you installed eliminators the housing ends were cut off. You might have to get new axles.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Roy

The snout on the end of the housing that holds the bearings with a c-clip axle is cut off to use bolt on housing ends (c-clip elims). C-clip axles cant be use with that housing anymore. You'll have to get a new rear end housing to use c-clip axles.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
sideways03
LS What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by un gm View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong, but if you installed eliminators the housing ends were cut off. You might have to get new axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
The snout on the end of the housing that holds the bearings with a c-clip axle is cut off to use bolt on housing ends (c-clip elims). C-clip axles cant be use with that housing anymore. You'll have to get a new rear end housing to use c-clip axles.
I was afraid of that... ****. Anyone have an 8.8 housing they want to donate (or trade?) to a guy who had 2 shops screw him over and is getting married soon so doesn't have the cash to throw down on a new rear end? Wedding gift from M1R????