2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new 2004 mach1 build?
Happy 62 21.23%
Not happy 91 31.16%
Don't care 87 29.79%
Want to join class action suit. 52 17.81%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2003, 01:17 AM   #26
305PNYS

I agree!
I just made a road trip (in my F-250) from Central CA to Vegas to Grand Canyon. I saw 3 Bullitts, more 'vert GT's than I could count, but no Mach 1's. I also had such serious withdrawals, hubby sent me on errands while he and the kids unpacked :LAUGH: . Life is so good when you have an understanding hubby!
Any of you Bullitt owners visit Hoover Dam last week??:p

Cheryl
305PNYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #27
musicalmerlin

Would have preferred to see 2004 Boss 302

But hey, if they don't want to/can't do it (or are keeping it under superwraps), I'd rather see them do something between the GT and the Cobra than not do anything at all. I bought my car to have FUN, not to be paranoid about exactly how many they made. If you're really concerned about that, go find the guy who's got the first or last 2003 Mach 1 made and offer him gobbs of cash. The fact that you hardly ever see a Mach 1 (yet to see one other than mine on the road) during driving isn't going to change if they throw another 4500 into circulation next year.

BTW, I'm guessing we may see a 302 at some point - when I bought the car last week I mentioned something about the Boss 302 and the salesperson said that was a different project and then clammed up. Couldn't get anything else out of her. Here's hoping, 'cause that was another sweet car.
musicalmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:58 AM   #28
starscream

Re: What you would need for a lawsuit

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanklawyer
OK. As the resident lawyer, here's my two cents, NOT THAT I'M PROVIDING ANYONE WITH LEGAL ADVICE.

In order to entertain some form of lawsuit, we would have to show some sort of hard evidence that Ford led us to believe that there would be 6500 total. Vague references to the Bullitt wouldn't be enough. A press release, a statement quoting a particular person who would be reasonable to believe, etc. Then there's the issue of qualifying a class (which is easy to do, though not my area) under the federal rules of civil procedure.

Then, there's the question of damages. The Cobra situation was easy: The product was advertised as having x horsepower, and it did not. That can be quantified. In our situation, the class would potentially have to show that you wouldn't have bought the car but for (at leats in part) the limited production aspect, or perhaps that the price was inflated. Given that many (most?) of us would have bought anyway, and given that the price is probably justifyable even if they made more of them, it would be an uphill battle. Then what's the remedy? Money back? An injunction to stop production?

If people are unhappy, they should certainly consider these things, and consult a lawyer if you choose. I'm not a litigator, so perhaps an aggressive trial lawyer could make a case. If you can show me something explicit where Ford committs to 6500, then perhaps we should revisit the issue.
Ford, which builds approximately 160,000 Mustangs each year, will offer only 6,500 Mustang Mach 1 special editions. Each Mach 1 will come with a unique serialization found in the vehicle identification number (VIN) to ensure exclusivity and collectibility.

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=12054

Personally, what pisses me off isn't from a collectibility aspect, it is the price I paid for the car. I was led to believe that these would be so rare that you couldn't get them less than MSRP. Now by making twice as much they doubled the supply. What I would like is for someone to determine, on average, how much a Mustang sells for over invoice. Whatever that number is, add that to the invoice of the Mach, then subtract it from the MSRP. Basically making the markup on the Mach no different than any other Mustang. That would be fair to me.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #29
bkeen
MACH ON

They didn't give us the rockers either....

To enhance the low-to-the-ground appearance, Mach 1 also features more prominent rocker-panel moldings and another classic Mach 1 trait.

VIN#340685 Build Date 11/7/02
bkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:49 AM   #30
Greggvh

starscream the press release was clearly talking about the 2003 Mach 1. The quote you have by its self is easy to take out of context. I think because they are talking about the 2003 model this quote needs to have mmm Not sure what to call it but a note put in to tie in the rest of the release....

"Ford, which builds approximately 160,000 Mustangs each year, will offer only 6,500 (NOTE 2003 NOTE) Mustang Mach 1 special editions. Each Mach 1 will come with a unique serialization found in the vehicle identification number (VIN) to ensure exclusivity and collectibility. "

At no point do they say it will only be a 2003 run. I have a feeling ford wrote this so as to make it sound as if it was only 6,500 but clearly leaving it open to make more.

I would love to find the writting on the bullitt and see what they said about it. Because we have the same idea you guys have and it may have been left open also.
2001 Mustang GT Bullitt DHG #3033
1998 Firebird Formula

2004 Mach 1 Comp Orange (DADS CAR)
Greggvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:17 AM   #31
bkeen
MACH ON

In almost every paragraph except the one in question it states 2003 Mach1. It does not, however, say that in the paragraph mentioned. It is under a heading of 2003 Mach1 so I think ford is covered. I think it does imply a total of 6500 Mach1s though.

Full text

"2003 Mustang Mach 1
The original Mach 1 featured the familiar fastback body with simulated side scoops high on the quarter panel, an aggressively raked air dam on the front, a spoiler on the rear, “comfort-weave” leather seats and the now famous, “shaker hood scoop” mounted directly onto the carburetor and fitting through an opening in the hood. In March 1969, the Mustang Mach 1 was named “the quickest four-person production car” ever tested by Car Life magazine, earning it a chapter in the history of automotive enthusiasm and securing its legacy for the future.

The 2003 model-year version of the Mach 1 is expected to deliver more than 300 horsepower when it goes on sales at the end of the year. The pre-eminent pony car remembers its roots with functional performance upgrades and Mach 1 styling cues, including the shaker hood scoop, “comfort-weave” leather trimmed seats and today’s interpretation of classic “Magnum 500” chrome wheels.

Perhaps the most interesting design cue is the shaker scoop. The “ram air” scoop, fitted through an opening in the hood, channels fresh air directly to the intake runners increasing the breathing and optimizing intake turbulence for more power and torque from the MOD 4.6-liter, 4-valve, DOHC V-8.

The 2003 Mach 1 will be available with a choice of a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission with electronic overdrive. The 4R70W automatic transmission is upgraded with a heavy-duty gear-set, auxiliary fluid cooler and brazed 11.25-inch torque converter to withstand the added power of the Mach 1's MOD 4.6-liter V-8.

Mach 1's suspension matches its power with crisp road manners. The vehicle is lowered half an inch compared to the GT and uses a firm suspension for a balanced ride and enhanced handling characteristics. The performance-handling package includes:

New front and rear coil springs with adapted load and rate
Re-valved Tokico© struts in front and shocks in rear
Unique stabilizer bars front and rear
Added frame rail connectors to stiffen the body
Thirteen-inch Brembo® front rotors and performance calipers help provide excellent stopping capability. The calipers have a black-anodized finish and are visible through 17-inch Magnum 500 wheel spokes when the car is parked, or when it is cruising the streets. Mach 1 comes standard with ABS and traction control.

The 2003 Mustang Mach 1 features C-pillars with a unique trim appliqué that gives the roofline a subtle throwback appearance and distinguishes the car further from a GT. To enhance the low-to-the-ground appearance, Mach 1 also features more prominent rocker-panel moldings and another classic Mach 1 trait, an air dam extension, painted low-gloss black. A low-gloss black stripe runs the length of the side just above the rocker moldings.

Inside, the center stack and shifter bezel are painted in a gray accent finish and highlighted by an aluminum shift boot ring and aluminum shifter ball. The accelerator, brake, clutch and dead pedals are polished aluminum. The gray-backed instrument cluster features unique retro-look dials. Mach 1 comes standard with the Mach 460 six-disc in-dash CD changer audio system.

The 2003 Mustang Mach 1 will be available in Oxford White, Black, Torch Red, Zinc Yellow, Azure Blue and Dark Shadow Gray clearcoat finish.

