2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
jasionox666x

Military question regarding records

This forum has the most military personnel that I go to and I need advice, quickly.

I understand that I can obtain records of my fathers service with dates served, and I need this information for my passport as a replacement of a written affidavit.

I have no contact to my father, he's a deadbeat *******. I have his social security card (I believe, if not I have his number) and his official birth certificate.

How would one obtain military records? I know you can obtain limited information that is available to the public, I just need his time served, no need for his personal information.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
USAF_Rock
Sweat saves blood

Re: Military question regarding records

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
This forum has the most military personnel that I go to and I need advice, quickly.

I understand that I can obtain records of my fathers service with dates served, and I need this information for my passport as a replacement of a written affidavit.

I have no contact to my father, he's a deadbeat *******. I have his social security card (I believe, if not I have his number) and his official birth certificate.

How would one obtain military records? I know you can obtain limited information that is available to the public, I just need his time served, no need for his personal information.
depending on what branch he is, find someone on the inside of the branch he served with and have them go to the Military Personnel Facility or MPS. OR you can give this a shot:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...rvice-records/
USAF_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
USAF_Rock
Sweat saves blood

the evetrecs program should get you waht you need
USAF_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
jasionox666x

I saw that earlier among other things and wanted to make sure.

Hopefully they make some exceptions and can provide me with information. I'm his son but he isn't deceased and won't give me an affidavit for my passport requirements.

So frustrating.

I understand privacy laws and I'm glad they are in effect but God almighty. The government and USCIS should be able to obtain this crap without me having to do it. I paid them for that service and they can never find anything but tell me what I need.

They didn't look for his records. According to the website they should have been able to for verification of his whereabouts before I was born.

Thank you so much I really appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Contact the nearest VA facility, they have all his info to include his DD214 which is the form you need.

I was/am literally on the phone with the VA right now lol, coincidence I guess.

But we did help a homeless veteran out last year and he got out 2 decades ago and the VA had all his records, we were a little shocked but happy.

Edit: K just reread what you wrote. You're probably not going to get the records via the VA, they will only allow next of kin or the veteran directly access the information needed. I think trying to obtain his records without his consent is extremely illegal.... yep, just asked the VA rep, definately wanna steer clear of trying to get his records without consent.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold
2001 Mustang- Forest Green-Sold
Disabled Veteran United States Air Force. Hoorah Air Force!
LineageMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
jasionox666x

The evetrecs seems like a good place to start. It asks the question "why are you trying obtain these documents"

I won't be signing anything. If it states that I need consent before continuing I'll stop and contact my state representative to see what actions I can take.

I just need to verify the dates he served and where, if possible. I think the "where" might go into the privacy protection laws.

My stepfather is in the national guard now but he's always on the road.

Would his purple heart status help retrieve information? Probably not haha.

School records is another thing that can be used but I need his signature, no matter what, and I don't want to break any laws getting official papers.

Thanks for the heads up and looking! I appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
jasionox666x

I need this passport to join the military by this year.

The weight is going down as we speak now this crap is holding me back.

My father failed to report my birth to the US so I didn't get a certificate of child board abroad issued by the immigration services. Instead, I got a DoDD form with all my information including my fathers and mothers info and in the header portion it states "child board abroad of American parent(s)" but the **** USCIS is not accepting this and it's pissing me off to no extent.

I don't have the form at the moment since I'm at work so I don't know the form number.

I would take the naturalization test and all that jazz but according to the USCIS I'm here illegally, yet I have a job working for a contractor that works for the US government and I had to go through the e-verify process.

It's like a gumbo soup, everything is just thrown in and I'm boiling it.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
I need this passport to join the military by this year.

The weight is going down as we speak now this crap is holding me back.

My father failed to report my birth to the US so I didn't get a certificate of child board abroad issued by the immigration services. Instead, I got a DoDD form with all my information including my fathers and mothers info and in the header portion it states "child board abroad of American parent(s)" but the **** USCIS is not accepting this and it's pissing me off to no extent.

I don't have the form at the moment since I'm at work so I don't know the form number.

I would take the naturalization test and all that jazz but according to the USCIS I'm here illegally, yet I have a job working for a contractor that works for the US government and I had to go through the e-verify process.

It's like a gumbo soup, everything is just thrown in and I'm boiling it.
Do you pay taxes? If so, since youre here illegally, tell em you want all your past taxes returned to you with interest. Or dont pay your taxes and see how fast you become 'legal'.

Thought you and your dad got along great??
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
Do you pay taxes? If so, since youre here illegally, tell em you want all your past taxes returned to you with interest. Or dont pay your taxes and see how fast you become 'legal'.

Thought you and your dad got along great??
Stepfather yes, real father no. He's a lying scumbag.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
jasionox666x

All he did was obtain a USAREUR REG 40-400 form and do nothing with it. You are supposed to get it after birth and register within 30 days.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Thor
"God of Thunder"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineageMach1 View Post
I was/am literally on the phone with the VA right now lol, coincidence I guess.
Yeah, that can be a boring conversation...
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah, that can be a boring conversation...
More like infuriating... talking to the VA is sometimes like talking to a rock that can speak...somewhat. Then it's a roll of the dice 75% of the time you get somebody having a bad day and they take it all out on you, the other 25% are good people and helpfull. Today I got 3 75%ers.

One of them had the nerve to tell me that the VA process just takes time "Look at me, I'm at 90% and it just takes patience." I then asked him why I keep running into people who are 90% disabled and still working, got dead silence at that point.

I'm at 40% with irreversable nerve and tissue damage, this happened at age 26 and I am now 32. I cant walk without a cane, cant drive, cant work, cant sleep etc. Pain 100% of the day even while I take cancer patient level pain meds. I would give anything I own to be able to work again and I keep running into these disabled veterans who are at 80%-100% and working still and most for the VA itself or another government institution. I'm about sick of hearing, "I'm 90% disabled but I still work, as a matter of fact I even pull in a military retirement check, mwahahahaha."

Needless to say I've been going through a re-evaluation since december because my condition worsened and social security among other authorities told me I need to get a higher compensation from the VA because the 40% is extremely low considering I'm in bed 99% of the time. It's been a nightmare. I love the military and I love our men and women in uniform but man the VA is a whole other story... oh and I think they selectively choose the worst possible hold music for their phones that make you hang up.

Back to the poster's subject. I see what your saying now. That's a rough situation and I commend you on your decision to join the military, smart choice.

I am currently trying to help somebody kind of in the same shoes right now. He and his family are Korean and here on a work permit (they own bussinesses in the area). The kid has been here almost since he was knee high, has graduated from highschool here and is currently enrolled in his second year of graduate school. By all means we would call him american but on paper the military needs certain criteria and it's a pain. We have been working his case for several months now. I thought it was going to be easy at first but man, I see how hard it can be somebody under "illegal" status or without an birth certificate here in the U.S.

If you were ever a dependant of your stepfather, meaning you lived with him while age 17 and under or while a full time student then he was supposed to declare you his dependant by law. In cases like this if you can find out what unit he is from you may be able to use the fact that he is in the miitary to your advantage e.g. talking to his commander or first sergeant, normally those always yield results.

Not quite the same but, in our neighborhood we had an issue with three kids who were siblings, they were breaking windows and starting fires etc. Well I eventually found out their dad was in the military and that was music to my ears heh. I called his commander and we dont see his kids around anymore starting fires and such.

Good luck with all this, trust me I know how frustrating it can be. Again I commend you on your choice to join and look forward to hearing good news.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold
2001 Mustang- Forest Green-Sold
Disabled Veteran United States Air Force. Hoorah Air Force!
LineageMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineageMach1 View Post
More like infuriating... talking to the VA is sometimes like talking to a rock that can speak...somewhat. Then it's a roll of the dice 75% of the time you get somebody having a bad day and they take it all out on you, the other 25% are good people and helpfull. Today I got 3 75%ers.

One of them had the nerve to tell me that the VA process just takes time "Look at me, I'm at 90% and it just takes patience." I then asked him why I keep running into people who are 90% disabled and still working, got dead silence at that point.

I'm at 40% with irreversable nerve and tissue damage, this happened at age 26 and I am now 32. I cant walk without a cane, cant drive, cant work, cant sleep etc. Pain 100% of the day even while I take cancer patient level pain meds. I would give anything I own to be able to work again and I keep running into these disabled veterans who are at 80%-100% and working still and most for the VA itself or another government institution. I'm about sick of hearing, "I'm 90% disabled but I still work, as a matter of fact I even pull in a military retirement check, mwahahahaha."

Needless to say I've been going through a re-evaluation since december because my condition worsened and social security among other authorities told me I need to get a higher compensation from the VA because the 40% is extremely low considering I'm in bed 99% of the time. It's been a nightmare. I love the military and I love our men and women in uniform but man the VA is a whole other story... oh and I think they selectively choose the worst possible hold music for their phones that make you hang up.

Back to the poster's subject. I see what your saying now. That's a rough situation and I commend you on your decision to join the military, smart choice.

I am currently trying to help somebody kind of in the same shoes right now. He and his family are Korean and here on a work permit (they own bussinesses in the area). The kid has been here almost since he was knee high, has graduated from highschool here and is currently enrolled in his second year of graduate school. By all means we would call him american but on paper the military needs certain criteria and it's a pain. We have been working his case for several months now. I thought it was going to be easy at first but man, I see how hard it can be somebody under "illegal" status or without an birth certificate here in the U.S.

If you were ever a dependant of your stepfather, meaning you lived with him while age 17 and under or while a full time student then he was supposed to declare you his dependant by law. In cases like this if you can find out what unit he is from you may be able to use the fact that he is in the miitary to your advantage e.g. talking to his commander or first sergeant, normally those always yield results.

Not quite the same but, in our neighborhood we had an issue with three kids who were siblings, they were breaking windows and starting fires etc. Well I eventually found out their dad was in the military and that was music to my ears heh. I called his commander and we dont see his kids around anymore starting fires and such.

Good luck with all this, trust me I know how frustrating it can be. Again I commend you on your choice to join and look forward to hearing good news.
That's a very good point. My stepfather is in the national guard now, was active duty for 16 years. I'm on all of his orders and he has always claimed me as a dependent.

He's a great man and raised me. I talk to him and my mom of course almost on a daily basis.

I'll see if I can swing something like that.