2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
FL04

Project Mach 1

This vehicle was heading to the junkyard but I wanted to save it. It didn't have a key and no history of the vehicle is available. I was able to get a locksmith to come and make a key/program it to the car. Amazingly it fired up on the first try despite sitting fora long time.

I did notice that the car will not go into reverse, it just wants to grind when i try to shift in reverse. Forward gears work, but the clutch has to go all the way to the floor though. I did not run it long due to old fluids that I need to swap out. The engine did run a bit rough.

As you can see in the pictures, the shaker hood and shaker have been swapped out at some point. Also the gauge cluster had been swapped out to a regular mustang. I was skeptical at first, but it is an r code Vin and the motor appears to be original. It has the Mach 1 interior (needs work).

The car sat for a while and I am guessing due to the the transmission /clutch issue.

Any advice before I take on this project? I was planning on putting new oil and plugs in this weekend to see it makes it happier. I also will do the transmission fluid and rear end fluids (will need further research into what to use)

Looking at the engine compartment, I can see a cold air intake of some type. I am more of a stock guy so I will need to try source out some original equipment if the project seems worthwhile. I just need to look at stock engine compartments and see what is different to help determine what I need.

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6416_small.jpg   IMG_6430_small.jpg   IMG_6421_small.jpg  
FL04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Mike03Mach

Re: Project Mach 1

Why did they take the shaker off! Good luck bringing the car back to life.
Mike03Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
FL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike03Mach View Post
Man I wish I knew. This thing was neglected for sure. It has cherry bomb type mufflers on it too... Ugh
Old 01-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Looks like a fun resto project, but potentially expensive. I'd research the VIN as much as possible for a history, change fluids and plugs, do a compression test, and go from there. Hard to believe it wouldn't be a salvage title with the missing hood and especially gauge cluster.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
FL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyak View Post
Looks like a fun resto project, but potentially expensive. I'd research the VIN as much as possible for a history, change fluids and plugs, do a compression test, and go from there. Hard to believe it wouldn't be a salvage title with the missing hood and especially gauge cluster.

Carfax was good. One minor accident to its right side (I assume the mirror). Clean title. Definitely a mystery mobile but it might be good fun.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
AlloyPony

Only reason I can think of that a person would swap a Mach 1 cluster for a regular GT cluster is to lie about the odometer at some point. What was the last reported mileage on the Carfax report? What does the cluster show now?

This is an interesting project.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
FL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Only reason I can think of that a person would swap a Mach 1 cluster for a regular GT cluster is to lie about the odometer at some point. What was the last reported mileage on the Carfax report? What does the cluster show now?

This is an interesting project.
Carfax had a 2010 entry at 69k when it was titled. No mileage entires until 2014 when it was in a repair facility showing 140948. Mind you this was a month after the right side damage report.

Now it shows 170.8k

Last edited by FL04; 01-31-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
311-420
Can't be bridled

My guess is someone got hard-up for a few bucks and now there's a red GT running around with a Mach 1 hood system and Mach 1 gauge cluster
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #9
FL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
My guess is someone got hard-up for a few bucks and now there's a red GT running around with a Mach 1 hood system and Mach 1 gauge cluster
Very good chance of that.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
thats my thought.

car doesnt look so bad off, Ive seen several shakers available lately (join the m1r facebook group and there are several new edge groups as well with stuff being sold). Also check out MPR - Mustang Parts Reaper on facebook, hes a good dude not sooooo far away. Hes always parting out cars and may have random pieces parts that arent M1 specific if you need them

The JLT is a nice piece and you should be able to run the shaker ducting to it, not so different than stock imho.

When you change all the fluids I would also check for an aftermarket clutch adjuster and quadrant. If it's stock there is still a procedure to try and take up some slack in the cable. Also you might want to look up the "secret sauce" recipe for the trans. I believe it was just replacing a quart of tranny fluid with lucas tranny fix or something like that but I ditched the stock trans long ago so Im a little foggy on that one.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
FL04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
thats my thought.

car doesnt look so bad off, Ive seen several shakers available lately (join the m1r facebook group and there are several new edge groups as well with stuff being sold). Also check out MPR - Mustang Parts Reaper on facebook, hes a good dude not sooooo far away. Hes always parting out cars and may have random pieces parts that arent M1 specific if you need them

The JLT is a nice piece and you should be able to run the shaker ducting to it, not so different than stock imho.

