2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 10-14-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Mattstang04

Fuel tank canisters

Hey everybody.

I'm converting the car over to a cobra tank and pumps. Any good tips on getting the blue vapor canisters out of the stock tank without breaking them. I got the ones out of the cobra tank but broke the larger canister to bits. Got me concerned.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Mattstang04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Fuel tank canisters

I didnt have any luck either, ended up just putting in new ones. This stuff is so old and brittle it might not really be doable

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Mattstang04

Does ford even make these things anymore? I know lmr has the small one but the big one, i don't know if its still available.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Mattstang04

I feel since there is likely going to someone else who will put a cobra tank in their car, i should talk about my experience. I have completed the job without cracking or breaking the modules.

I got two sets of the vinyl pry tools from harbor freight, can of pb blaster and my lady's hair drier.

Creep that pb blaster in around the edges of the seal. Try to get in between the canister and the seal. Heat the area of the tank around the canister. Try not to heat the canister itself as much as the area around it. Trying to heat and expand the tank and seal without expanding the canister. Use the thinnest of the vinyl pry tools to wedge between the seal and the canister.

The strongest points on the large canister are under the silo and behind and under the 2 outlets. Don't pry up on the outlets themselves, they're going to break. Repeat heating and lubricant until the vinyl tools start to work the canister up. Be easy on the the pressure with prying tools. Slow and steady. Work your way up the thicker pry tools.

Heat, lubrication, light prying. Over and over and over. It took me an hour to get the big canister out.

The small canister came out pretty easily with lubrication, a little twisting and pulling.