2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #326
Quixotis
The Hammer of the Gods

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakn
This one, LOL ...seated 2nd from the right. The far left girl is a dispatcher, she photoshopped herself in the pic.
:LAUGH: the dispatcher chick remindes me of the old PBS Electric Company Show - which one of these objects doesn't belong w/the others?

Official Member of M.A.C.H.
Quixotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #327
BurlyStang
ScaryFast

When you guys run radar; i.e., motorcycle police painting laser, or highway patrol flashing KA; what MPH OVER the posted speed limit do you consider the worthy MINIMUM to pull someone over?

Please respond concerning:
(1) in the city on a public street
(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

Thank you in advance for your replies. Cool thread BTW

"I'm your Huckleberry."
It looks tame, but it's not.
BurlyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #328
2k4mach
LuLz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyStang
When you guys run radar; i.e., motorcycle police painting laser, or highway patrol flashing KA; what MPH OVER the posted speed limit do you consider the worthy MINIMUM to pull someone over?

(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

dang nice question, im interested in the reply to this 1
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
03 OW Mach 1 (sitting in a field rotting away)
2k4mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #329
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlyStang

(2) city freeway
(3) interstate highway

Ok, Burly and 2K....(2K, you owe me an email for this - LOL!)....

Most officers who write traffic for a living will probably go 6 MPH over the speed limit (Highway Patrol for example). As a rule here in So Cal, we have a saying - Most self-respecting coppers will not write anything under 12 mph over the limit. Just a guideline for us local coppers who are not traffic cars or motor officers.

And for those that will follow up with the next (usual) question: No, there is no quota. We can write as many as we want! Last cite I wrote was to a guy in an Audi TT who passed me on the freeway (210 at Roxford for you So Cal guys). I was doing 75 in the black and white....he was doing 93 ( I gave him 5 MPH on the cite and only wrote him for 88 MPH.). The only reason I cited him was this: When I asked his passenger why he passed me so fast, the passenger threw the driver under the bus: He said the driver told him that since I was County and not CHP he could pass me at 110 MPH and there is nothing I could do.

We have another saying in Law Enforcement: We only catch the dumb ones.

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #330
BIG4CAM
Finally Bought One

Question: How come when I was younger, and didn't have much money, it seemed like the type of vehicles I drove were more likely to be pulled over than the newer ones I drive now, including my MACH. The cars were never loud or anything, I was never a poor driver, they were just beat up old vehicles. It should be mentioned though that I never recieved a speeding ticket in them, just some misc. warnings for 5 overs, failure to use turn signals, and they always asked about guns, knives, and drugs, which is understandable. Just thought maybe the type of car makes you a suspect?
Roy's Intake, 98 cams, LT's with 3 inch x pipe and spintechs, 4.56 gears

Best ET: 12.157@112.8 1.627 60ft
Best ET street tire: 12.89@110
1997 Mustang GT
4r70w
232rwhp/287tq
2001 P.I. motor swap
The slug Cruiser's best ET 13.89@98.7
1994 Lightning w276k miles
89gt camshaft w/hughes 2400k convertor
14.58@ 91mph 2.0560ft
Rusty but Trusty, still getting down and dirty on the street
BIG4CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:59 AM   #331
2k4mach
LuLz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG4CAM
Question: How come when I was younger, and didn't have much money, it seemed like the type of vehicles I drove were more likely to be pulled over than the newer ones I drive now, including my MACH. The cars were never loud or anything, I was never a poor driver, they were just beat up old vehicles. It should be mentioned though that I never recieved a speeding ticket in them, just some misc. warnings for 5 overs, failure to use turn signals, and they always asked about guns, knives, and drugs, which is understandable. Just thought maybe the type of car makes you a suspect?
ya know its funny you mention this, i can cruise the mach and not have a single cop really take notice, i take my 93 out and bam every cop i go by will whip a u turn and follow me for a while.
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #332
Berzerk
Sporadic Poster

I can't go anywhere in my '71 with out the Boys in Blue following me for a while.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #333
2k4mach
LuLz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU

Most officers who write traffic for a living will probably go 6 MPH over the speed limit (Highway Patrol for example). As a rule here in So Cal, we have a saying - Most self-respecting coppers will not write anything under 12 mph over the limit. Just a guideline for us local coppers who are not traffic cars or motor officers.

And for those that will follow up with the next (usual) question: No, there is no quota. We can write as many as we want! Last cite I wrote was to a guy in an Audi TT who passed me on the freeway (210 at Roxford for you So Cal guys). I was doing 75 in the black and white....he was doing 93 ( I gave him 5 MPH on the cite and only wrote him for 88 MPH.). The only reason I cited him was this: When I asked his passenger why he passed me so fast, the passenger threw the driver under the bus: He said the driver told him that since I was County and not CHP he could pass me at 110 MPH and there is nothing I could do.

shoot me a PM with an email addy and ill hook u up
04 DSG Mach 1 (stolen)
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #334
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU

I have to agree and add one thing: I think alot depends on the flow of traffic. We have 25 mph zones that the traffic moves at 35 towards the busiest bridge in the world, 40 won't get you stopped unless your driving like an idiot. Between the hours of 8AM and 830AM and 230pm and 3pm when the kids are walking to/from school, on that same road, 30 will get you stopped. Those roads are heavily patrolled at those hours also by traffic guys.
Around here, since we have lots of traffic )400,000 vehicles a day go over the GWB) it is very situational. Common sense would have alot to do with this. Drive carefully!!
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #335
kevsrcode

I agree with the above posts. Personally, I usually give 12 in the city, unless it's a school zone and 15 on the freeway before I even think about pulling someone over. I don't think I've ever stopped anyone for under 10.
kevsrcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #336
kopacko

I am 15 over as well, except school and residentials.

2004 Competition Orange Mach1, 5-Speed
Dyno: 299 RWHP | 322 RWTQ (SAE)

BUILD DATE: 03/16/2004
PURCHASED: 05/20/2004
VIN: 1FAFP42RX4F210686
----------------------------------------
Speed of Sound Gauge Pod w/ VDO Gauges
Steed 3-point Front Strut Tower Brace
Steed Rear Shock Tower Brace (Welded)
UPR Off-Road X-Pipe + Steeda Cat-Back
SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #337
Mustanger2

I was told in Oregon that 5-7 over no problem 10 over would get you busted and 11 over the posted was violating the basic speed rule.. much heavier fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #338
kopacko

FYI, 1mph over is probably cause to stop you.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #339
Mustanger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
FYI, 1mph over is probably cause to stop you.

Yeah I know that is true.. but we are not talking about the exact definition of the law here... just about the leeway in the real world. It would take a real idiot doing something bad to get pulled over for 1mph over... or an officer with a problem in my opinion. I guess it could be an excuse to look the car & driver over for more serious violations, thats ok by me.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #340
Mustanger2

New question for our officers... Is a folding Buck knife on your belt considered a concealed weapon? How about if your jacket covered it?

I bought a Buck knife holster recently that holds the knife horizontaly with the blade hooked around a peg so that if you pull it out it will be opened & locked. Sort of a quick draw quick opening deal for Buck knives. I was told it is completely legal but don't feel comfortable wearing it as it might give you officers a real problem. I want to always be law abiding and I am not sure on this issue.

What are your opinions and what does the law in your area say about this? What would you do if you patted me down & found this on me? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:59 AM   #341
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko
I am 15 over as well, except school and residentials.
Same here. I hate dealing with traffic stuff.
streakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #342
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger2
New question for our officers... Is a folding Buck knife on your belt considered a concealed weapon? How about if your jacket covered it?

I bought a Buck knife holster recently that holds the knife horizontaly with the blade hooked around a peg so that if you pull it out it will be opened & locked. Sort of a quick draw quick opening deal for Buck knives. I was told it is completely legal but don't feel comfortable wearing it as it might give you officers a real problem. I want to always be law abiding and I am not sure on this issue.

What are your opinions and what does the law in your area say about this? What would you do if you patted me down & found this on me? Thanks.
In NJ, as long as you have a reason to have it ie: your employment, it is ok. Other wise, nope, cannot carry it around as it is weapon. Oh, just in case somone throws in the 3-4 finger rule, thats horse crap also.
I charged a guy with Robbery once because he had a one inch pen knife in his pocket while he was shoplifting. In NJ, theft plus force or fear is Robbery, and the pen knife was force. Ofcourse he was one of our habitual offenders and we wanted to give him a longer stay at one of our private facilities.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #343
kevsrcode

In Texas, it is legal as long as the blade is shorter than 5 and 1/2 inches. As far as patting you down, before I do a pat down, I always ask the person if they have anything on them that will hurt them or me, like guns, knifes needles, etc. All you'd have to do at that point is tell me, "Officer, I've got a knife in a pouch on my belt." I'd take the knife from you until we were finished with whatever it was I was stopping/patting you down for. Once we were done with the business, I'd give the knife back to you...
Old 03-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #344
Mustanger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode
In Texas, it is legal as long as the blade is shorter than 5 and 1/2 inches. As far as patting you down, before I do a pat down, I always ask the person if they have anything on them that will hurt them or me, like guns, knifes needles, etc. All you'd have to do at that point is tell me, "Officer, I've got a knife in a pouch on my belt." I'd take the knife from you until we were finished with whatever it was I was stopping/patting you down for. Once we were done with the business, I'd give the knife back to you...

Thanks for the good replys officers! NJ, I think it is a bit different in some places out West hopefully. We still have to fight Indians & bears etc. LOL...I'm not sure about Calif. either as it is always a special case.