When you change all the fluids I would also check for an aftermarket clutch adjuster and quadrant. If it's stock there is still a procedure to try and take up some slack in the cable. Also you might want to look up the "secret sauce" recipe for the trans. I believe it was just replacing a quart of tranny fluid with lucas tranny fix or something like that but I ditched the stock trans long ago so Im a little foggy on that one.

It's funny you mentioned that. This afternoon I was researching the secret sauce and the Lucas quart plus the debated fluid, plus the debated quantity. I was getting all kinds of confused. 3.2 quarts? one of which being the lucas. I'll need to research it some more.

I joined the Mach 1 group on FB but I'll look up the reaper you mentioned.

It seems ebay has had a few shaker setups. I just need to figure out what parts are missing. Besides the shaker, it looks like a seal, some type of bracket, and a couple plastic tubes. This stuff will be low priority for now since I know the hood will be very hard to find.

I just want to get to move in both directions, then I'll see if it will stop ok. LOL
Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

theres a bracket that goes across the rear of the intake lid and a bracket that mounts to the front of the motor for the shaker. Theres the trim piece that goes between the 2 halves of the shaker, 2 drain hoses and the plastic ducting is either 2 or 3 sections.

but ya, moving, stopping...all higher priorities lol

Old 02-01-2018, 06:35 PM   #13
FL04

Found some time to work on the plugs. All looked good except for this little guy. LOL. This car is full of surprises.
Attached Thumbnails
plug.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Wtf. Hope it’s not in the cylinder

Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #15
AlloyPony

Dumb question, but if the rest of that plug is down in the cylinder, could he manually turn the crank to get that piston up to the top and then use one of those magnets on a stick to retrieve the debris? Would that work and keep him from having to take the head off?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
j rick kirby

Quote:
Dumb question, but if the rest of that plug is down in the cylinder, could he manually turn the crank to get that piston up to the top and then use one of those magnets on a stick to retrieve the debris? Would that work and keep him from having to take the head off?
Probably don't even need to turn the motor over. The magnet that I have will probably reach the bottom of the stroke.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
kind of a moot point, if the rest of that plug is in the cylinder you can just stick your hand in and get it when you tear it down because its gonna be ****ed if it was run like that

Old 02-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #18
311-420
Can't be bridled

Have you found any signs that this car may have had a bottle on it? Unless that was a manufacturer defect or somebody dropped it before installing it, it would take quite an environment to knock that out.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #19
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike03Mach View Post

It’s a guess, but I’m thinking they sold it. If so, it was probably a quick, good chuck of cash.

IG: @ab_mach1
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
FL04

Quote:
Have you found any signs that this car may have had a bottle on it? Unless that was a manufacturer defect or somebody dropped it before installing it, it would take quite an environment to knock that out.
Have not seen any evidence of nitrous. Only non stock thing I see is the power wire for a an amplifier which is no longer present (or a radio lol) While cleaning the car out, I found a random old spark plug in the center console. Must have been fighting with it.

As for the selling off of the mach1 stuff, I believe it. The way this car was neglected, someone probably took the cash. Even the Mach1 shift knob is gone and replaced with standard. I'm just surprised the seats (although they need work) and the the Mach1 wheels (again not perfect) didn't get swapped out too...

Working all weekend so no time to work on it until a few days from now.

Thanks for everyone'e comments!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
RLWPA

Wow, you have quite a project, but sounds like you are willing to save the car, and that's neat!
RLWPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #22
AlloyPony

That's Dark Shadow Grey, right? One of the guys in our group has a DSG '04 GT and when we go to the car shows his car is the one everybody flocks to. People love that color. It does look great. I look forward to seeing pics of this car when you're finished.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #23
lady_in_red

Hey @FL04, I have the stock air intake setup if you would like to trade for the one you have on their now. I even have the part that connects from the intake back to the shaker. I'm in Orlando and could meet you somewhere. Please email me if interested josephcamacho92@gmail.com as I don't log on here often anymore.
lady_in_red is offline   Reply With Quote