2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Best Mustang Parts

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #101
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Don't know if it's true but I was told over the weekend my one of my car building buddies that the M1 for older motors has more zinc and other anti wear additives in it and they can do that because they don't have to conform to the same rules as oil for new cars.
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #102
TKat13
Mach-T
 
TKat13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 2,811
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I spent a few hours searching and aside from sending a sample out to Blackstone and proving it's worth myself, I'm going to have to avoid Royal Purple. Call it peer pressure, I suppose lol. I've been too chicken to switch to a yearly oil change with it (or Mobil 1), even though I'm around 5k or less miles per year in the Mach. I've been wanting to try Amsoil anyway, and I'd have to wait for Royal Purple HPS, so now is as good of a time as any.
I use Amsoil for the added zinc and its ability to hold up when running E85. However, I still change it often, E85 is rough on oil.
__________________
Darrell
Black '04 Mach 1
Track Times (bone-stock w/drs):60 ft - 1.90 | 1/8 - 8.67
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #103
AlloyPony
Registered User
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 122
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Mobil 1 is extremely over rated. Not only does it not meet specs for some domestic manufacturers, but in my 5.0L Coyote engine it burned pretty bad. My 5.0 NEVER burned oil until I tried running Mobil 1 in it. It was nearly 2 quarts low when I thankfully checked the dipstick one day about half way through an oil change cycle.

As far as 0W20 goes, it's still for sale. They even have 0W30 and 0W40 on the shelf at Walmart. But, I'd avoid it.

I think I'm going to run 5W30 in my Mach and F150 from now on. If you research 5W20, you'll find that it was developed solely for CAFE numbers and efficiency in new vehicles. Ford (and the other companies) don't give a rat's rear end what happens to your engine past the warranty period. They do, however, worry about the cost of building vehicles that aren't fuel efficient in today's EPA controlled world.

People who care about longevity of engines should consider "thicker" oils in my opinion. The harder you run a car, the better your viscosity needs to be. I mean, just look at the newer Mustang GTs. They spec 5W20 oil too...but if you get the track package guess what? Then you get 5W50 oil. Same engine, but when they assume people are going to run it harder they know they need better oil than 5W20.

Also, it's funny because recently somebody on another forum sent me this link.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

You have to navigate to "Tech info/opinion > Miscellaneous > 5W20 not for me"
__________________
2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Mac O/R H-pipe - Ford Racing driveshaft - Modified air intake - Nitto Motivo 315/35s on 10.5" FR500 wheels - Steeda clutch adjuster
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #104
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Mobil 1 is extremely over rated. Not only does it not meet specs for some domestic manufacturers, but in my 5.0L Coyote engine it burned pretty bad. My 5.0 NEVER burned oil until I tried running Mobil 1 in it. It was nearly 2 quarts low when I thankfully checked the dipstick one day about half way through an oil change cycle.

As far as 0W20 goes, it's still for sale. They even have 0W30 and 0W40 on the shelf at Walmart. But, I'd avoid it.

I think I'm going to run 5W30 in my Mach and F150 from now on. If you research 5W20, you'll find that it was developed solely for CAFE numbers and efficiency in new vehicles. Ford (and the other companies) don't give a rat's rear end what happens to your engine past the warranty period. They do, however, worry about the cost of building vehicles that aren't fuel efficient in today's EPA controlled world.

People who care about longevity of engines should consider "thicker" oils in my opinion. The harder you run a car, the better your viscosity needs to be. I mean, just look at the newer Mustang GTs. They spec 5W20 oil too...but if you get the track package guess what? Then you get 5W50 oil. Same engine, but when they assume people are going to run it harder they know they need better oil than 5W20.

Also, it's funny because recently somebody on another forum sent me this link.

http://www.paladinmicro.com/pmicro.php#

You have to navigate to "Tech info/opinion > Miscellaneous > 5W20 not for me"
So what did you switch your Coyote to that it doesn't burn off?
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #105
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC
 
rich1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RTP/ N.C.
Posts: 4,806
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Oil is like BEER everyone has their own brand.

I have used Castrol in every thing I have ever owned with zero engine failures. Once I let the dealer change my oil to Motorcraft 5W20 when the Mach was getting an alignment. I live 4 miles from the shop and the motor started tapping more and more on the way home. I put it up on my Quick Jack and changed the oil back to Castrol Edge it stopped the noise. As far as the weights.... 5 W30 in the summer (thicker) and 5 W20 winter (thinner). I will repeat the same thing in the 5.0 Coyote too.
__________________
UPGRADES... Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Steeda Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #106
AlloyPony
Registered User
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 122
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
So what did you switch your Coyote to that it doesn't burn off?
Went back to Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend. It's $18 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart and works great for me.
__________________
2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Mac O/R H-pipe - Ford Racing driveshaft - Modified air intake - Nitto Motivo 315/35s on 10.5" FR500 wheels - Steeda clutch adjuster
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #107
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Went back to Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend. It's $18 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart and works great for me.
You don't lose any between changes?
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #108
AlloyPony
Registered User
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 122
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
You don't lose any between changes?
Nope, doesn't seem to burn off at all with the Motorcraft oil. I go probably 7,000 miles or a little more between changes. I do occasionally check the level to be sure though. That Mobil 1 fiasco scared me a little. Lol.
__________________
2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Mac O/R H-pipe - Ford Racing driveshaft - Modified air intake - Nitto Motivo 315/35s on 10.5" FR500 wheels - Steeda clutch adjuster
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #109
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Nope, doesn't seem to burn off at all with the Motorcraft oil. I go probably 7,000 miles or a little more between changes. I do occasionally check the level to be sure though. That Mobil 1 fiasco scared me a little. Lol.
I may have to switch back at this next change and see what happens. I go thru about a quart every 2,500 miles. I suspect some of mine is thru the PCV because I always heel/toe on the street to stay in practice.
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #110
03Shadow Grey
Registered User
 
03Shadow Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Theodore Alabama
Posts: 283
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
I may have to switch back at this next change and see what happens. I go thru about a quart every 2,500 miles. I suspect some of mine is thru the PCV because I always heel/toe on the street to stay in practice.
Same with mine and mobil 1 also about a 1/2 cup in the catch can.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #111
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
Same with mine and mobil 1 also about a 1/2 cup in the catch can.
A half a cup is 4 oz, are you sure? How many miles for that amount to accumulate?
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #112
03Shadow Grey
Registered User
 
03Shadow Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Theodore Alabama
Posts: 283
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Nice catch ,lol. forgive my old eyes. I pour it in old infamil bottle to keep up with it.Sorry for the bad info, 1/2 a cup is what I have collected since I bought driver side jtl. Its actually around 0.5 OZ at 4500 to 5k miles.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #113
j rick kirby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Winston-Salem,NC
Posts: 1,739
Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
Nice catch ,lol. forgive my old eyes. I pour it in old infamil bottle to keep up with it.Sorry for the bad info, 1/2 a cup is what I have collected since I bought driver side jtl. Its actually around 0.5 OZ at 4500 to 5k miles.
Whew that sounds better.
__________________
2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm and lots of other bits and pieces here and there
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium GT with Brembo/Trak Pak and 373s
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<