2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Rusty67

IUP instrument lens replacement

The instrument cluster plastic lens on Mach 1 is all jacked up. There are swirl marks on it from the previous owner. It looks like he tried to clean it and forgot to wipe it after putting a spray cleaner on it. I bought a new Ford instrument cluster and then realized mine is silver since I have the IUP and all the ones available from Ford are black. I haven't been able to find the IUP version brand new.

I was thinking about baking the new lens in the over at around 200 degrees to see if I could separate the clear lens from the back backing plate. If that works I could do the same thing to the unit I have in the car now and then bake the 2 good pieces back together. Has anyone tried something like that? Kind of like how ricers bake their headlights to get them apart and clear them back in the day?

Is there a better solution? These lenses look like they are glued together with the backing so I'm somewhat sure I'd have do destroy one half or the other to get a good usable part.
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: IUP instrument lens replacement

look for some of the threads where people changed out the gauge backing or inserted those chrome trim rings. It can be taken apart without destroying anything

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Rusty67

The older instrument clusters were 2 piece and screwed together. The newer ones are 1 piece and bonded with glue. Putting in the chrome trim rings on the newer ones, you have to shimmy the trim rings in sideways and then snap them in place.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty67 View Post
The older instrument clusters were 2 piece and screwed together. The newer ones are 1 piece and bonded with glue. Putting in the chrome trim rings on the newer ones, you have to shimmy the trim rings in sideways and then snap them in place.
well ****, obviously didn't keep up with such thing

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #5
Rusty67

No worries.

If anyone else has done this, let me know. Otherwise I'll probably try it tomorrow and post back the results.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
gfong
Greg Fonger

There are a few people on here right now that are parting out Mach 1's. Send them a message for the cluster or whatever you need. Other then that I would try a junk yard. Good luck in your search.
gfong is offline   Reply With Quote