2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 04-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Dollarbill

New clutch can’t power shift!?

Had a new Valeo clutch kit installed with a new Fidanza iron flywheel, put 200 easy below 3000 rpm on it, frpp pilot bearing and Federal Mogul throw out bearing. Clutch feels as light or a little lighter than stock. New in last 300 miles Maximun motorsports clutch quadrant and clutch adjuster, oe ford cable. Driving normal car feels great, goes into reverse easier also. But when trying to power shift over 6000, the pedal stays on the floor until I let up on the gas. It doesn’t do it as bad if I don’t press the clutch pedal down as much but the pedal gets much lighter at higher rpms. I tried loosening the clutch cable until the pedal rattled without my foot on going down the road then tightened it a little more until it stopped. Clutch doesn’t slip as far as I can tell... the black marks most of the way through 2nd gear don’t lie... any advice would be great. Btw the clutch change was due to a noisy throw out bearing, and old clutch didn’t have this problem. Is this an adjustment issue or is my Mach over powering the clutch?
Dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Re: New clutch can’t power shift!?

I would think if the clutch was getting over-powered (slipping), you would be able to get it in gear okay. You would notice it slipping or loosing power at WOT if it was not gripping the flywheel. I think your clutch cable needs more adjusting. Go in the direction where the TOB is getting closer to the pressure plate. I can't remember which way to go with the firewall adjuster to do that lol. I think this, because your clutch might not be going in enough to release it enough to go into gear at high RPM's. I have the same cable/firewall adjuster/quadrant setup. You could also check the alignment of the cable in the quadrant compared to where it's going through the firewall. Make sure it's not moving out of alignment as you romp the pedal to the floor when shifting hard. I'm no expert, but this is what I'd check if I had this issue on mine.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Dollarbill

So if I’m understanding, then I would turn the adjuster counter clock wise to tighten the cable more?
Old 04-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

You need to tighten the clutch cable more and test it.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Dollarbill

I cut away some insulation from above the quadrant and adjusted the cable. Same thing, it does it in neutral also. So I can mat the gas and press the clutch pedal and remove my foot and the pedal sticks until I let off the gas. Yes bouncing on rev limiter... I know that’s not cool
Old 04-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Dollarbill

I think it’s getting better. I’ve been tightening more and more. Just tired of 7000 rpm... the pedal is firmer also. It’s hard as hell to get 2 fingers on this adjuster to keep going but it really looks like this was the issue. I’ll post back if it’s not solved, thanks all. Btw these 315 nittos stand no chance on a 1-2 power shift...������

Last edited by Dollarbill; 04-18-2018 at 04:27 PM.