2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
mgk2

Smoke at startup

A Lot of smoke on engine start up. What can be done? Estimate of cost?
mgk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Zack

Re: Smoke at startup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk2 View Post
A Lot of smoke on engine start up. What can be done? Estimate of cost?
Your valve seals are worn...common problem.

If you had this done by a shop, it would be a staggering bill.

If you did it yourself, the cost would be a few hundred tops but will take you forever with the engine in the car.

Just learn to live with it like everyone else does.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Supra

Ignore it, its not harming your engine by any means. Just check the oil every few weeks
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
OWmach1

or just spend some extra money and get some cams in with the cooling mod.
OWmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Playtime747

Had the same problem with mine when I first bought my Mach.. Had 69,000 on it so I put Mobil 1 5w-30 and think I put a little to much oil in "just above hatch area on dip stick" and it would smoke bad on first start after sitting for a few days. It would not do it all the time, just after sitting over night. It drove me nuts, so I put a oil catch can on the PVC side and still didn't help. I then decided to change the oil again and put Royal Purple 5w-20 and filled it up half way in the hatch area of the dip stick and to my surprise "NO SMOKE" on startup.. Had a buddy check it out the other day after sitting for 3 days had very little smoke with 76,000 now. I know these cars are prone to worn valve guides and thats what I thought was wrong with mine to begin with. I have worked on cars all my life "42 now" and have never seen anything like it. I am sure there is a logical explanation and maybe someone else can chime in... Hope this helps!!!
Playtime747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

My car has been doing that almost since the day I bought it brand new.

2004 Dark Shadow Grey ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!

I USED TO THINK BEING LAZY WAS BAD FOR ME SO I GAVE UP THINKING.

HOOFBEATS ARE LOUDER THAN HEARTBEATS

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
gvervoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime747 View Post
Had the same problem with mine when I first bought my Mach.. Had 69,000 on it so I put Mobil 1 5w-30 and think I put a little to much oil in "just above hatch area on dip stick" and it would smoke bad on first start after sitting for a few days. It would not do it all the time, just after sitting over night. It drove me nuts, so I put a oil catch can on the PVC side and still didn't help. I then decided to change the oil again and put Royal Purple 5w-20 and filled it up half way in the hatch area of the dip stick and to my surprise "NO SMOKE" on startup.. Had a buddy check it out the other day after sitting for 3 days had very little smoke with 76,000 now. I know these cars are prone to worn valve guides and thats what I thought was wrong with mine to begin with. I have worked on cars all my life "42 now" and have never seen anything like it. I am sure there is a logical explanation and maybe someone else can chime in... Hope this helps!!!
Hard to believe that a little less oil made any difference. Perhaps something in the RP caused the seals to swell up a little. I think most of the "high mileage" oils have "seal sweller".
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Petro

I found that my car expels a puff of smoke on the subsequent start up just after moving it a short distance or when I let it idle for a short period of time (example: moving it from the garage to the driveway). So now when I do move it a short distance, I rev the engine a little just before I shut it down and that seems to eliminate the puff of smoke (I guess in my case it could be unused fuel???).
Worse Run out of the 5 passes…13.5211@102.44
TC: 80 degrees @ 64% humidity @ 8:30ish pm (sea level) on 6/02/12
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Playtime747

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
Hard to believe that a little less oil made any difference. Perhaps something in the RP caused the seals to swell up a little. I think most of the "high mileage" oils have "seal sweller".
I did not think the amount should have an effect either Rick and I agree they may have some additive that swells them... The only thing I have read about too much oil is it foaming up do to it coming in contact with the crank "less power".. I know the seals in my 83 gt 302 started seeping oil around 70,000 miles. Many mechanics tell me that ford was famous for putting cheap seals back then.
One of the first things I looked for when I bought it from the dealer was smoke on startup... There was none 'THEN AGAIN DON'T KNOW WHAT WEIGHT OIL THEY USED" Could have been 20w-50 dino...lol I meant to say valve seals in that post because I have no valve train noise what so ever.. Another reason might be going to synthetic oil from dino oil. I know its expensive to keep trying different oils but that what I did. Some say the high mileage oils work good. My goal was to keep the weight of the oil down and use synthetic and not dino oil as long as I can. For those that have a problem just keep an eye on your oil levels and if it blows a little at start but not burning any day to day then I would not worry about it. These do have 4 guides and seals per cylinder so I am sure a little seepage is going to happen. after 3000 miles mine is still sitting in the middle of the cross hatch..
Playtime747 is offline   Reply With Quote