Anyone from Oregon? I realy do appreciate the answers ...you guys & gals are great.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #345
01TruBluGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvCrash
In NJ, as long as you have a reason to have it ie: your employment, it is ok. Other wise, nope, cannot carry it around as it is weapon.
So what employment would justify carrying a knife? Also if someone was stopped and said he was employed in such a field that required or better yet allowed for carrying a knife how would the officer check it out?

I work in construction. I started in the field and moved my way into the office but I still carry a knife every day as it has become habit. Here there are no problems with it. Once I alsmot walked into court with it, the metal detector cought it and they held it at the security desk for me until I was on my way out.

I am asking as I do go out of town sometimes and wouldn't want to let my habit get me in trouble in another state.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #346
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
So what employment would justify carrying a knife? Also if someone was stopped and said he was employed in such a field that required or better yet allowed for carrying a knife how would the officer check it out?

I work in construction. I started in the field and moved my way into the office but I still carry a knife every day as it has become habit. Here there are no problems with it. Once I alsmot walked into court with it, the metal detector cought it and they held it at the security desk for me until I was on my way out.

I am asking as I do go out of town sometimes and wouldn't want to let my habit get me in trouble in another state.
Your work would allow you to carry the knife. good common sense would rule here as always. If you go ou of town, I would leave it home and avoid any pitfalls.

As fas a checking out the truth to where you work, usually it is easy to tell the truth from horse crap. Besides, it is kinda dumb to bring a knife to a gun fight!!!
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
Old 03-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #347
01TruBluGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MvCrash
Your work would allow you to carry the knife. good common sense would rule here as always. If you go ou of town, I would leave it home and avoid any pitfalls.

As fas a checking out the truth to where you work, usually it is easy to tell the truth from horse crap. Besides, it is kinda dumb to bring a knife to a gun fight!!!

Honestly not trying to be a prick just trying to figure out how things work in different areas.

So if my work allows me to carry a knife then the Police will be ok with me carrying one. If my work dosen't allow it then I could be put in jail for it.

Seems like one of thoes BS laws that aren't enforced unless you have nothing else to get someone on. In other words your average Joe could be toting a knife and noone cares, but if you decide to stop a suspicious looking person and can't really do anything to them, but the unlucky *** has a pocket knife then you can get him on that.

If as you say a knife is illegal to carry in NJ then it should be the same as being allowed to carry a handgun in the fact that you should have to have a liscense to carry it.

As for bringing a knife to a gunfight....well lets just say that in hand to hand combat situations, or when you and the threat are within arms reach of each other a knife is just as, if not more deadly than a gun. Just a thought for you to take on patrol with you, just because you have a gun does not gaurentee you to go home alive.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." - Sun Tzu

Translation: If you know both what you and your enemy are capable of then your chances of winning are great, if you know only your own capabilities and not what your enemy is capable of the chance for defeat is great.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #348
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT
Honestly not trying to be a prick just trying to figure out how things work in different areas.

So if my work allows me to carry a knife then the Police will be ok with me carrying one. If my work dosen't allow it then I could be put in jail for it.

Seems like one of thoes BS laws that aren't enforced unless you have nothing else to get someone on. In other words your average Joe could be toting a knife and noone cares, but if you decide to stop a suspicious looking person and can't really do anything to them, but the unlucky *** has a pocket knife then you can get him on that.

If as you say a knife is illegal to carry in NJ then it should be the same as being allowed to carry a handgun in the fact that you should have to have a liscense to carry it.

As for bringing a knife to a gunfight....well lets just say that in hand to hand combat situations, or when you and the threat are within arms reach of each other a knife is just as, if not more deadly than a gun. Just a thought for you to take on patrol with you, just because you have a gun does not gaurentee you to go home alive.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat." - Sun Tzu

Translation: If you know both what you and your enemy are capable of then your chances of winning are great, if you know only your own capabilities and not what your enemy is capable of the chance for defeat is great.
I understand your thoughts, however I don't write the law. Most times when we came across a "wise guy" with a knife, we just confiscated the thing, not always arresting. The knife was inventoried and put into evidence.
More than likely, if you got arrested, and had a knife on you at the time of your arrest, then you were charged with Poss. of a weapon.

once again, common sense rules. NJ/NY have very strict weapon laws.
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
Old 03-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #349
kevsrcode

In Texas, it's legal for anyone to carry a knife that is not considered "illegal." If it's under 5 and 1/2 inches, isn't a double sided, switch blade, etc. doesn't matter what you do for a living.

As far as knifes in hand to hand combat, we have the 21' rule. If the guy has a knife and is within 21' of you, he can get to you before you can shoot him. So that increases our awareness.

It's still a bad idea to bring a knife to a gunfight though...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #350
kopacko

Didn't they lower the the 21' foot rule to like 18' or 19'?

My Lt, was saying something about it the other day.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension