2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results

Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results Questions, experiences & results for electronic tuning and dyno tests

Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
TRbetngu

Canned tune from trusted source or dyno tune from non-reputable tuner?

Sort of at a dilemma here, not really, just a minor inconvenience. The car is tuned now, but it needs a re-tune for reasons.

1) I bought the car in Alabama where they must have an abundance of 93 octane, because where I'm from there is one station that has it and it's about a 45 minute drive. Which is not too bad now because I'm working near the station, but I won't be soon and will not be driving 45 minutes for a fill up every week. So, unfortunately, I'm having to go down to 91.

2) I've added a couple different mods (Borlas and intake spacer) and I'm looking to have the traction control permanently off, maybe cut out EGR, and hopefully will be swapping to 4.10s soon.

Typically I'd just have Bama re-do the tune because I think the tune I have now is alright, but apparently the tunes aren't transferrable and I'd have to buy a whole new set of 3.

The real question is, do I go with a tune from LaSota racing? Do I buy another set of tunes form Bama and deal with them? Or would it be better to go to a local "Mustang specialty" shop that only a few people have dealt with. The people who have dealt with them and given me reviews are basically friends with the shop owner and tuner, so I'm not really sure how biased or unbiased their reviews are, but they say good things.

Which would be a safer bet? The car won't see forced induction anytime soon, so really it's all bolt-ons and nothing else; mods below. I can't imagine a tune for all of this can be very difficult, but I really don't want to risk it with the dyno shop if a $50 tune from LaSota can get me where I need to be. Does anyone have opinions? Thanks in advance!

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Re: Canned tune from trusted source or dyno tune from non-reputable tuner?

I have a base tune (the first one he sends you) from LaSota Racing and it works fine. I could have him fine tune it with a data log session, but with my mods, it's not necessary. I've got borla's, an off road H midpipe and use 93 gas and that's about it really. I kept my traction control active because I didn't want to burn the light out in my switch (it stays lighted with 'off' all the time). I had a crappy Bama tune before and am very happy with his tune. He knows what he's doing.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I have a base tune (the first one he sends you) from LaSota Racing and it works fine. I could have him fine tune it with a data log session, but with my mods, it's not necessary. I've got borla's, an off road H midpipe and use 93 gas and that's about it really. I kept my traction control active because I didn't want to burn the light out in my switch (it stays lighted with 'off' all the time). I had a crappy Bama tune before and am very happy with his tune. He knows what he's doing.
So, if you don't mind me asking, was that the $50 tune or the $100 since you can send the data logging back? I think just the tune he sends you with no data logging is $50, and I am very strongly considering doing that.

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 05-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRbetngu View Post
So, if you don't mind me asking, was that the $50 tune or the $100 since you can send the data logging back? I think just the tune he sends you with no data logging is $50, and I am very strongly considering doing that.
with your set of MODS...that is what I would do...if you had a power adder that would be a different story
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #5
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
with your set of MODS...that is what I would do...if you had a power adder that would be a different story
Thanks littlemags!

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
311-420
Can't be bridled

With as long as these cars have been out, tunes for simple bolt on combinations should be available from lots of tuners. I'd probably try lasotta like mentioned or another reputable tuner if you don't have confidence in a shop nearby that could do it up custom for you.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:22 AM   #7
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:

Yup, mine was the $50 tune.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #8
slomach03

I've heard Torrie from Unleashed can write a good tune on the SCT. He charges $399 plus shipping for the new tuner and one tune. That's the route I'm considering. I can't touch the Bama risk
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
slomach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomach03 View Post
I've heard Torrie from Unleashed can write a good tune on the SCT. He charges $399 plus shipping for the new tuner and one tune. That's the route I'm considering. I can't touch the Bama risk
I went ahead and ordered one from LaSota. Super easy to do and Don seemed knowledgeable. I had the tune about 5 minutes after sending the money!

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 05-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered one from LaSota. Super easy to do and Don seemed knowledgeable. I had the tune about 5 minutes after sending the money!
Well, how's it run?
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
Well, how's it run?
At work now, I'm off in an hour. That's when we'll know. Only thing that worries me is whenever I got the tune I asked him if he put the mods in the tune that I had JUST sent him in an email (catback, O/R x pipe, intake spacer, K&N intake), and he said "those things should not affect the tune". How true is this? Kind of scares me a little bit but I guess he's the professional lol

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #12
slomach03

Quote:
At work now, I'm off in an hour. That's when we'll know. Only thing that worries me is whenever I got the tune I asked him if he put the mods in the tune that I had JUST sent him in an email (catback, O/R x pipe, intake spacer, K&N intake), and he said "those things should not affect the tune". How true is this? Kind of scares me a little bit but I guess he's the professional lol
That's kinda weird although I have heard that before but from Bama. Maybe since it's not an actual dyno tune they can't get much from exhausting mods.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
DJAMiller

Quote:
Sort of at a dilemma here, not really, just a minor inconvenience. The car is tuned now, but it needs a re-tune for reasons.

1) I bought the car in Alabama where they must have an abundance of 93 octane, because where I'm from there is one station that has it and it's about a 45 minute drive. Which is not too bad now because I'm working near the station, but I won't be soon and will not be driving 45 minutes for a fill up every week. So, unfortunately, I'm having to go down to 91.

2) I've added a couple different mods (Borlas and intake spacer) and I'm looking to have the traction control permanently off, maybe cut out EGR, and hopefully will be swapping to 4.10s soon.

Typically I'd just have Bama re-do the tune because I think the tune I have now is alright, but apparently the tunes aren't transferrable and I'd have to buy a whole new set of 3.

The real question is, do I go with a tune from LaSota racing? Do I buy another set of tunes form Bama and deal with them? Or would it be better to go to a local "Mustang specialty" shop that only a few people have dealt with. The people who have dealt with them and given me reviews are basically friends with the shop owner and tuner, so I'm not really sure how biased or unbiased their reviews are, but they say good things.

Which would be a safer bet? The car won't see forced induction anytime soon, so really it's all bolt-ons and nothing else; mods below. I can't imagine a tune for all of this can be very difficult, but I really don't want to risk it with the dyno shop if a $50 tune from LaSota can get me where I need to be. Does anyone have opinions? Thanks in advance!
I've just discovered the same from BAMA, they need to state that more clearly when you buy it, at the time I don't recall seeing that anywhere . What's with all the negativity I've seen on BAMA lately by the way? Are they no good?
DJAMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
slomach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAMiller View Post
I've just discovered the same from BAMA, they need to state that more clearly when you buy it, at the time I don't recall seeing that anywhere . What's with all the negativity I've seen on BAMA lately by the way? Are they no good?
They seem to have a lot of scattered issues throughout all mustang years. The machs seem to have even more with reports of tip in, pinging, and even reports of people who have had Bama tunes wipe their computers clean. I personally ran the SCT eliminator chip with Bama tunes on it for a couple days and it was a nightmare.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAMiller View Post

I got my tuner and first tunes from Bama in 2012. I experienced pinging from each of the tunes they gave me (I think they called them standard, performance, and race). The race tune was so bad, I had pinging at half throttle lol. I picked the performance tune, since it seemed to run the smoothest and pinged only at full throttle. I called and asked them if I could data log. First, they had me change to a colder copper spark plug, but no data log. Still had problems, so they finally said okay to data log. It took 4 more iterations of the tune to get the pinging to stop lol. I ran with that up until finally deciding to get a retune from another tuner. I waited until I needed a change, when I got an off road midpipe. LaSota didn't say whether or not that changed the tune, but I didn't really ask. I just wanted a new tune lol. I could tell it was better right from the first startup lol. It ran smoother and accelerated smoother than with the Bama tune. Overall, I was disappointed in myself for waiting so long to go with a different tuner.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #16
slomach03

My Bama tune was so bad that the tuner would throw the car into an anti theft mode randomly, which is terrifying when your car just dies at 85mph on the freeway. Called Bama said F you and returned it to AM.
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
Old 06-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Fauxnali
What's Shakin'

Sorry to hear of the issues you've all had with Bama tumes. I've had mine for 5 years and no issues, Ive used all three tunes, Standard 91 octane, Performance 91 and Race 93 tune. Mods in sig, no issues.

I'm thinking of adding a ProCharger Stage II Kit from AM, and it comes with a canned tune, anyone have experience with that or did they drive it straight to a dyno shop?

1985 Mustang GT T-tops
Sold

2003 Azure Blue
IUP Automatic
One of 453
#2290 of 9652
Built on February 24th 2003
Eibach Pro-Kit, no ISO's in rear
Magnapacks CatBacks
Mac O/R X-pipe
K&N Drop in filter
4.10 Ford Racing Gears
SCT Tuned by Bama
Best 1/4 13.34 @ 104.40

Instagram @johnny_kipp
Fauxnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
01yellerCobra

I would never run a canned tune with a forced induction set up. If you can datalog you can do a remote tune. Otherwise look for a local tuner.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
slomach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
I would never run a canned tune with a forced induction set up. If you can datalog you can do a remote tune. Otherwise look for a local tuner.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
I second that sounds like a terrible idea. I would never run a Bama tune again in general
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs