2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
FenixFallen
Newb

Future stroker build, could use advice

Been a while since I've been around the forums, but I've got a nagging question in my mind.

Short story:
The question is whether or not the 2005-2010 4.6 aluminum block is the same as the 4.6 in our Machs. Will it bolt right in?

Long story:
I've had my Mach for a few years now, and while the engine hasn't had any problems (besides the infamous tick) I've always had plans to swap it for a 5.0 stroker built for forced induction, probably a procharger to keep the shaker. Before that though I had plans to upgrade the suspension and build the rear end for whatever power I'm gonna throw at it, with welded 9 inch ends and 31 spline axles. initially I didn't plan to go too crazy, maybe 450-500, but I know eventually that won't be enough, so I want something that I won't have to mess with again, maybe rated for 900 or so. I really only want to be able to keep up with the newer muscle cars coming out.

So to the stroker engine, I started looking at MMR and DSS but then I read all kinds of mixed reviews on them, and negative reviews always seem to weigh in heavier than positive stuff. Now I'm thinking JDM engineering might be the ticket.
http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-302e-2005...t-block-motor/
I haven't come across any bad reviews about these guys and they're a lot closer than most of the other big name engine builders. My big question is whether our 4.6 block is the same as the block that fits in the 2005-2010 mustangs. I'm sure they would work with me for a custom order; but I'm very curious if I bought it as is, would it bolt right into the car for one, and for two will my 4v heads bolt to it? I'm having trouble answering these questions myself with google searches, lol.

If anyone has any other advice on the engine build or even the rear end build please let me know, thanks!
-Stock longblock, stock transmission, Procharger D1SC 4.15" pulley, Accufab 60mm TB, P/P intake manifold, full MAC exhaust, return style fuel system, Maximum Motorsports/Steeda suspension, Torsen T2R 31 spline diff

Red 2007 Focus ST, daily driver, 236hp/234tq @10psi
-FSWerks gt2871r kit, Cosworth intake manifold, FSWerks Stealth exhaust, FRPP lowering springs
FenixFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
bigtrain

Re: Future stroker build, could use advice

the ad even says it could be used in a 2v,3v,4v motor so i want to say yes it can
04-DSG, K&N air intake, bbk 65mm throttle body, SLP loudmouths, pypes x pipe, intake spacer, cobra intake cams,AM short throw shifter, ssbc rotors hawk hps pads,plasti-dip black rims and badges (for now), next mod- suspension
bigtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
01yellerCobra

The main thing to double check is I've heard the motor mount pads on the 05+ are different. I'm pretty sure they make plates to convert it over though. I haven't looked closely at it on our 06.

The big thing between the heads is the exhaust valve location in 3V. I've seen guys bolt 4V heads onto short blocks built fur 3V heads with no issues.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Mach828
Dark Knight

I think I'd rather spend the extra coin on a set of cams over a stroker rotating assembly.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Mustang9668
saving pennies

Jeez for that price you can get a big bore stroker boss block from Livernois.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...%2C-4V%29.html

I would check out the Livernois shortblock options also.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...d/Shortblocks/

03 Cobra--18x9/10.5 TSW Nurburgring Wheels, Nitto NT05's 275/295, Stiegemeier ported, 2.87” pulley, Canton 9-qt oil pan, Spec Stage II clutch, MM coilovers, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, LFP heat exchanger, LFP radiator, Evans cooling system, 14" Brembo 4 Piston calipers, 470whp, 460ft-lbs
Mustang9668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
FenixFallen
Newb

You're right, that is a better price, the thing is I was looking for an aluminum block. the other nice thing about that JDM block is that it says it's rated for 1000hp, and Livernois doesn't say how much horses their engine will safely hold, maybe that's another reason JDM's is more expensive. I will ask Livernois if they'd do an aluminum version of their shortblock and how much power it could take. I did message JDM about their engine bolting into my car but haven't gotten a reply yet. it does sound like I might need adapters to bolt to the K member; and you're right it would sound fishy if they advertised 2, 3, and 4 valve heads if they didn't bolt right up to it.

Also I was planning to do some cams too, just wasn't planning anything too extreme, I want the car to be mean but still streetable, maybe I'm being unrealistic lol. haven't really done too much research on that subject yet; I know 96-98 cobra intake cams are an easy few extra horses, what are some other good drop in cam options? Thanks for the replies.
-Stock longblock, stock transmission, Procharger D1SC 4.15" pulley, Accufab 60mm TB, P/P intake manifold, full MAC exhaust, return style fuel system, Maximum Motorsports/Steeda suspension, Torsen T2R 31 spline diff

Red 2007 Focus ST, daily driver, 236hp/234tq @10psi
-FSWerks gt2871r kit, Cosworth intake manifold, FSWerks Stealth exhaust, FRPP lowering springs
FenixFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
01yellerCobra

I like my stroker set up on the street. Even when it was NA. The low end torque is nice to have. Every time I drive our 06 I want to do a stroker or get a PD blower.

I think some of the smaller cams can get away with stock springs. But if the heads are off you might as well upgrade since you're there.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote