2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
MachOneThis

Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!!

Cams, springs and retainers all done. Car sounds good - revs quicker. Just need to get chip re-done to add more fuel. Springs a must in my fathers opinion - he did the install. Stock springs very weak and near coil bind with FR500 Cams. Even without coil bind - they are too weak to support high rpms without some float. Will be a week or 2 before I go to track again - off to Florida.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/MOV00026.MPG

I have another problem left over from last time to track. Our track shuts down for the winter - saw no need to work on it until now. When I ran the 12.17 - car died on the 3-4 shift - also died on 2-3 shift earlier that day - would have been a great pass. It is electrical - will replace battery - if that does not do it - replace the computer. Gauges peg out every now and then as well - all started the last TNT day.
MachOneThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
WhiteTXMach
300+ N/A rwhp Club

Re: Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!!

Get that badboy on a dyno and get some track numbers!
459 rwhp/ 597 rwtq (N20)
WhiteTXMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
mustangmike2003

What did the cams cost you??

Blown Motor Mod
mustangmike2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
MachOneThis

$1100, but kit not perfect for those who are not rebuilding heads. The springs that come with kit require you use the valves that come in kit. Valves are same length, but lock grooves are higher than stock. I had to buy Comp Cams springs and retainers to work with stock groove valves. I have someone buying the springs and valves out of the kit, but looks like I'll still be out about $1100 for cam and springs - not bad if you shop around.

Not sure if Ford Racing will sell cams separately, but that would be the way to go. Then buy your own springs from Comp Cams.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
TheBlkMach1
Cobra killer.

Good luck with the cams. I'll be awaiting some track results.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #6
MACH & ROLL
Gone but not forgotten

Sounds good!!!

03 Mach 1
VIN# 349977
White Auto with IUP
Built 11/22/02
Sold 9/1/07
MACH & ROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
MachOneThis

I will post track times after I get the tune right.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #8
SHKR281
USCG

What are the specs of those cams been looking forever cant find them. Either thoose or stag2 comps going in my pony. I think.... the procharger caught my eyes to got to deciede. Nice car though sounds great.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
SHKR281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #9
MattN03
03RCODE

Can't wait to hear the car in person MachOneThis. Are you going to take it to Dynospeed Racing and them tune the car with SCT software?
Sold 10/3/12
MattN03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
MachOneThis

Matt -

I would like to talk to them about what they offer. Will get an air/fuel reading today to see how far off with current tune.

Cam specs: lift .480, intake duration 258°, exhaust duration 254°, 109° center line. Those duration numbers are advertised; at .050 duration is down around 214/204. Great for Mach stock intake - any more could do more harm than good performance wise.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:11 PM   #11
MachOneThis

Some install info for those who want to know. Sorry -I just could not write a step by step without writing a book.

This pic is of air tool in spark plug hole. Used 100psi of pressure to hold up valves while changing springs. I made the air tool - common parts - the 14mm spark plug end was purchased from a parts store in the help section - it is a 14mm oil foul adapter.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/air.jpg

Misc pictures of how I marked the sprockets. If you put the mark on crank sprocket at 6:00 o'clock then the cams sprockets marks go at 12:00 o'clock in relationship to valve cover surface. No marks needed if using the 6 & 12 o'clock method. Marking the sprockets before pulling can actually keep you from having to care about where everything is located. Be sure to mark both long chains at the 6 o'clock spot on crank gear. I cleaned all the gears with paint thinner so paint would stick. You will notice that I did not mark the large sprocket (green paint) at twelve o'clock. I marked the chain and sprocket using the timing mark on sprocket from factory. That is where that mark ends up if you have the crank sprocket at 6:00 o'clock and the cams at 12:00 o'clock.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/sprockets.jpg
http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/sprockets1.jpg

Tensioner on long chains is mostly hydraulic - after removing, you can use a c clamp to compress - that removes all the oil and will reinstall by hand without clamp or locking in place.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/tensioner.jpg

Tensioner on small chains have a small hole that allows you to insert something to hold compressed. I used a c clamp to compress then inserted a small allen wrench. I did not remove these tensioners from motor.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/tenlock.jpg