Ford, which builds approximately 160,000 Mustangs each year, will offer only 6,500 Mustang Mach 1 special editions. Each Mach 1 will come with a unique serialization found in the vehicle identification number (VIN) to ensure exclusivity and collectibility.
"

Source Article

Last edited by bkeen; 07-04-2003 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:20 AM   #32
j2003mach1
Bye Bye LS1

Unhappy sucks!

i would be interested in a class action law suit. please keep me posted
vin#1FAFP42R73F342173
Steeda Springs
Black antenna
Chrome 18" mach 1 wheels
Bassani X-pipe (offroad) (2.5")
Magnaflow catback (2.5")
j2003mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:28 PM   #33
bkeen
MACH ON

Actually, I'm kind of conflicted (more so than normal). On the one hand I don't like being misled. On the other hand I would like to think that in a couple of years I could buy a new Mach1. And if 04 Mach1s are what it takes to bring back a Boss or a Shelby then I'm all for it.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:54 AM   #34
Tanklawyer
Long Live Mach

Having discussed this with a couple of colleagues who deal with advertising issues, the test is whether a reasonable person would have been left with the impression that there would only be 6500 Mach 1s. One of the people to whom I showed the press release said that while the release does discuss the 2003 Mach 1, the statement about 6500 is not so qualified. The colleague said that one would have to look at the totality of what was put out there by Ford. BTW, the colleague added that there's probably no real nexus between bringing a false advertising claim against a company like Ford and management decisions on whether to make special-interest products (at least based on her experience representing other entities in the consumer products area). In the end, it just makes them more careful about what they say, not really what they produce. Whether there will be a Boss or not someday wouldn't really be impacted. However, some poor slob in the advertising department will probably get canned. We could possibly see some money back, or ask for some concessions (goodie bags, naming the engine the Cobra Jet, etc.). Who knows?

2003 Mach 1 (Torch Red 5-sp with IUP)
VIN #344918
Built 11/12/02
Delivered 12/3/02
Sold 3/13/06
Tanklawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #35
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

I (hope) that I am reasonable, and I am not interested in any kind of action invoving this issue. I do feel Ford left itself a little open in the litigious enviroment that we do exist in today. I would really like to see everybody that wants (and maybe deserves) a Mach 1 to get a Mach 1. If Ford wanted to play nice and send us said goodies (touch up paint, die cast, a Ford GT, a spare shaker...etc.) I would not stop them. I bought it to drive, to enjoy and to keep. Thanks Ford, Team Mustang, and all the really great people at the DAP plant, and Romeo plant who really put out an excellent product!:THUMBSUP:

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #36
Tanklawyer
Long Live Mach

For the record, I do agree with Falcongtho3. I love the car, and I personally have no problem with the Mach appearing for another year, or every year as an option. After all, that's the way it was in the old days, I enjoy seeing other people's cars when we get together, and I've only seen another one on the road once. I'm just passing along the information. I do note, however, that in all likelihood some premium was built into the car based on production numbers. How much? Who knows. Would the premium have been there even if Ford had said it would appear as a model option each year? Perhaps. Do I think in my heart of hearts that there was some effort to be less than forthcoming about whether it was a one-year special model limited to 6500 (especially in light of prior editions like teh 35th Ann. and the Bullitt)? Yes. As a lawyer who spends ten hours a day working for fortune 100 companies, I can tell you right now that although Team Mustang certainly has its heart in the right place, and the guys on the line are doing a great job, there are folks in management and finance who specialize in creating hype. This is not a bad thing, but I do think we need to be honest with ourselves. Ford is a great company, and I love its products, but it is a major corporation in a highly competitive business market, and will sometimes do less than upright things to get the customer to put down some green.

Anyway, like I said before, I love my Mach and I am 110% thankful for Ford's willingness to produce such a beast. As most of you know, this car puts a smile on my face and always will, whether its 6500 or more.

Also, for what it's worth, perhaps we could all sign waivers and in return get some goodies. I'm thinking an official pronouncement that the alum. 4.6 DOHC engine has always been called the Cobra Jet internally, we all get scrips from Ford for our shakers, and a commitment to make a die-cast car in all factory colors! Stranger things have happened. :P

2003 Mach 1 (Torch Red 5-sp with IUP)
VIN #344918
Built 11/12/02
Delivered 12/3/02
Sold 3/13/06
Tanklawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:09 AM   #37
musicalmerlin

Definitely paid a premium because it was a limited edition

I will agree with that point. I shelled out MSRP because I knew it was a limited edition, was what I *really* wanted and I wouldn't see too many others out there. If I had known they were going to spin more I would have pushed a bit harder on the dealership to get a discount.

That being said, I'll restate my earlier opinion: in a perfect world, I would rather see it continue to be an option, whether it be limited edition or a bigger run. Even if they decide to go ahead and make it a regular option, WE ALL HAVE VERY DESIREABLE FIRST YEAR LIMITED EDITION SPINS OF THE CAR. How many of those from the 60s do you *not* see pulling in big bucks (if you're worried about your 'investment')?

-mm

Wishing I had one or the other back...
musicalmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #38
ttown

My 02 cent:

The common Gt in only 4 grand less than the Mach 1. I'd rather them make a few more to keep the price down, the lower the production the more the cost.

I want a 06 Boss 302 and if they have to build it 3 or 4 years so us common people can have it so be it, this is where the mustang roots come from not those of the vette that only a few can afford!

You won't see tons of these on the street and with the cars that get totaled, the racers modifing the crap on the an LE car, and cars that get stoleand stripped the numbers will be less every year.

JMO
ttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:01 PM   #39
Red Mach'03
mach madness

I am in for the law suit. Keep me posted on everything. I was relly upset when i herd they were making more than 6500 this year now they are making more in 2004. I think ford should have sent a letter to all the people who bought one and asked them what they thought first. :!!:
Red Mach'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:32 PM   #40
TheOrkinMan

Please people, lets be realistic. Right now Ford is in some serious financial straights. If Ford really needs to money that would come from these Mach 1's, I don't care! Be happy with what you have.

Performance Mods:
Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats

Appearance Mods:
All MGW Interior Pieces
Visus Rear Window Louvers
Sequential Turn Signals
"281" Hood Stripe
TheOrkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:47 AM   #41
fastgta
Like to Horseplay

I'm kinda torn on this issue. I am enjoying the Mach and feel very lucky to have one. They are still so rare, a lot of folks don't know what they are. By making 5000 more in 2004, they may get a lot more public awareness. However, I would rather see Ford make the same car the with Boss appearance package(stripping). Then change the R code to something different. This would assure both cars to be unique and collectable, with very little expence to Ford.:THUMBSUP:

Current Stable
03 Mach1 Azure blue 5sp
86 Mustang GT
70 Mach1
67 GTA
fastgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 02:40 PM   #42
graniteguy

For some reason, I get notifications for class action lawsuits once or twice a year. One was on a TV that I bought and the agreed payout was a $50 gift certificate and a few million dollars to the lawyers. For those wanting to get money, it ain't gonna happen. For those wanting to "punish" Ford, get over it. I have yet to see anything by them that it was a one year only deal. What I remember is that the production will be limited to a percentage of the total mustangs built- maybe 3%, based on their estimate that would amount to 6,500. I could very well be wrong and do not remember where I read it. The point is a "limited edition" in 2003 has nothing to do with production numbers for future years. Putting legal jargon aside, show me where FORD said it was a one year ONLY. I could be wrong, but I don't think it was said.

Enjoy the car
graniteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:54 AM   #43
kdo2milger
UAV

I just wanted to say that I voted for "HAPPY" because I was in Kuwait from Oct 02 till mar 03, then jumped the burm into Iraq from mar 03 till may 03, and I am stationed in Germany currently, so there is no more 03 Machs available thru AAFES ENCS in USAREUR.

Long story short; I did'nt even realize that the Mach1's were being made until I was in Kuwait (Ali Al Salem, then Udarie), so I put it in the back of my mine that I would get one in 2004 if they were gonna make em, so I am glad there still making them, because while all of you were ordering and driving your Mach1's, I was pulling "guard duty" day dreaming of the chance just to be able to order and own my very own Mach1 so nough said.

Last edited by kdo2milger; 09-03-2003 at 02:25 PM.
kdo2milger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:17 PM   #44
mongoose

Smile

Well, kdo2milger, I guess in your case I'll let Ford make TWO 04 mach's.Your white one,and my Comp.Orange one,but that's the limit! God Bless America!
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:18 PM   #45
kdo2milger
UAV

Quote:
Originally posted by mongoose
Well, kdo2milger, I guess in your case I'll let Ford make TWO 04 mach's.Your white one,and my Comp.Orange one,but that's the limit! God Bless America!
:THUMBSUP: sweeet!!! thanks dude
kdo2milger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #46
MACHBeef

Lawsuit material

ok... ok... ok...

I'm in on ONE condition... That we make enough per person to buy another copy for our garage, and thereby keep exclusivity to ourselves!!!

Knowing my luck though... we'd get the $30,000 check and Ford would raise the price of the 04 Machs to $60,000 to offset the lawsuit costs...
Old 09-07-2003, 03:45 AM   #47
AZphil

Why make a 04 Mach1?

Quote:
Originally posted by 305PNYS
:LAUGH: :p Somewhere on here, no, I'm not going to do a search for it, someone said they expected only about 5000 cars for '04.
6500 + 5000 = 11500. No one has given a firm number for '04, so I low-balled it. Felt this would be more accurate as they haven't even sold all the '03's

As for being blonde....my hair is natural raven black and down to m
y waist....BUT...my father was blonde
Why is ford even producing a 04 mach 1? I heard on your boards that they were pushing $2500 rebates over the hoilday weekend and there are still plenty of 03s sitting on lots all over the country.If they only made 6500 units and they still cant sell them all fairly quickly,then im saying that the Mach1 didnt sell that well!!!
P.s Im pissed that they are producing a 04 model,one of the main reasons for me buying NEW was the one year only numbers,If i would of known all this,i would of waited and bought on the used market in a year or so,I also heard that it is hard to sell a 03 Mach 1 used,VERY SOFT<WHY?If it was to be limited,people would want it.Phil
AZphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:22 PM   #48
fastgta
Like to Horseplay

I wish I would have known they were going to offer rebates at the end of the year. I'm sure Ford was hoping the economy would be better by now. But, I have enjoyed mine for 9 months now. Once the 04 Mach is no longer produced and all units sold, the prices should stablize. When the economy rebounds, the Mach's will be hard to find. I.M.O. Still wish they would have changed something on the car and called it something else.

Current Stable
03 Mach1 Azure blue 5sp
86 Mustang GT
70 Mach1
67 GTA
fastgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #49
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

A Mach 1 is the Mustang I’ve been dreaming about for years. You know, more performance than the base and GT models, but not all the fancy expensive stuff they like to put on the Cobra. When I heard that only five to six thousand were going to be produced I figured my best shot was to pick up a low mileage/good condition one in a couple of years. When they started showing up at the dealerships with inflated dealer markups I knew I’d never own a new one. Well my lovely wife (bless her sweet sole) knew my feelings and dilemma and found a willing dealer for one of these, “$99 over invoice and no dealer markup deals”, unbeknownst to me and made me a HAPPY new owner last month.

I think Ford should continue to build affordable performance Mustangs (i.e. Mach 1’s) from now on. I wanted a Mach 1 from the very beginning not because of its exclusivity and possible future resale value but because it was the Mustang I wanted to enjoy and drive for years to come. I’ve owned seven Mustangs over the last 33 years and buy them to drive and enjoy. Why shouldn’t more people have the same opportunity?
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 09-15-2003, 11:36 PM   #50
Indy Mach

The reality of ownership for this car was one of the main reasons I can drive this car today. Just think if the situation was exactly opposite. What if Ford built 250 copies for 03 only. The price would be much higher. Dealers would gouge prices even more. And I would not be driving one today. That's why I don't own a 93,95, or 2000 Cobra R. And it's fair to say that this website would not be, either as succesful, or exist at all. Last time I looked there were over 1800 members. You won't get 1800 website members with 250 cars in existance. I'm happy for the Mach 1 owners who was financially "on the outside looking in" until the rebates and low financing made the car a reality for them. I welcome them with open arms, even though I paid more than they did. Now go drive your Machs and have some fun!