2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
MyMustang

What would you do???

With 10,000$..Kinda a hypothetical question but just was wondering what would be the best way to spend 10k... I mean like along small business lines etc. (really not met to be on car stuff, not unless it will generate more $$!)
MyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
yzingerslinger

Money markets or put 2500 dollars a year into a Roth IRA account.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
jpilone
Uncertified Gynocologist

Re: What would you do???

Two Words: Las Vegas
jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilone View Post
Two Words: Las Vegas
Flush Toilet.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Genghis Mach
Love at first sight

Fix my roof.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
GR8 WYT

bullets, beans, guns, precious metals.

ALL guranteed to rise in cost over the next 6-12 months. Trust me...

Stay away from stock market, bonds, mutual funds, etc.

If'n it were me....$5k in silver American Eagles, $5k in .22 ammo (the currency of the future)
Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I'd put $7,500 toward my mortgage, and spend $2,500 on a couple new tv's and some wall pictures or paintings.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
4a7191a

fix my roof too. lol buy more silver with the leftovers

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
acreature
You are freaking out....

Ecstasy and Rubbers.

j/k

2003 Azure A/T - JLT RAI - 90mm Pro-M MAF - Bassani mid-length headers - Bassani SS O/R-X - Magnaflow SS C/B - FRPP 4.10s - Ported Lower Intake
PHP 3/8" Intake Spacer - PI Stallion 3000 stall - Meziere EWP - SCT Xcal2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - MM CC Plates - 314/324 rwhp/tq - Meter4it Chase Sequentials - MRT Hood Strut Kit
acreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
rsnider

Google Dave Ramsey.
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
MyMustang

Well some good advice there haha.... Deffinately no Vegas i don't have good luck... But I've pretty much been into purchasing gold for a while now but a lot of people say silver is good investment....Any more ideas?!?!?? I have alot of carpentry experience from trim to house framework... I was thinking about maybe building fish and qui ponds (don't know if i spelled that right) but those are popular in FL. I just want to start small business... I even considered sand blasting and powder coating. That "going green" thing is popular also..All advice is much appreciated, Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
rsnider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMustang View Post
Well some good advice there haha.... Deffinately no Vegas i don't have good luck... But I've pretty much been into purchasing gold for a while now but a lot of people say silver is good investment....Any more ideas?!?!?? I have alot of carpentry experience from trim to house framework... I was thinking about maybe building fish and qui ponds (don't know if i spelled that right) but those are popular in FL. I just want to start small business... I even considered sand blasting and powder coating. That "going green" thing is popular also..All advice is much appreciated, Thanks!
Re: Gold and Silver... Read up on China's purchase of a couple hundred tons of silver. It is effecting the silver market.

Re: koi ponds... I've built three koi ponds and have raised koi for over fifteen years. PM me for my email addres if you decide to pursue.

Re: Sand blasting... the EPA has slapped a lot of regulations on the process. Silica sand is a big no no now. There are other medias that are used. On the other hand powder coating is really popular in a lot of manufacturing. Be prepared for high energy bills. Those large ovens eat up a lot of $$.

Isn't it interesting that there is so much thought that goes into the simple use of $10k. Imagine how much stress there must be if your personal finances are worth big money.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
acreature
You are freaking out....

Hell, being in Florida; pressure washing those large tile roofs would be a handy business.

2003 Azure A/T - JLT RAI - 90mm Pro-M MAF - Bassani mid-length headers - Bassani SS O/R-X - Magnaflow SS C/B - FRPP 4.10s - Ported Lower Intake
PHP 3/8" Intake Spacer - PI Stallion 3000 stall - Meziere EWP - SCT Xcal2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - MM CC Plates - 314/324 rwhp/tq - Meter4it Chase Sequentials - MRT Hood Strut Kit
acreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
rsnider

I've always been attracted to small businesses with a lot of control over where/when the hours could control your life. It's also attractive to have very little capital investment at start-up. The roof washing idea sounds good.

Arizona has small business groups of retired owners that mentor. Call your Registrar of Contractors and see if they can give you a contact of such a group. They are VERY helpful. They also have a proven track record.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
MyMustang

I looked for something similar to the registrar in FLA but no luck...anymore ideas beside pressure washing that's one I'm keeping in mind...I thought about fish ponds..also I'm one he'll of a carpenter. So ideas please!!! I'm ready to do my own thing!!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
rsnider

With all of the retired business owners in Fla. there MUST be a group that you can contact? Keep looking, they are your best bet.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
rsnider

My wife just told me that she thinks the acronym is something like S.C.O.R.E.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #18
01SteedaGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMustang View Post
I looked for something similar to the registrar in FLA but no luck...anymore ideas beside pressure washing that's one I'm keeping in mind...I thought about fish ponds..also I'm one he'll of a carpenter. So ideas please!!! I'm ready to do my own thing!!!!
What's your background in? I know you say you are a very good carpenter but has that just been a side job/hobby or have you done it professionally? The reason I ask is that there is a huge difference between doing something on the side or as a hobby compared to doing full-time and being self-employed.

What is your family life like? Do you have their support? This is going to take a lot more of your time, money, and resources. If you are looking to start something for $10k, then plan on spending atleast $20k. Rarely do start-ups begin generating money immediately. So, take that into consideration as well. Can you afford to live with little to no income for the next few months... or the next year... These are all risks to consider in owning your own business.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just simply playing devil's advocate. I work quite a bit with entrepreneurs and people looking to start their own business, as well as, current business owners. Have you thought about buying a business in your area that already has a customer base, reputation, equipment/supplies, employees, etc.? Granted it would be more $10k but it is a buyer's market right now and just like anything else, there are deals to be found on current businesses.

I apologize for the long response, but I too would love to have my own business one day, but given my current financial and family situation, it is out of the cards at the moment.

Give us some more information regarding your background and previous experiences & contacts, and maybe it will spark another idea to think about.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

in orlando the advisory groups are frun by the SBDC - small business development center, not sure if theres one up there or not

I guess we need to know what you want to accomplish...are you like semi-retired and want to do some side work or trying to build a big dollar company?

My concern with your ideas so far, especially in this economy, is that they are all discretionary income based. When times get tough, luxury items go first and then down the list. My family is in the commercial trash/recycling business, while in times like these theres less trash to pickup but there will ALWAYS be trash and people MUST have the service

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
01SteedaGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
in orlando the advisory groups are frun by the SBDC - small business development center, not sure if theres one up there or not

I guess we need to know what you want to accomplish...are you like semi-retired and want to do some side work or trying to build a big dollar company?

My concern with your ideas so far, especially in this economy, is that they are all discretionary income based. When times get tough, luxury items go first and then down the list. My family is in the commercial trash/recycling business, while in times like these theres less trash to pickup but there will ALWAYS be trash and people MUST have the service
+1 Very good comments here. Knowing what you want to accomplish is the first step.

Trash/Recycling Centers in our area are booming. We have quite a few buyers who are ready to pull the trigger on one.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #21
MyMustang

Deffinately some good advice and stuff to look into I deff app it. As far as my carpentry experience it's all professional (residential housing, porches etc.,including punchout). Prior to being of age to work, my grandpa owned a small wood shop, so a couple years of furniture and fine trim work. As far as being semi retired it's quite opposite I'm lookin to retire from the business I start! I'm only 24. My family backs my choice but financially it's just me. I currently own a small business where I'll by and refine gold but I don't have a store front. I kno that there's so much competition in it that I don't feel like opening a store front. It's generated some money but nothing major. Just took while to save the money I want to spend it right. Lets call it 15k if that wi change things a little!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #22
Shane@TM
Toledo Mustangs

ford stock is in the low 10's, buy that **** before it gets back to 15. profit $$$$
CRT PERFORMANCE TUNED
Shane@TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
NastyNate

OP im kinda in te same boat as you ... Ille be getting 30k at the end of Sept. im gonna use 10k to pay off my debt and prolly 10k toward the mach. Im think about buy 10+ acres out here in Nor cal or possible investing the last 10 in mutual fund or other investment. I dont have the slightest clue about safe investing... and pros out there
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
TEXASDSGMACH1
LS WHO?

Cocaine off a hookers ***.
00 GT with a 4v

Sold, but still in the family
03 DSG Mach

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
TEXASDSGMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #25
MyMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
OP im kinda in te same boat as you ... Ille be getting 30k at the end of Sept. im gonna use 10k to pay off my debt and prolly 10k toward the mach. Im think about buy 10+ acres out here in Nor cal or possible investing the last 10 in mutual fund or other investment. I dont have the slightest clue about safe investing... and pros out there

Are you saying you can get that land for 10k??? That sounds like a good investment to me!

Bail bonds or bounty hunting would be fun. I used to skip trace people for a company and it's real fun to track somone who doesn't want to be found down.