Tools I used to install valve springs - takes a lot of patience. Valve locks have to be put in with telescopic magnet while compressing spring with one hand. Walk away every now and then and come back. The pick tool help me position locks. You will notice that I picture both 2V and 4V spring tools - the 2V tool actually did the exhaust easier than the 4V tool. 2V tool will not do intake springs. If you don't want to buy both tools - buy the 4V tool. I figured I would buy both and sell after the job - probably get most of my money back - they are somewhat expensive - $200 for both.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/tools.jpg

I found no 4V articles online where anyone installed springs with heads on car. I did find one where someone did it on a 2V motor - a lot easier and half as many parts.

Many have had trouble getting the brake booster off the firewall. There is one nut on the bottom left on the firewall. Long extension and a knuckle joint works great. There are three nuts inside under the dash - top left hardest one. I removed the electric switch which revealed the 4th bolt. The switch is easy to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers on the back side of switch.

Passenger side valve cover - remove heater lines from firewall - was able to press locks and remove by hand with no special tools. Remove fuel line - plastic fuel line tool does that job. Loosen the fuel rail - I did not remove, but would have helped some.

Many put rockers on new cams before bolting cams in place. I did it the hard way and I think the best way. I bolted the cams in place and used spring tool to put them back on - slow, but no chance of breaking a cap. If you do put all the rockers in place on the cams and bolt caps on - tighten all the caps in very small even increments bringing them down slowing to prevent breaking a cap.

I did buy all new gaskets - about $35 for front cover and valve covers. Just could not see risking an oil leak after all that work. Used a small spot of black rtv wear heads meet block and where timing cover meets heads. Ford does the same thing - you will see where they used rtv. I also put a very small bead on oil pan gasket to be sure no problems.

Hardest Part of the job:

No doubt - valve springs

Other than that - just getting the valve covers off and leaving enough room to work on springs. Exhaust springs are the hardest since they are at the bottom. No shortcuts if you plan on doing the springs - brake booster does need to come off - some just loosen enough to get covers off - will be in the way of getting to springs. I would not do a cam swap without springs - the stockers are very weak which could hurt high rpm horsepower.

I did remove the water pump - we have the electric pump and was in the way of front cover. Stock water pump does not have to be removed. Also removed the water resorvoir tank and electric fan. Fan probably could stay - I just wanted all the room I could get for balancer removal.

I would not install cams unless you have headers and free flowing exhaust. Cams can actually hurt performance with stock exhaust.

I have seen articles where people say our heads do not benefit from cams without porting - bull. I have never seen a head on a flow bench that it did not flow more with higher lift than stock and that is true for the Mach heads. You will make more power - it's just a question of how much. Things that might make the install show no gains - improper install - poor exhaust system - failure to re-tune for proper air/fuel. If a motor is on the rich side before install - you might be dead on after the install with no tune, but needs to be checked. Remember - cams put more air into motor - more fuel is also needed.

Important Note About 4V Cams

All four cams are different. There is a right and left intake and exhuast cam. You must keep up with which one you pull and match to correct new cam. I did not see any markings on the new cam stating what they were. I just pulled one out of the motor and layed it on a counter top side by side with a new one. You have to match them up by lobe placement - easy to do and they differ enought to keep from getting confused. Some brands mark them for you, but I would still lay side by side to make sure.

For the very technically minded:

Degreeing the cams - a degree wheel and a dial indicator is needed. Top dead center is very easy since sparkplug right over top of piston. Other than checking - I would not degree unless I found a huge error in one of the cams or sprockets. To properly degree all four cams - you may need multi indexed sprockets for the four cams and the crank. I could not find anyone who sells the indexed sprockets. This is one reason I chose Ford cams - they are pretty close. Keep in mind that these motors over a period of time will retard the cams as the long chains wear - not much, but will occur. Stock sprockets can have new indexed slots cut by a machinist - be sure to check his work.

Last edited by MachOneThis; 03-07-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
KissmyAZZure

Awesome!! You've given hope to those that don't want to get blown!

04' Azure (5-speed IUP)
"Born" 10-2-03

Insta--- @efabulous
Custom build underway! #bluemach
KissmyAZZure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
Yellowshaker
Shakin' up the Streets

I've been thinking about going witht he comp cams. I was wondering how long the install took.
Yellowshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

MachOneThis,

Nice job on the cam install, it sounds good!!!!!

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
MachOneThis

Thanks everyone -

Checked the air fuel and it was 13.5 under wide open throttle up to about 5000 - did not take it higher. Would like to get it down in th 12.6 rqange. I might run it like it sits - 13.5 a little lean but should not hurt anything. My chip has a lower setting that is 1% richer - if I run without getting the chip reflashed - I'll probably use that lower setting. The lower setting only adds 2 degrees of timing - would like more, but will have to wait for reflash.

A 4th gear punch on the expressway from about 3000 is how I took the a/f readings. I have an onboard wideband A/F digital setup on the car. Seat of the pants felt a lot stronger than stock cams in 4th gear. 4th gear was where we wanted to get most of our improvement since we are running a 4.56 gear - we are in 4th before the 1/8 mile mark.

Need to have axle tubes welded this week and see about getting the chip richened up. Chip company is out of town - that is why I may run it as is - I was not going to run if a/f was 14.00 or higher. I'll try to get to the track this week.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowshaker
I've been thinking about going witht he comp cams. I was wondering how long the install took.
I would allow 3 days for cam and springs so you can work leisurely but steady. I stopped every now and then just to get a rest and clean up my work space. Cams without springs could be done in 1 - 1½ days leisurely. The springs really slowed down the amount of time needed.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #17
TheBlkMach1
Cobra killer.

Wow! I don't know how i missed your sound clip, but the car sounds SWEET!! I think hearing that has convinced me to buy cams for my car (when i get it running again that is).
Old 03-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #18
rcodemach1

Great write-up. Kinda reminds me of the 'net back in the day.

'03 Mach, Oxford White, 5-spd, Eaton
'03 Mach, Black, automatic (parting out)
'98 GT, 410w, C4, Vortech

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlkMach1
Wow! I don't know how i missed your sound clip, but the car sounds SWEET!! I think hearing that has convinced me to buy cams for my car (when i get it running again that is).
I've been reading about yours - hope it's OK. Yeah - I decided on cams so I can quit trying to get an eleven no more than I go to the track. I think a lot of Mach 1s like yours will obviously run an eleven in the right air at the right track. I think most of the ones that have run an eleven did it with air density that was below sea level. It is easy to check - just need to know date they ran and were then head to Accuweather.com. Weather is relevant - now my goal is to run elevens even on a hot day.

Good luck with yours - let us know what happened - might help us.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #20
MattN03
03RCODE

Interesting reading Johnny. I hope these cams help you get to where you want to be with your Mach! See you at TnT Thursday hopefully!!
Sold 10/3/12
Old 03-08-2005, 11:47 AM   #21
96mach

do you have any #'s? was there a big power difference?
96mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #22
MachOneThis

I am trying to get car ready to run Thursday night.

I have the air fuel close enough to run, but will be running timing a little low. Should be another tenth or so in it after I get the tune closer. I'm just hoping the track conditions will be good enough to compare to pre-install. There is no doubt that it is making more power. Just hoping for traction and no head wind - our track faces north - a lot of north winds still around.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #23
MattN03
03RCODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachOneThis
Just hoping for traction and no head wind - out track faces north - a lot of north winds still around.
You know there is rarely traction at MMP & the weather is looking questionable (30% chance of rain according to the Weatherbug). I hope it's wrong!!
Sold 10/3/12
Old 03-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #24
MachOneThis

Your right Matt - if weather is too questionable, I'll wait until a better day.

I do not understand why a track that nice will not prep for TNT nights. Most of us would pay another $5 entry for a prepped track.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #25
MattN03
03RCODE

I'm going to wait till it's closer before I decide to stay at home. It's just disappointing the weather isn't sounding great. I'm less than .1 seconds from a 12 second pass with only an O/R h-pipe, PHP intake spacer & drop in K&N. I want my 12!!! I've got an updated tune in the Predator & want to see if that can push me over the edge...
Sold 10/3/12