2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 10-31-2003, 05:22 PM   #51
red4vshaker

Tranny Problems

My mach has 2100 miles, bone stock and I have noticed problems shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 with a noise not a grinding when shifting normaly. It seems like a sincro problem. Is this a simalar problem you have been experiencing?
Old 10-31-2003, 07:27 PM   #52
Bullitt#3441

Regarding the 1-2 shift "crunch". I have a Tremec 3650 in my Bullitt and had this problem (only when the car was cold). I brought it to Ford three times to have it fixed and they never fixed it correctly.

If you have this problem I strongly recommend you ask Ford for a new transmission and a new clutch. Don't waste your time having them try and "fix" it.
Bullitt#3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #53
rcode99

experiment with this!

I tried this today. I don't know what made me remember it from the old days. But it made a difference. I'm used to grabbing the shift knob with my hand resting at maybe the 2 or 3 o'clock position. The trans usually is touchy going from 1 to 2. I grabbed the knob ovet the top - hand at 12 o'clock - and made sure I was pulling the shifter straight back. Time after time if I pulled it straight back it semed to just slide into 2nd gear. Mind you this was just normal shifting, about 2 to 2,5 rpm. But as soon as a left my hand go back to the side it wanted to hang a little again.

It might mean absolutely nothing but I thought I'd mention this.

"Never slap a man who has a mouthful of chewing tobacco." Will Rogers said that.
rcode99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:24 PM   #54
Angus66
1/4 Mile Drags Moderator

Update 11/01/03:

Took off the Tri-Ax this past weekend & re-installed the stock shifter mechanism.

Took the car out (cold) for a spin & was able to hit 3rd gear easily over 6000 rpm.

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, tried to do the same 6000+ rpm 2-3 shifts a few more times (with the now warmed-up car).
Unfortunately, I couldn't repeat the first success - it still won't go into 3rd (quickly) over 6000 rpm's or so.

If I shift it VERY slowly & carefully, it goes into 3rd.
If I try to shift quickly, no dice...

Guess it's time to take it to the dealer so they can tell me there's nothing wrong with it...
Angus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 PM   #55
BlkMachWon
WTF?

Re: experiment with this!

Quote:
Originally posted by rcode99
I tried this today. I don't know what made me remember it from the old days. But it made a difference. I'm used to grabbing the shift knob with my hand resting at maybe the 2 or 3 o'clock position. The trans usually is touchy going from 1 to 2. I grabbed the knob ovet the top - hand at 12 o'clock - and made sure I was pulling the shifter straight back. Time after time if I pulled it straight back it semed to just slide into 2nd gear. Mind you this was just normal shifting, about 2 to 2,5 rpm. But as soon as a left my hand go back to the side it wanted to hang a little again.

It might mean absolutely nothing but I thought I'd mention this.
I too have noticed the trans. is very sensitive to pulling straight back into gear, not towards you at all. Same for third, very touchy about the precision.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:14 PM   #56
rcode99

Yeah! Got to rub them the right way or they put up a fuss and kick you out. Where have I heard that before??

"Never slap a man who has a mouthful of chewing tobacco." Will Rogers said that.
rcode99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:35 PM   #57
Billybong
Go For Launch!

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybong
My Mach is in the shop at Tommy Vaughn Ford and they are evaluating the tranny problems. Until now they have pleaded ignorance. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
OK I got the car back from TVF and this is what they told me. First of all they did acknowledge the problem as the tranny tech test drove my car and agreed on the clunky shifting and the lockout. He checked the tranny fluid level and acknowledged it was full. He call the Ford national advisory line and Ford advised to "Take no further action." What is up with that BS anyway?

They did replace some frontend bushings and some kind of 'tube' to fix my frontend noise problem. I did get a free oil change out of the deal.

I am not satisfied with the answer I got on the tranny and was disappointed with the way I was treated by the service manager and the service writer at Tommy Vaughn Ford.
Billybong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #58
fomoco69

Re: Evil 2nd to 3rd gear Tremec problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golions View Post
Ok, you are starting to bore me. How about I modify my statement so you can unbunch your shorts.

- A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE ON STANGNET.COM MODIFY THEIR MUSTANGS FOR INCREASED PERFORMANCE. OF THIS LARGE PERCENTAGE, THERE ARE A NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO OVER MODIFY.

Is that better? No you can move on with your life. And to be honest I don't care where you specifically fall in the spectrum. I will repeat my statment:
that Ford should not be held respnsible for warrenty work once it leaves the dealership.

Also, since you said you try to educate yourself on ceratin issues, I will help you with the warrenty. (Just in case you decided not read it beacuse you have, owned your Mach soooo long....

Please check pages 7 and 8 in your booklet if you still have it. If you don't, let me know and I can fax you a copy so you can be educated when you go to the dealership for your warrenty work.
I hope Ford resolves your problem.
If you are nice to your mustang & drive it easy it will perform fine....its a street car not a track car& street racing is not a good idea
fomoco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #59
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Re: Evil 2nd to 3rd gear Tremec problem

^^^^^
LOL

I always appreciated the posts from GoLions. He was the first one to my knowledge who posted the info about the factory overfill issue with the Tremec 3650 and a solution (which I performed myself) that's still working today.

Oh, and GO LIONS!!!
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote