2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
slomach03

Need to make a choice. Advice please

As some of you may know I’ve had a myriad of issues with my 03 Mach. I’m getting close to having it paid off and I’m at a juncture where I need to make a decision soon. Ive been planning to trade it in for a new or newer car but new things are expensive and I’d rather not have too much of a car payment on my hands. My other option is to fix the Mach and make it as bullet proof as possible. I’d be adding wider rear rims and tires, new rack and pinion, new plugs and COPs, new coil covers, headgaskets, lowering springs, LED conversion, FRPP trac lok, moser axles, FRPP MAFS, custom valvebody or JMOD, a torque converter, new shaker gasket if I can find one, and a custom dyno tune. I won’t be installing any of this myself so I’m expecting to pay $5000+ for all this. Much cheaper then buying a new car and it would clear up all the current issues I’ve had and still have. However it won’t be nearly as fast as some of the new cars I’m considering. What do you guys think?
ICT Billet 1/2in Spacer
JLT Ram Air Intake
FRPP 4.10 Gears
FRPP Aluminum DriveShaft
SCT REV X Tuner
Black 17X9 1995 Cobra Rs
slomach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Turbo900rr

Re: Need to make a choice. Advice please

I hate to admit it, but I'd get in good condition. No cel's etc and trade it in for 11 or newer coyote. You'll get a better deal if you sell the Mach outright of course.
Turbo900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

That's a tough call. You really haven't gotten the enjoyment out of the car that most owners enjoy before having to repair stuff. Really depends how happy you think you'll be after these new repairs are done, and if you'll keep the Mach for a decent amount of time. Not really worth it if you think you'll end up selling it in afew years anyway, or you're constantly feeling horsepower short-changed by the newer Mustang power. Bottom line, whether it's 300 or 460 horsepower, unless your taking it to the track every week, you'll have very few times to unharness all the speed you have on the streets. Another aspect would be your disposable income. Not worth being broke either way you decide.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #4
RLWPA

My two cents: I would take care of the gremlins only, then run the car for a while to decide which way to go; if it keeps giving you grief, time to move on, if not, keep it and make the changes that you want to make.
RLWPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Fix what needs fixed. Skip any performance stuff. Pay off car. Then decide what to do with it.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
HAEG
Heppasketties

As someone who traded the Mach1 for a Shelby in 2010, I love the Shelby but always missed the Mach1 after trading it in. I was lucky enough to keep tabs on where it was through the years and bought it back a year ago. If it came down to selling the Mach1 or 2011 GT500 it would be a tough decision to make. The new car is a great car and is a blast to drive but there is something about the Mach1 I really enjoy the car.
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomach03 View Post
As some of you may know I’ve had a myriad of issues with my 03 Mach. I’m getting close to having it paid off and I’m at a juncture where I need to make a decision soon. Ive been planning to trade it in for a new or newer car but new things are expensive and I’d rather not have too much of a car payment on my hands. My other option is to fix the Mach and make it as bullet proof as possible. I’d be adding wider rear rims and tires, new rack and pinion, new plugs and COPs, new coil covers, headgaskets, lowering springs, LED conversion, FRPP trac lok, moser axles, FRPP MAFS, custom valvebody or JMOD, a torque converter, new shaker gasket if I can find one, and a custom dyno tune. I won’t be installing any of this myself so I’m expecting to pay $5000+ for all this. Much cheaper then buying a new car and it would clear up all the current issues I’ve had and still have. However it won’t be nearly as fast as some of the new cars I’m considering. What do you guys think?
Loudmouth 1's and 4.10's already on the Mach...the choice is clear, keep it!
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Recon

I’m in a slightly similar boat. I bought my car broken and I had a number in my head of what it would take to fix it. Well, I’m close to that number in the engine rebuild alone, in just most of the parts, not all or counting any labor. Also furnished some cams for the car, which the old ones were junk. I have no idea if the trans and rear end are any good. The body is in terrible shape for the mileage (33k) the car has. The interior has been cheaply painted to match the silver center dash that all Mach’s came with.
Now you have to be brutally honest with yourself on this situation. Do you want to fix your car? Are you willing to spend the necessary amount to get it where it needs to be, repair-wise? Can you be happy with a N/A 4V, knowing it’s not as fast as the newer cars? Being you’ll need a power adder or an aggressive N/A build to be relevant with today’s market.
To tell you the truth from the vibe I get from your post; I don’t think you want your Mach 1 anymore. Which is perfectly fine, you just need to do whatever is going to make you happy. If you want your Mach to be relevant with today’s market you’ll have to dump more $$$ for that. If you want to trade it in on a newer car then go for it.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote