2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 07-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Cooling Issues / Temp Sensor Location?

Hey guys!

I've been having this issue for a while now and it's not horrible, but I'm to the point where I'd like to be able to run AC without the car going over 220.

My coolant temperature sensor is in the metal crossover tube that runs underneath the shaker (from what I understand the point where the coolant is the hottest, before it goes into the radiator)

Could I be getting a "false" hot reading because of where I put the sensor? I think that most people put them in the block.

Yesterday was 86 degrees and the car ran at 210 most of the time I was cruising around. I'm not sure what Tstat is in the car (I need to check) but that shouldn't affect the car staying overly hot, just how long it takes to get up to temperature.

I have not confirmed if my high-speed fan setting is operational or not. I'm not sure if it's something I would hear over the engine/exhaust, the car is pretty loud.

Thoughts on the location vs. temp reading? Accurate mods in signature block; radiator is factory with 98K miles

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Cooling Issues / Temp Sensor Location?

That's the stock location so I don't think thats a problem.

As for the fan, find out from the tuner what your turn on temps are, let it idle up to that temp with the hood up. Once low speed comes on turn on the ac, should be easy to tell when high speed kicks on shortly after

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
That's the stock location so I don't think thats a problem.

As for the fan, find out from the tuner what your turn on temps are, let it idle up to that temp with the hood up. Once low speed comes on turn on the ac, should be easy to tell when high speed kicks on shortly after

So the stock sensor is right below the tube I'm talking about, looks like it's screwed into the front of the block. I drilled a hole in the top of the hard crossover tube, welded a nut on there, and then screwed in the temp sensor.
I guess there is something weird going on with it being in the top, since that part is the highest part of the cooling system.

With the AC on and idling, my coolant temp gauge was reading 228, with an IR temperature gun, the pipe the sensor was screwed into was reading 208, other various hoses were 174 and 191. Nowhere near what my gauge was reading.

With some super fancy scan tool they had up at JPC Racing (out here in MD), they hooked in and saw that my factory coolant temp sensor was reading 204 (while mine was reading 228).

So I need to relocate my coolant temperature sensor because the location it is in right now is apparently giving me a false reading. Where do you guys have your aftermarket sensors installed? Do you just have a T-fitting on the factory location?

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

ok, well with that clarification it does sound like your location could be an issue which is a little weird but anyway...

Im just using an aeroforce and getting coolant temps through the OBD2 so not much help there. i know the older 4 valve cars, maybe it was the B head stuff had a coolant sensor on each crossover tube where it comes out of the block. I think On3 has pictures with their crossover deletes to help people know which kit to order.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Cooldbz12

I have mine connected to the crossover. It will get up to 230 when its hot outside and the a/c on, with it off it stays around 200-210. Been like that for years, never had a problem.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3937.jpg (202.6 KB, 19 views)
(On 10/24/15)
13.2@107 (Bone Stock Run)

2000 3.8 Mustang
Sold But Will Never Be Forgotten
Cooldbz12 is offline   Reply With Quote