2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
Shadow0415

Weak Coils/engine bogging

Hello everyone,

This may get a tad wordy and not sure if this is better suited for electrical or engine section,

To back track, I am on a re-manufactured longblock with 12k miles and the previous motor had the same ticking sounds and engine mannerisms. This caused me to rule out the head tick or any major engine internal doing. It is a very distinct tick which occurs both warm and cold.

In 4 years, I have not been able to source the tick and have never really seen reason to spend the small fortune to take it into a shop. Searching anything tick related relays me back to the head tick so its been pretty circular. Time to get to the bottom of it.

I recently came across an article which mentioned a failing/soon to fail coil pack could cause a ticking sound because of losses and improper connection/grounding. During my last plug change there was some white or copper-y colored residue on the boots which concerned me despite everyone telling me not to fret.

Lately I have been considering changing out the COPs (Likely with WeaponX street) because of my concerns on the color to make me feel better and test if the coils we causing some other issues within my daily driving routine. I know everyone's opinion on coil packs very well.

Once in a blue moon on the highway, I will feel the engine sputter and "kick" per say. Difficult to explain other than it feels like the engine falls on its face for a brief second. Also, if I were stopped and press down hard on the break, I notice my engine bogs. A similar bogging will happen sometimes if I am coasting down a hill in traffic in neutral.

My question for everyone is if I am on the right track in thinking there is something going on in my electrical system and if there was anything in particular a somewhat mechanically inclined person could do to try and get to the root of the problems. It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Shadow0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
SLO-RIDE

Re: Weak Coils/engine bogging

You could be getting a "ticking" noise from and arc, or spark in your ignition system somewhere. If you can get it in a very dark area out in the country, or in a garage at night with no lights on and look for the arc while it's running, maybe you'll get lucky. Just an idea......I've seen an ignition spark before that makes that ticking noise. Good luck
SLO-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Shadow0415

Re: Weak Coils/engine bogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO-RIDE View Post
You could be getting a "ticking" noise from and arc, or spark in your ignition system somewhere. If you can get it in a very dark area out in the country, or in a garage at night with no lights on and look for the arc while it's running, maybe you'll get lucky. Just an idea......I've seen an ignition spark before that makes that ticking noise. Good luck
I have had a few people recommend this to me so far. Definitely on my to do list now! Hopefully I can see something (or not) from it.

Thanks!
Shadow0415 is offline   Reply With Quote