2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
03BumbleBee

All your eggs in one Basket

Just read an article that Ford pretty much said they are getting out of the car business. They were laying out their strategy for the 2020 product line up and said that 90 percent of their production will be Trucks, SUV's and Commercial vehicles. Only cars mentioned to continue were the Focus, to be made in China and the Mustang.

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Re: All your eggs in one Basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
Just read an article that Ford pretty much said they are getting out of the car business. They were laying out their strategy for the 2020 product line up and said that 90 percent of their production will be Trucks, SUV's and Commercial vehicles. Only cars mentioned to continue were the Focus, to be made in China and the Mustang.
That's what happens when you let bean counters run a business instead of letting business savvy individuals run the show. Accountants are needed to make sure the money is accounted for and where it's coming from and where it's going to. They should NOT run business's.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

They’re not the only ones cutting way back on mid and full size cars

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
AlloyPony

Now that fuel prices are headed back up toward $4.00/gallon...we'll see how long this "plan" lasts. I paid $3.30 this past weekend and that was at the cheapest gas station I found.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
bris09

The current business model is to only deal in high margin products with very short ROI times. My company has taken the approach that if the product doesn't completely pay for itself in less than 2 years, they have no interest in developing it. My division is a niche market, with less than 10 US companies suppling one side and only 4 on the other side. Sales volumes are not big enough facing it takes a year to year and a half to develop a new product. That leaves 6 month for it to pay for itself. Companies have forgotten it takes money to make money and you have to invest in R&D or the market will pass you by.

With the number of Fusions on the road it is hard to believe Ford isn't making money on them.

Just the drop in fleet sales of the cars alone is going to be brutal. The fleet companies aren't going to just start buying Ford SUVs, COVs, and trucks. They'll just buy cars from another manufacturer.

I will more than likely go back to Dodge and buy a Charger although I wasn't happy to hear they are discontinuing the Hemi engine line.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
bris09

One a side note. If the fuel mileage standard gets put back in place, I wonder what Ford's plan is. The cars have the mileage to bring the company average up. With their proposed product line, they will be screwed.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
One a side note. If the fuel mileage standard gets put back in place, I wonder what Ford's plan is. The cars have the mileage to bring the company average up. With their proposed product line, they will be screwed.
that'd be another electric-hybrid SUV.
what name were they going to give to it?... I seem to recall reading a few things recently.
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #8
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Now I almost feel guilty about posting stuff like this for April Fools days...
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ht=april+fools

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #9
03BumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Now I almost feel guilty about posting stuff like this for April Fools days...
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ht=april+fools

I think it is sad, instead of making their cars more competitive and fixing issues like the Fiesta/Focus tranny problems. Ford blames it all on declining demand for cars. People who want cars are going to buy even more Toyotas and Hondas, and Ford if they reverse their production back to cars will be screwed.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #10
69GT

If Ford was making enough money on them they wouldn't get rid of them. Gas is still cheap enough here that people get less efficient SUVs and crossovers instead of Focus, Fiesta, Fusion. Market is just too competitive.
The screwed part is Ford is now going to be even more dependent on the 25% tariff on import trucks remaining in place. There is no such tariff on import cars.

On a lighter note You can get a new Fiesta ST for under $18K in a lot of places. Working on my wife to replace the old Corolla
69GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
03BumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT View Post
If Ford was making enough money on them they wouldn't get rid of them. Gas is still cheap enough here that people get less efficient SUVs and crossovers instead of Focus, Fiesta, Fusion. Market is just too competitive.
The screwed part is Ford is now going to be even more dependent on the 25% tariff on import trucks remaining in place. There is no such tariff on import cars.

On a lighter note You can get a new Fiesta ST for under $18K in a lot of places. Working on my wife to replace the old Corolla
I really like the Fiesta ST, fun little car all the way around. I do agree with you that sedans are a very competitive market, even more reason Ford should have cleaned up their reliability issues with the double clutch transmissions. Bad news travel very fast these day's,oh well time will tell.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Waylander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
sort of - Ford Europe will still produce sedans and hatchbacks. If there's a change in the current US market tastes there'll be a ready supply of compacts and sub-compacts without too much trouble.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
03BumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
sort of - Ford Europe will still produce sedans and hatchbacks. If there's a change in the current US market tastes there'll be a ready supply of compacts and sub-compacts without too much trouble.
You are probably correct, but I am not sure their cars meet US standards for safety. If that is the case, Ford will still have to retool. In the end we still have our beloved Mach's

Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #14
73mach03

Judging by the volume of trucks and SUVs I see in my area, they are apparently going with the market. Not that I agree with it and maybe in warmer weather states it is different.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
jbrad88
Original Owner

Its too bad they are doing this. Makes me want to get a focus st before they are gone...don't need it, but a really good little car from what i understand.

We drive the fusion at work (fleet), and I have one personally as well. It is a great car.

If the sedan market is truly drying up for Ford, i guess i can understand the decision. Although by the number of fusions on the street you would guess it is selling pretty well..

Focus and Fiesta have been on the decline for a while now. and with their transmission issues and Ford's relative lack of response in fixing the problem, I think they wrote those two off a few years back...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines