2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
69GT

Difficult shifter 2003

Any one else have this problem?
When I shift from one gear to another it's not a smooth one step process. it always stops before going into the next slot then goes in. No grinding nothing seems to be wrong. It's just impossible to do it in one smooth motion even with the clutch pedal to the floor. I read on here somewhere that the 2003 models had an inferior shifter. I can go from slot to slot fine when the car is idling with clutch to the floor. just not in motion.
I am an experienced power shifter and this makes me sad
69GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
mikeracing
MECHANIC

Re: Difficult shifter 2003

Its not the shifter per say do you have the stock clutch adjuster? Is the trans filled to the correct level ? What rpm are you shifting ?

These trans are netorious for not being able to shift fast at hi rpm. Fluid level and type realy helps. Mine is almost only used for track use so i changed to dextron 3 helps the syncros out. The syncros could be worn ( not in the traditional sens like a old trans that would grind but where it dosent get grip on the gear set

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT View Post
Any one else have this problem?
When I shift from one gear to another it's not a smooth one step process. it always stops before going into the next slot then goes in. No grinding nothing seems to be wrong. It's just impossible to do it in one smooth motion even with the clutch pedal to the floor. I read on here somewhere that the 2003 models had an inferior shifter. I can go from slot to slot fine when the car is idling with clutch to the floor. just not in motion.
I am an experienced power shifter and this makes me sad
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
69GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracing View Post
Its not the shifter per say do you have the stock clutch adjuster? Is the trans filled to the correct level ? What rpm are you shifting ?

These trans are netorious for not being able to shift fast at hi rpm. Fluid level and type realy helps. Mine is almost only used for track use so i changed to dextron 3 helps the syncros out. The syncros could be worn ( not in the traditional sens like a old trans that would grind but where it dosent get grip on the gear set
It does it at any RPM while the car is moving. Haven't checked the trans fluid yet. It does appear to be the syncros because I can shift it correctly slot to slot wiith no syncro interference with the car idling.

It does have the stock clutch adjuster. Car has only 42,000 on it.

What would you do first? I am thinking tranny flush and dextron 3 like you said.

Just never in all my years driving seen one do that. This is my first non T-5 5-Speed. My SVO and LX 5.0 all shifted and powershifted like butter.

Also the pedals on this Mach 1 are no where near as heal toe friendly as the SVO pedals. Do you know if there is a pedal spacer for these?

Thanks for the response
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
mikeracing
MECHANIC

Lol i would start with the change of fluid. Make sure you don't over fill it. There is a tsb for how low below the fill plug the leval needs to be .

Adjust the clutch (push the clutch pedal to the floor slide your foot off the pedal so the pedal slams against the stop)

I find you can speed shift below 5k rpm but when i was drag racing trying to shift at 6500 was a no go.

The 3650 is a nice trans for a normal street car but leaves alot to be desired for a car that spins to 7k.

But since it is not shifting moving but dose stopped i am thinking its the worn syncros
Old 06-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
mikeracing
MECHANIC

I am not familiar with the svo pedals but i find iy rather easy to heal toe but for me its left side of foot brake right side gas not tecaniclly heal toe but doing the same job
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
69GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracing View Post
I am not familiar with the svo pedals but i find iy rather easy to heal toe but for me its left side of foot brake right side gas not tecaniclly heal toe but doing the same job
I am going to try it that way. So used to doing it the other way that it seems crazy
Yeah the SVO had a pretty good heel toe set up. Pedals were same height and close enough together that you could simultaneously brake and blip the throttle to rev match a downshift. On my Mach I have to briefly take my foot off the brake or be mean to my clutch. My LX 5.0 had a little worse set up but it still worked. Just surprised to see the pedals on a much newer model of performance Mustang being less driver friendly.
They make pedal spacers for the Focus ST/ Fiesta ST crowd so I was hoping I could find one someone on here could recommend.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
j rick kirby

I put my heel on the brake and toe on the gas. Works great!
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT View Post
Also the pedals on this Mach 1 are no where near as heal toe friendly as the SVO pedals. Do you know if there is a pedal spacer for these?
take a look at the following post. it is a simple mod to bring the throttle pedal up closer to the height of the brake pedal from the floorboard.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1616821&postcount=12

I've also read on the internetz that putting an extra spring on the throttle body to make the throttle feel "heavier" adds a little better feel to the throttle response. I have not tried this personally.
_
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote