2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Mach Dawg
Dawg fan

Subwoofer/amp issue? Loud popping when radio turned on

Long time no post. Anyway whenever I try to power up the radio the speakers especially in the rear will pop/crackle after a few seconds & once I power it down they stop of course. If I pull the 30 amp fuse for the subwoofers it works fine for awhile. This leads me to believe there is an issue with those, but I also did pull the radio out to get my CD's out--it ate them! So wondering if I messed up there somehow? If it is the subs how much is that gonna cost to repair?
And lastly is there an aftermarket radio similar to factory I could swap to? I can't seem to find one that holds 6 CD's.

Thanks in advance
Performance Mods: K&N FIPK, MagnaPack Cat Back, MGW Shifter, PHP intake spacer, Shaker air diverter, MAC Prochamber H pipe-PC9900, SCT X3 tuner from VMPtuning.com
Visual Mods: Cyberdyne water temp gauge, raised shaker, removed gas pedal slack, Anti-Theft Valve Stem caps, Hurst shift ball, window tint, vinyl letters on bumper, & billet pedals.
Mach Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: Subwoofer/amp issue? Loud popping when radio turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach Dawg View Post
Long time no post. Anyway whenever I try to power up the radio the speakers especially in the rear will pop/crackle after a few seconds & once I power it down they stop of course. If I pull the 30 amp fuse for the subwoofers it works fine for awhile. This leads me to believe there is an issue with those, but I also did pull the radio out to get my CD's out--it ate them! So wondering if I messed up there somehow? If it is the subs how much is that gonna cost to repair?
And lastly is there an aftermarket radio similar to factory I could swap to? I can't seem to find one that holds 6 CD's.

Thanks in advance
Those radios are known to eat CDs, I have two of them. Now I use a Pioneer Head unit. As far as the crackle/pop, if everything is factory then double check your plugs, if still happens then most likely you have an amp that is failing. You can try swapping the two amps in the rear deck and see if the pop follows the amp or the speakers, this will tell you where the issue it. But, the amps are old and are very cheaply made, they could be going bad. Or, your head unit...
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote