2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: Is NOS for you?
YES, I will put it on my Mach 1! More HP Baby! 132 30.28%
NO, Never, Are you crazy? 204 46.79%
This thread may make up my mind. 100 22.94%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #1
Tomcat427
What a ride it was :)

NOS, yes? no? why? why not?

NOS

Will you put in on your Mach 1?

Why would you?

Why wouldn't you?

Those that have experience with NOS speak up please!!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Tomcat427

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...SNS/Ford2.html
Old 01-23-2003, 11:32 PM   #3
cobrajg
Domers

I am about 80% SC, 20% nitrous. I am going to wait until a few are out there before I make up my mind. 10.1:1 should like the nitrous a lot better then the SC, but we won't know until someone slaps on a kit and puts it to the test.

I like the idea of always having the power, not having to push a button and have a short boost. For the cost, nitrous is the best bang for the buck.
cobrajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #4
RossG

not a problem to run Nitrous(NOT NOS. NOS is a brand! **** Fast and the Furious). Just make sure you get all of the safety equipment and get a good dyno tune.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
Tomcat427

I see lots of "no, never" responses but not any reasons, why??
Old 01-25-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Tomcat427

Here is what I have been told. The new Nitrous systems are safer than ever before. (What else are they going to say?) You have to have the valve on the bottle open, switch on and then have it at WOT to get it to kick in. I guess if you power shift and miss that would be really bad huh?

How about some experiences or opinions for us guys that do not know, or have experience with this.

I watched several cars on the Dyno today that were running nitrous and I did'nt have anyone tell me they regret having it.

Come on with some support of the no answers please.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #7
TRMach1
Once Bitten-Twice Shy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat427
Here is what I have been told. The new Nitrous systems are safer than ever before. (What else are they going to say?) You have to have the valve on the bottle open, switch on and then have it at WOT to get it to kick in. I guess if you power shift and miss that would be really bad huh?

How about some experiences or opinions for us guys that do not know, or have experience with this.

I watched several cars on the Dyno today that were running nitrous and I did'nt have anyone tell me they regret having it.

Come on with some support of the no answers please.
You need to go read the "breaking it in" thread, and then you'll understand why all the no answers. Me personally, I just have a problem with turning a 30k car into a grenade on wheels with only one car payment under my belt.
Mach1Registry.com Member #7
MCA Member #52787
Nice to meet you, my name's Jim

03 Torch Red Mach 1, 5-speed, IUP
Sold on July 21st 2012!

2011 Shelby GT500, Ebony Black, Silver Stripes, 6-speed
550hp 510tq Purchased July 23, 2012!
TRMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #8
FlashBack

I do not want to do anything to possibly damaged this car. If I wanted more HP I would have ponied 6 more g's for a Cobra.

I bought my Mach 1 for what it is, not what it could be with a bunch of mods. But I do understand that some folks are into that and that's fine too, to each his own.

Bottom line.....

Nitrous or SC? Not Me, No Way, No How, not on this car!
FlashBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 01:58 AM   #9
cobrajg
Domers

An SC is the safer way to go, with a good tune you will be safe. Many 99/01 cobra guys have added an SC and have not seen a problem. These engines hold up to a lot more then many give credit to.

Adding NX is just asking for trouble no matter the compression or tune. It is too easy to abuse NX, since it only gives boost when you hit the button, it is hard not to use it all the time. Hit it at the wrong time to many times and you can cause detonation.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:44 AM   #10
Darkhorse

I believe the opposite. Adding a supercharger would not be a good idea at all, in my opinion. These cars have 10.1:1 compression with hypereutectic pistons(which are crap) and the 4.6 is not known for having the strongest rods. The 99/01 Cobra motors have slightly less compression and if you check out sites like corral.net, and svtperformance.com, there are a lot of guys with Cobras with motors that have died from superchargers. I don't care what kind of tune you put on the Mach, that c/r and those pistons and rods will not be in it for the duration, even with a low boost system. There is a reason the 03 Cobra got forged pistons, Manley Rods and an 8.5:1 c/r with only around 8 pounds of boost. It will take more, but durability, along with a few other big factors is the reason Ford didn't go over 10 pounds with that car. If you're looking for your motor to last for years without having to think about a rebuild or dropping the c/r then don't supercharge it.

Nitrous with a good tune, in theory, would be safer I believe. Notice I said in theory. You would have to have the discipline to not use it all the time. If you used it often and put too big of a system on it, you'll kill the motor as well. You can easily hole a piston with that crap. A lot of the guys that supercharge these cars or put nitrous on them are guys who have either the ability or the pocketbook to replace/rebuild motors when and if the time comes. Most that do it know that things can happen and can accept that. Others just don't realize what can happen and don't expect it. That can be from inexperience, taking the wrong advice, or just not knowing what you're doing. You can do either, just be prepared for what can happen. For guys that are looking to keep these cars long term or guys that don't have the desire and/or the money for potential problems that can and probably will come up I definitely wouldn't supercharge or even go nitrous for that matter. As for nitrous, it's like I said above, a good tune,strict discipline, and not going too big may work. I would never put it on my own Mach 1(if I find the darn thing) but with the above factors I just mentioned it would pose a somewhat smaller risk than the supercharger which would be there all the time.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
cobrajg
Domers

As I said in my first post, this car should like NX better. With running a 20-50 shot, the car should handle many hits when used properly. To me, 20-50 is childs play and not worth the time to setup, unless you are running 400 hp/tq already.

With the amount of 99+ Cobras and GTs that I have heard of running 6-8 lbs with an SC and a good tune, I still believe this car will be fine. I know of at least 10-12 Cobras that I have seen at tracks and shows that run an SC and have over 20000 miles and some over 50000 miles on them. Most of those are daily drivers and see the track 6+ times a year. I am sure that there is 1000 more just like them. With our compression being a little higher, we will have a better chance of something going wrong. You always have to be prepared to rebuild if you are adding an SC. I could add one tomorrow and be fine, someone else could add one and have a million problems. It is a risk, one that I think will hold up fine if tuned correctly and not abused. I might be wrong, and if I am proven so I will say that I was wrong. I saw an article that explained what the DOHC can handle, I will try and locate it.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:26 PM   #12
Darkhorse

We can agree to disagree I guess. A nitrous shot that low would be a waste of time and money I agree. You really can't compare supercharged GT's with the Mach 1 as the c/r on a Gt is much lower. Not doubting you or anything but I've been racing my cars and helping friends in racing for years and I've seen little if any 99-above supercharged Cobras with that kind of mileage on them. To be honest I haven't seen more than a handful of n/a 99-up Cobras with 50,000 miles. I also personally know three individuals who grenaded their motors after putting low boost systems on newer Cobras. They all had professional tunes. Getting a good tune is not the only key in protecting a supercharged motor. The c/r ratio, type of piston, rod, and crank are more important and there is a host of other considerations. I tend to keep up with what's going on in racing and I frequent quite a few private forums and there is a strong consensus on supercharging the Mach 1 and the risks involved.

Also, the overwhelming majority of Cobra guys on the forums I participate in who have supercharged have either built custom shortblocks or intend to as the common belief is that the motor will not hold up. The large majority of people on these forums and some public ones have had problems and engine damage from supercharging these cars. I'm not talking about GT's here, just Cobras. I dismiss cases of guys who have done it but have only put on 5-10 thousand miles on since doing it. An example like that can't be cited when speaking about durability. You definitely do not want to go by what guys that own performance shops trying to sell you s/c systems tell you. They are in business to make money and don't warranty your motor after selling you a product for it. If they don't sell, they starve. Of course, they'll always say it's safe and a good tune is all the protection you need. They have to sell to stay in business. I just think it's a big mistake to s/c this motor if someone has long term durability in mind or doesn't have the pocketbook or the ability to repair their motor. The higher c/r you go, the more dangerous it is to add forced induction. The Mach is higher than the Cobra which is higher than the GT. The risk goes up with each car.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:44 AM   #13
Darkhorse

Wht does this thread say there was a reply on 2/9 but when I open it the last reply was on 1/26? Does anyone else's look like this(disregarding the post you are now reading?) I thought maybe it was because of voting in the polls but it won't let me vote so I think the voting was closed. this happened in another thread to me. Am I an idiot or is something wrong?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:44 AM   #14
Mustang Matt
speed freak

Sometimes it says there is a new reply when somebody new just voted. It gives the correct time/date and just uses the name of the last person who replied (to any thread in that section).
Old 02-10-2003, 08:21 PM   #15
Darkhorse

Thanks Matt.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:10 PM   #16
Tomcat427

Any information out yet about the NX direct line nitrous system for our Mustangs? I think it is supposed to work sorta of like the nozzle system by NOS.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:18 PM   #17
Tomcat427

Here is some info from their web page.

Quote:
Part # 20200

NXL Nozzle System
Nitrous Express introduces the NXL nozzle with Integrated Rail Technology. This plug-and-play, direct-port nozzle system is availabe for all four and eight cylinder applications. There is no drilling required, no engine disassembly and no solenoids to mount. The entire nitrous system is self-contained in the high-flow fuel rail.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:45 PM   #18
Tomcat427

I emailed NX to see if they were working on a nitrous kit for the NX using the NXL system, here is the response.

Response:

Thanks for the inquiry. Yes we are working on one right know we should be close to releasing it around the end of march. If you need anything else
please let me know.
msmith@nitrousexpress.com

-----Original Message-----

To: sales@nitrousexpress.com

Source:
Comments: Will you be developing an NXL Nozzle
System for a 2003 Ford Mustand Mach 1?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:33 PM   #19
Jc'S MaCh 1

Nope

Not worth the money, save up for a SC instead much better gains and it's always constant....

Illegal on the streets and a heavy fine if you even carry a bottle.

NOS stands for ( Nitrous Oxyde System)

SC are legal and if done right you can run your 1/4 miles all day without ever running out of PSi's....

Jc
Jc'S MaCh 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #20
loathe
SHAKEN, Not Stirred!

no!

i wouldn't put nos on any car, I would however put a SC if the engine was preped real good. On the other hand, always remember that if you are going to put any kind of power adder, be prepared to pay any future damage cost.
loathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #21
Shaker Dan

I like the idea of Nitrous but still not sold on putting on the car. I think I will go more Super Charger but not positive. Just ask anyone that has blown apart their engine why they do not like Nitrous. It is much safer than it used to be and if used right and not a lot than you should be OK.
Shaker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM   #22
badjoey
former mach1 owner

i vote no just for the simple fact that i've already got the hp and speed to get me in big trouble---i don't race so what reason would i have to put it on the mach1,,,,,none
badjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #23
codymach

I don't think I have the skills to use it properly....I'd put my intake manifold right through the hole in the hood

MODIFICATIONS:
Bassani Mid-Length Ceramic Headers
Bassani X-Pipe with cats SS
Bassani Cat Back SS
Meziere Electric water pump
PHP Intake Spacer
KN Filter
Hurst Retro Shifter, T-handle
Bullitt Fuel Door
Bullitt Anthracite 18x9 wheels
Goodrich g-force T/A KDW
265/40/18's
Hurst Equipped Emblem
Mach 1 I.D. Plate
Shock tower covers
Raised the shaker

2003 Mach 1 Torch Red
1965 Rambler Marlin 287 (Slowest car in the West!)
1951 Mercury (still in the field)
1966 Ford Galaxy 500, 352 cu. in. 4v
1994 F-150 4x4
2001 Focus
codymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #24
1badstang
Former Macher

No, to many risks and variables involved, I'm happy with N/A
Old 03-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #25
richard wilson

Ok here it goes and I hope I don't come across wrong. You guys with the negative attitude about nitrous are totally way out in left feild! Yes n2o was dangerous 15 years ago but now the kits are designed a hell of alot better as long as you don't abuse. Now to the guys who think superchargers are safer or a better power adder for the mach-= YEAH RIGHT! Here are the facts on a mach and sc. Compression is a little high to run any real boost unless you want to aftercool or intercool and run 110 octane or better. Superchargers have absolutely no mercy when everything is not perfect on any high amounts of boost! Yes you can run 7 to 8 pounds of boost all day. But I will crack your azz with n2o. 7 pounds is not going to do it! I have both, a superchraged car and a n2o car so trust me I know. The way to go on these machs is nitrous. Now a turbo would be a great addition with a intercooler and small amounts of boost, turbos are a little easier on mod motors than superchargers. I have used n2o for 15 years and have never lost a motor. I have on the other hand lost 4 motors in my GT. And the Gt was tuned by some of the best. Little bit goes wrong with a charger and before you can blink fried pistons!!!! Don't get me wrong I love my supercharged GT and its nasty but it has cost me alot of money, headaches and a huge learning curve to get it right. Look at my mach, the first time out on n2o and it went 122 mph. Come on guys get some experience with power adders before you just put a post out there.:THUMBSUP: I wouldn't steer you guys in the wrong direction.

Last edited by richard wilson; 03-19-2004 at 03:31 PM.
richard wilson is offline   Reply With Quote