2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
fiveliter
14 Year Reg Member

Planning a California vacation

After years of being harassed by my wife and teenage daughter, I've finally given in and have agreed to take a vacation this summer in California. Only problem is, we've never been there and have no idea of where to go, where not to go, and what to do. So far we've decided to fly into LA. The family wants to check out the Hollywood area and I wouldn't mind taking in a Dodger game. We were also thinking of driving to San Deigo for a couple of days. I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me rent a convertible Mustang while we're there. Anyway, can some of you native Californians give me some advice on where to go, what to do, what to see, where not to go, etc? Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
1993 Mustang 5.0 notch - sold
1997 Mustang GT - traded in
1994 Mustang GT conv - sold
2003 Mustang Mach 1 - current
2010 Harley Davidson XL883N - current
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - current
Best ET 13.59@103MPH
fiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
birdman941
Torque wins!

Re: Planning a California vacation

Make sure you leave plenty of time for traffic.
Look for those happy (stoned?) Cali cows.
Movie studio tours are cool.
Don't talk on cell while driving.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
03BumbleBee

There is alot to do in L.A. county and the outlining areas. You can go to Disney Land and Knotts Berry Farm, if you go in April I believe the 25th is when they hold the big all Ford show at Knotts Berry. We went 3 years ago and there were over 1800 cars. California gets a bad rap and some is justified, but I have been here since 1960 and love it. Hope you and your family have a great vacation.

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Make sure you eat at Phillippe's in L.A. . World famous sandwiches. Universal Studios is cool. You've got either L.A. or San Diego to choose from for catching a game. I think their's a Sea World around there. I went to the old Marineland in San Diego back about 35 years ago.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
ponygt65

IMO...since you'll be in LA, I'd go to California Adventure in disneyland. They actually did a pretty good job putting together a bunch of cool california locations in one spot.

They have 'boardwalk' stuff from santa cruz, Monterey 'pier' stuff (with clam chowder similar to monterey bay, although not as good), HOllywood stuff...It's a pretty good 'summary' of California IMO.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

If your family is into roller coasters then Six Flags Magic Mountain in LA is the shiznit!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
IowaMach
Let's GO HAWKS

We just got home from there actually, went on a short three day trip. it was a lot of fun we did Disney California Adventure and Disney Land in one day. We also spent a day in LA doing the Hollywood thing and Long Beach to check out the Queen Mary.

On or last day we drove down Pacific Coast Highway from LA to San Diego. If you rent a Mustang vert that is a must do drive. In San Diego we saw Old Town and the Hotel Del Coronado. That was very cool if you are in to old buildings and the style of architecture.

I would highly recommend California Adventure at Disney like ponygt65 said.

Born: 3/25/04 Mine On: 5/16/05
5-Speed, I-UP
SLP LM II
FRPP: 4:10s and Alum. DS
H&R Sports
Maximum MotorSports LCAs
Wheel Replicas Magnum 500s
IowaMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMach View Post
Hotel Del Coronado.
I'm positive I've been to that place. It's been 20 years so it's a bluuuuuur.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
XB70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
IMO...since you'll be in LA, I'd go to California Adventure in disneyland. They actually did a pretty good job putting together a bunch of cool california locations in one spot.

They have 'boardwalk' stuff from santa cruz, Monterey 'pier' stuff (with clam chowder similar to monterey bay, although not as good), HOllywood stuff...It's a pretty good 'summary' of California IMO.
I lived in Southern California for 42 years. There is nothing more pathetic than California Adventure's simulations of California landmarks.

If you want to see Monterey or San Francisco, go there. Trust me, walking under a semi-scale model of the Golden Gate Bridge is nothing like seeing the real thing. What's the point of flying out from New York to see replicas?

My advice is to rent that Mustang at Avis at LAX and head north on Highway 1.
XB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveliter View Post
After years of being harassed by my wife and teenage daughter, I've finally given in and have agreed to take a vacation this summer in California. Only problem is, we've never been there and have no idea of where to go, where not to go, and what to do. So far we've decided to fly into LA. The family wants to check out the Hollywood area and I wouldn't mind taking in a Dodger game. We were also thinking of driving to San Deigo for a couple of days. I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me rent a convertible Mustang while we're there. Anyway, can some of you native Californians give me some advice on where to go, what to do, what to see, where not to go, etc? Any help would be greatly apprieciated.
Hey, pm me. I am from Commiefornia and from the San Diego area. I am biased, but LA sucks!
BADTGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
There is alot to do in L.A. county and the outlining areas. You can go to Disney Land and Knotts Berry Farm, if you go in April I believe the 25th is when they hold the big all Ford show at Knotts Berry. We went 3 years ago and there were over 1800 cars. California gets a bad rap and some is justified, but I have been here since 1960 and love it. Hope you and your family have a great vacation.
Fabulous Fords Forever this year will be my 5th year in row!!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #12
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I'm positive I've been to that place. It's been 20 years so it's a bluuuuuur.
Del Coronado is on Coronado Island...I was married on Coronado Island in 2005 and stayed the night there.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
spanky192

im a +1 on the 6 flags. -1 on the california adventure. check out some national parks if you get the chance. it may not occur to most people at first but the best things in california are not in the cities. yosemite, sequoia, redwood, etc. carmel, santa cruz, san diego, hunington, newport are all great beach cities too.
spanky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
fiveliter
14 Year Reg Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys ( girls ). Please keep 'em coming.......
1993 Mustang 5.0 notch - sold
1997 Mustang GT - traded in
1994 Mustang GT conv - sold
2003 Mustang Mach 1 - current
2010 Harley Davidson XL883N - current
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - current
Best ET 13.59@103MPH
fiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Naa-V-Doc

1. In LA - japanees rest. near Griffin Observ.
2. San Diego - Hotel Del on Corr. Island A little pricey but well worth the beach, view, and morning Breakfast's.

Trust this old Corpsman and that's not Corps-Men. Doc
Naa-V-Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADTGR View Post
Del Coronado is on Coronado Island...I was married on Coronado Island in 2005 and stayed the night there.
Yeah, me and a bunch of guys just walked around there while we were staying in Coronado for a Navy school. I watched the O.J. chase in my hotel room.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #17
renegade

There are so many great places in CA, not just San Diego, LA, and San Fran, if you want to have an interesting vacation why not drive from one end to the other. CA has a wide variety of climates and scenery, explore it all.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
FEARED
USN

Disney Land, Seaworld, 6 flags, Fontana Raceway
FEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
one mach 1
Pro-gun Conservative!

Make sure you get on Highway 1 and travel the coast, esp. from San Diego to the Bay Area. It is a drive you will never forget. You might recognize places you have seen on the Big Screen. Enjoy your stay.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naa-V-Doc View Post
That's funny as hell...I heard about that on the news. *******!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
BADTGR
US ARMY Medic from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by one mach 1 View Post
Make sure you get on Highway 1 and travel the coast, esp. from San Diego to the Bay Area. It is a drive you will never forget. You might recognize places you have seen on the Big Screen. Enjoy your stay.
If you plan a PCH trip, plan for the WHOLE day. Between the curvies, views and the SLOW @ss drivers...you will take 8 hrs to get from SoCal to the Bay area
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
birdman941
Torque wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naa-V-Doc View Post
1. In LA - japanees rest. near Griffin Observ.
2. San Diego - Hotel Del on Corr. Island A little pricey but well worth the beach, view, and morning Breakfast's.

Bwaaa Haaaaa Haaa haaa

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
japan4racing
not builted

teenage daughter may not like it but yosemite is the bomb...i went there back in 06' while tdy to travis afb.
2004 Torch Red Mach 1 - C&L cai, Kooks longtubes, Kooks o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Roy's 1/2" spacer, FRPP aluminum d/s, FRPP 4.10's, FRPP billet F/W, Ram HDX, MGW orange handle, H&R Super Sports
japan4racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #24
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB70 View Post
I lived in Southern California for 42 years. There is nothing more pathetic than California Adventure's simulations of California landmarks.

If you want to see Monterey or San Francisco, go there. Trust me, walking under a semi-scale model of the Golden Gate Bridge is nothing like seeing the real thing. What's the point of flying out from New York to see replicas?

My advice is to rent that Mustang at Avis at LAX and head north on Highway 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky192 View Post
im a +1 on the 6 flags. -1 on the california adventure. check out some national parks if you get the chance. it may not occur to most people at first but the best things in california are not in the cities. yosemite, sequoia, redwood, etc. carmel, santa cruz, san diego, hunington, newport are all great beach cities too.
Given the fact that we are (were) from CA, it's gonna be a different opinion. If someone woudl ask me if I thought CA Adventure was anything in comparison of the real thing?..I'd say Hell No!.....HOWEVER, given the OP only has one week to spend in CA and there are SEVERAL things they are going to want to see, I think (given the time restrictions) it would be a good thing for them to check out. Nothing says they can't go to D-Land, CA adventure AND drive up the hwy1 coast.

FWIW - I was born in CA and have lived here my entire life. IMO there's nothign completely ravishing about CA. Then again, I'm the guy that drove down the strip in Vegas and said "This is the strip?....this? It's nothing but a long street and a lot of lights." IE: I'm not traditionally one for a bunch of 'hoopla' BS. But that's me.

And the Golden Gate is nothing fabulous by any means. You wanna go to S.F. then spend time on the warf or go out to alcatraz. Not gazing at some old run down bridge that just got patched up.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
un gm
occasional user

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky192 View Post
+1 on sequoia np. one of the coolest places ive seen. if you pass thru mendocino youll think you found heaven on earth. LOVE cali. just cant make a living there