2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
SchwermoRacing

2018 Mustang GT, more HP than a Camaro SS

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/24/2...han-camaro-ss/

"Most impressive is the GT, which now produces an extra 25 horsepower and 20 pound-feet of torque to bring it to 460 horsepower and 420 pound-feet total. That puts the GT ahead of the Camaro SS by 5 horsepower, though it still trails the bow-tie-branded pony car by 35 pound-feet of torque."

Sub 4sec 0-60 and it seems the 10spd Auto and Perf Pkg are the fastest trims.
SchwermoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
SouthKak_Mach1

Re: 2018 Mustang GT, more HP than a Camaro SS

More HP and TQ is always a great thing, but did they do anything to shave some weight off the car? A lot of people had doubts about this 10 speed transmission when Ford announced that they were in collaboration with GM building one, but the hard work paid off. It's proving itself to be a great performance transmission so far.
2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (DSG), Borla Stingers Catback, C&L CAI, SCT X4 Custom Tune, Black Chrome Rovos Durban Wheels (18x9 F, 18x10.5 R) on Nitto NT05s (275/35/18 F, 295/35/18 R), Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Receiver, MM C/C Plates, Rolled Rear Fenders, Eibach Sportlines/Struts/Shocks, Raxiom Smoked Taillights/Third Brake Light/LED Bulbs, Clear Headlights w/ Black Housing, Polished Aluminum Interior Accents, 30% Window Tint, Tinted Side Markers, Carbon Fiber Valve Stem Caps, Black Shorty Antenna
SouthKak_Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
SchwermoRacing

IMO weight isn't a huge issue, its less than the Challenger base when fully loaded, and the GT is mess than an SS. It's only about 250 more than a Corvette.

Could it be lighter? Sure, but does it super need it? Not really IMO. It wouldn't hurt for 150 or so to be dropped though.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I really like the new 2018 bodystyle changes, plus 460 N/A power is killer. I haven't gotten butterflies in my stomach like this since I heard the Mach was gonna be built. This could be the reason to ditch my Mach.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Keep the Mach. The big question is going to be the HP2 car. Stick only and unique wheels, are we looking at a Mach 1, a Bullitt, a Cobra Jet or what?

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
4valve 4tw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwermoRacing View Post
IMO weight isn't a huge issue, its less than the Challenger base when fully loaded, and the GT is mess than an SS. It's only about 250 more than a Corvette.

Could it be lighter? Sure, but does it super need it? Not really IMO. It wouldn't hurt for 150 or so to be dropped though.
The 15+ Mustang GT premium comes out almost 250lbs heavier then a 11-14. Right now with it gaining weight and the Camaro losing weight, it's much heavier then the Camaro. This hp bump wont let it edge out the Camaro at all. Right now there's a small chasm between the two, auto to auto and manual to manual. Even the manual Camaro is way quicker then auto Mustang. This new 10 speed should certainly help with the high revving 5.0 though.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
The 15+ Mustang GT premium comes out almost 250lbs heavier then a 11-14. Right now with it gaining weight and the Camaro losing weight, it's much heavier then the Camaro. This hp bump wont let it edge out the Camaro at all. Right now there's a small chasm between the two, auto to auto and manual to manual. Even the manual Camaro is way quicker then auto Mustang. This new 10 speed should certainly help with the high revving 5.0 though.

No. It's not. The Camaro is only lighter in the base versions and that's only by 130lbs. Once you start loading them up the Camaro can weight up to 300+ more than the Mustang.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
4valve 4tw?

...I know they look extremely similar, but you know there's a new, new Camaro right? Although I was wrong that the Mustang only gained about 150+lbs. Of note: the Performance Pack is required to be apples to apples with the SS's standard performance hardware.

Auto Camaro 2SS vs manual GT premium performance pack
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rd-mustang-gt/

Manual Camaro 1SS vs manual GT premium performance pack
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...rd-mustang-gt/

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
Old 07-27-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
...I know they look extremely similar, but you know there's a new, new Camaro right? Although I was wrong that the Mustang only gained about 150+lbs. Of note: the Performance Pack is required to be apples to apples with the SS's standard performance hardware.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rd-mustang-gt/

Manual Camaro 1SS vs manual GT premium performance pack
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...rd-mustang-gt/

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
The 2017 Camaro tops out at 4,125lbs curb weight, the '17 Mustang only tops out at 3,825. The I'm pretty sure that puts a Camaro at a near 300lb weight disadvantage. a stripped Camaro and Mustang is the difference of 130lbs.

Also with the PerfPkg the 2017 GT is still 1K less than a Camaro SS, and in 2018 it's 1K more. They are comparably priced.

Also I'd like to point out how shitty C&D's driver must be to only hit a 13.0 in a manual GT. People are hitting that in a EcoBoost with PerfPkg and flash only.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Also I'd like to point out how shitty C&D's driver must be to only hit a 13.0 in a manual GT. People are hitting that in a EcoBoost with PerfPkg and flash only.

C@D has the worst test drivers on the planet. I remember looking through one of their magazines years ago and they tested at least 6 really high performance cars and couldn't get out of the 13's with any of them.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #11
4valve 4tw?

Quote:
The 2017 Camaro tops out at 4,125lbs curb weight, the '17 Mustang only tops out at 3,825. The I'm pretty sure that puts a Camaro at a near 300lb weight disadvantage. a stripped Camaro and Mustang is the difference of 130lbs.
I can see you're biased, but I could not have laid the facts out any more in front of you, that's why I linked 3 sources. All were a real world range. A 1SS Camaro weighs roughly 3670 and a 2SS weighs roughly 3760. I don't know what else to say. A 650hp supercharged, convertible ZL1 is a bit over 4100lbs, but if you're trying to tell me that was your point, that a loaded vert ZL1 weighs more then a 0 options GT, you're not concerned with apples to apples.

Quote:
Also with the PerfPkg the 2017 GT is still 1K less than a Camaro SS, and in 2018 it's 1K more. They are comparably priced.
I never said otherwise. In fact, I agree as most used to argue that the 15 GT was much better since it started at $33k and an SS at $37k. But the upgraded hardware of the performance pack is required to put it on a more level playing field, and thus comparably priced.

Quote:
I agree, but irrelevant. Factually, the 15+ Mustang GT is, trim for trim, a bit heavier then an 11-14 GT with a minor power increase. 2 years later, my opinion based on every single review of the S550 hasn't changed. It's a much improved overall "car" then the S197, but at least in a straight line, it's not much better as a performance car.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #12
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
I can see you're biased, but I could not have laid the facts out any more in front of you, that's why I linked 3 sources. All were a real world range. A 1SS Camaro weighs roughly 3670 and a 2SS weighs roughly 3760. I don't know what else to say. A 650hp supercharged, convertible ZL1 is a bit over 4100lbs, but if you're trying to tell me that was your point, that a loaded vert ZL1 weighs more then a 0 options GT, you're not concerned with apples to apples.
And a Mustang GT weight is about 3750. That's less than a 100lbs difference in either way. That's low enough to come down to tires and driver.

The point is that weight is not a big of a variable on these that people seem to like to make it. the differences are more than enough that the tires/drive/power are having more of an impact.