2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #26
LXS

Re: Need some help/info please, trans problem

Here's a quick vid that I shot that same night.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #27
USMCWeatherMan

Man from that vid it sure looks like your clutch fork is off the pivot ball stud. If I remember correctly when I replaced my clutch I could easily move the clutch fork forward and backward, but all that extra play you have makes me think its not even on the stud anymore.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM   #28
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

In you video - when you were pulling the fork towards you and it was kind of banging/popping off - you were actually pulling the fork off the pivot ball. When you pushed it back in - you may/or may not have gotten it back on the pivot ball. There should be a little vertical play - but not much. In the vid - it was hard to tell - but I think you are probably back on the pivot ball. Otherwise, if you weren't on the pivot ball, the fork would be resting pretty close to, if not touching, the bottom of the metal access window.

Another thing to consider - are all your pieces the same brand? For example - my system didn't work properly at first because I had a different brand firewall adjuster (promotion powertrain), quadrant (steeda) and cable (MM). Turns out all the quadrants are different sizes as well as the firewall adjusters. The firewall adjuster I had was too thick to work with my quadrant...ended up having to go with MM stuff for everything (MM modified OE cable, MM firewall adjuster, MM quadrant).
Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #29
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Also - cables do stretch. So if this is your original cable - that might also be part of the problem.

I would just try to get the car in the air, hook everything up, and figure out where the TOB is in relation to the PP fingers with different adjustments (FW adjuster all the way in/out and using different quadrant hooks). If you can get the TOB in what appears to be the proper position (just barely off the teeth when in resting position - maybe even slightly touching) then you can get a better idea of what's going on. Maybe have a friend try and push the clutch in and out while you are under watching.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #30
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^^ I will start with the disclaimer that I have super sensitive hearing but I ran the MM firewall adjuster for a while and at least back then it was a single bolt mounting setup and I noticed creaking from the firewall partway through the clutch travel after it was in there a while.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
Mach828
Dark Knight

My clutch fork was really sloppy on the pivot ball and wouldn't even stay on it. Ended up switch to the Maximum Motorsports clutch fork, and a fresh pivot ball. Fixed a lot of shifting issues I was having. Might be something to consider. But being able to pull it on and off the pivot ball like you do in the video is normal.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #32
LXS

I am sooo d*mn lazy right now and don't feel like dropping the tranny lol I did pick up a new pivot ball from Ford tho, so I'm happy about that! I'm a bit tight on funds right now but would pick up a new fork if I was able to. I've been monkeying around with the fork and trying to see if I can get lucky and pop the sucker back in, but no dice so far! Hahahaha Looks like I'll be spending the weekend dropping and reinstalling the tranny......again! I know I can easily have it down and back up in a few short hours, I just don't feel like rushing right now. I'm just gonna take my sweet time and do it. If I finish today then cool, if I finish tomorrow, then awesome! ☺

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #33
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
My clutch fork was really sloppy on the pivot ball and wouldn't even stay on it. Ended up switch to the Maximum Motorsports clutch fork, and a fresh pivot ball. Fixed a lot of shifting issues I was having. Might be something to consider. But being able to pull it on and off the pivot ball like you do in the video is normal.
Agree, I got rid of alot of slop when I put a matching Ford fork and pivot ball.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #34
LXS

Ok so I didn't get much of anything done today, I just wasn't in the mood or the zone to start tearing her apart again. I had a long tough week at work which started off with a long tough (last) weekend of wrenching on the car, so I was basically mentally and physically exhausted. I got the car off the ground again and tinkered with firewall adjustments to no avail. Surprisingly I managed to contort my arm and was able to squeeze the sucker all the way up and in and I did feel the end of the fork and pivot ball stud! While my arm was up in there I managed to use a pry bar (as an extension for my right hand) and popped the fork down releasing it from the pivot ball. I felt the two fork teeth and did my best to guide the fork back onto the pivot ball (which felt like it engaged properly) and proceeded to tinker with firewall adjustments to no avail! I ended up putting everything away and decided to call it a day, walk away and enjoy the rest of my evening (I wasted a good 2 or 3 hours napping....told you I was tired! lol). I figured it'd be best to rest up, get me a good night's sleep and I'll be ready and focused for what I have to do tomorrow....dropping the trans, install the new pivot ball stud and slapping her all back up and together......carefully! lol I sooo hope this resolves the problem, I NEED my car!!!! Thanks a lot everyone for chiming in, it's all been very much appreciated! ☺

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #35
LXS

Problem solved and case closed!

I had a buddy of mine come over to take a look at what I've done. He got under the car, looked at the fork position, pivot ball, throw out bearing, clutch cable, adjustment, etc. and came to the conclusion that everything is installed correctly! After about 30mins of lookin around and thinking, he came to the theory/conclusion that the problem was my clutch! He noticed that I had a LOT of rust build up on my rotors.....well the car has sat for two years, so rust is bound to show up! Anyway, being that the transmission had been off the vehicle for approximately 2 years, he said that more than likely water/moisture found it's way on the clutch and caused it to rust and get stuck together. And the reason the pedal felt normal was because the friction disc was stuck to the pressure plate, not the flywheel.

The fix? With all 4 wheels off the ground, I put it into gear, let the wheels spin, and after a few seconds of momentum, slam the brakes! Well after spending a good amount of time bleeding the brakes and master cylinder, i had a rear end issue and had the calipers off, I had brakes again! So I did as he told me, slammed the brakes and noticed the rpms drop drastically, but the wheels kept turning with the clutch pedal down. This next attempt I put the tranny into 3rd gear, let the wheels build up some speed, then slammed the brakes and pulled the e-brake lever which caused the motor to stall then shut off. I started the car back up, put into into 1st, asked my dad if the wheels were turning and he said NO! I was soo ecstatic that I jumped and took my foot off the clutch pedal and almost made the car shut off! Hahaha I put the clutch in and put it into every single gear including reverse and the wheels stopped moving! I finally have my car back!!!! Now all that's left to do is get the smog done so I can get my tags and I'm good to go!

Thanks again to everyone for taking their time to comment and offer up info! And a HUGE thanks to my buddies Jeff and Ken for all their help and input as well! You and your out of the box thinking, you the man!!! lol *thumbsup*

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #36
not a gt

Good deal man, glad you got it fixed , good friends and fresh eyes always help
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #37
LXS

Most definitely, thanks!!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!