2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
cascade202

Cleveland won't start

My 1970 351C in a MACH1 used to run and start perfectly but now won't restart after its warmed up-it goes dead and doesn't even sputter. It has spark, is timed correctly (10 BFT), has good fuel pressure, choke works properly and I can't find any vacuum leaks. It has a new coil and original Ford distributor.
I replaced the 4 barrel Holley with a Edelbrock Performer but nothing changed -it starts runs warms up and won't restart. This means its an ignition problem but how can it be an ignition probem if I have spark and the timing is correct?
I need help with this one. Any sugestions?
cascade202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Re: Cleveland won't start

You could have a cracked coil (even though it is new) that works fine when cold, but expands with heat and shorts out. You say you have a new coil, was it replaced before the problem occurred or after?

Is there spark after it's warmed up? If you have spark fuel and air, it should at least sputter or cough when turned over.

Once it has gone dead, have you tried using starting fluid to eliminate any possibilty of fuel problems?
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote