2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
GR8 WYT

J mod/Performance Automatic Valve body issue

I realize this is for the 4r70w...and the automatic Mach 1 had a beefed up 4r75w...but I need help.

I put the Performance Automatic valve body upgrade in my son's 03 GT 4r70w trans. Replaced accumulator springs, etc.

Everything is great, but now we are seeing an issue when crusing with overdrive ON.

When you go to accelerate, the revs jump and it does not down shift. Seems to be getting worse with time.

I did find a thread about needing to re-torque the valve body attaching bolts as they come loose due to the thick gasket on the valve body.

Anyone else have any experience with the J mod on the 4r70w or the Performance Automatic valve body doing the same thing??

Thank god I put on a deep sump alum finned trans pan with a drain plug. The thought of doing this again on my back under the car on jack stands does not thrill me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
GR8 WYT

Re: J mod/Performance Automatic Valve body issue

Followup:

Drained the pan, dropped it, and re-torqued the valve body screws to 10 ft lb.

It fixed the problem. Keep this in mind if you EVER mess with the valve body on a Ford 4r70w. Making sure those bolts stay tight is crucial.