2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 04-24-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Hood Decal

Anyone tried these new hood decals? I know the ones from LMR were Graphic-Express, and I read a lot of of, not the right size, shadows etc. I've also read how the NOS Ford stuff is just bubble city. My Mach needs a new hood decal, I really don't want to paint one on as I like the decal look.
Thoughts...?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matte-...ecal-9904.html
Old 04-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
96gt02

Re: Hood Decal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VALVR View Post
Anyone tried these new hood decals? I know the ones from LMR were Graphic-Express, and I read a lot of of, not the right size, shadows etc. I've also read how the NOS Ford stuff is just bubble city. My Mach needs a new hood decal, I really don't want to paint one on as I like the decal look.
Thoughts...?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matte-...ecal-9904.html
i just had mine painted on, same price as a decal an no one would ever notice the difference
JLT Next Gen CAI (fenderwell), VAP 5/8 Plenum Spacer, 10" Ported Short Runner Intake (Roy), Bassani Mid Length Headers, Bassani O/R X Pipe, Mac 3" Catback, March Fluid Dampener, Hydro-boost and WP Pulleys, FRPP Aluminum DS, Ported Throttle Body, 4.10 Gears, 315/35/17's Tuned by Wicked Motorsports
96gt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
DrkShadow

I used the one from graphic express and had no issues.
DrkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkShadow View Post
I used the one from graphic express and had no issues.
Cool, thats exactly the feedback I was looking for. How recently did you purchase the decal?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
jv7

I have an 04 SY had mine painted on glossy all the way to trunk I love the way the glossy looks on yellow. Either way is good.
jv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
TIWWHpodcast

The hood decals on my 2003 Mach-1 are finally starting to come off in small pieces!

It appears that it's already too late to do any repairs to the decals at this point, yes?

Here in late 2017, heading into 2018, what is the best option these days? Who is selling the best replacement decals? Since I'm afraid to try applying the replacement decals myself, what's a rough estimate of what a qualified person/company would charge to do a good job?

Thanks friends!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7329.jpg  
TIWWHpodcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

I just had my hood repainted and I got my stripes from Graphics Express.

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...ch-1-name.html

http://www.graphic-express.com/ford-...tripe-kit.html

I ordered them myself. They arrived in about a week or less. The paint shop put them own. They look great. I would highly recommend.

The paint shop charged $125.00 to put them on but I'm sure it was farmed out to someone else. They also put on the front rocker stripes (the fading Mach 1 stripe). The one in front of the door.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
TIWWHpodcast

Thanks Ron! I'll check those out!
TIWWHpodcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #9
TylerRNEMT

I bought the matte one from American Muscle.... it was excellent quality and looks great, however, it is not the exact same shape as oem or graphic express... you will have a shadow from the factory one visible if you go this route.... my hood was repainted by the PO when I bought it and no new stripe was applied therefore this wasn't an issue for me. I'm very happy with how it turned out. It wouldn't have been if there hadn't been a repaint prior.

-Tyler
TylerRNEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
AlloyPony

My car is currently at the body shop getting the hood painted due to rock chips. I was quoted $400 for OE decal, $250 for aftermarket. I told them to leave the decal off and I'd do it myself since I can buy them for $40 from AM. I wasn't sure, however, if I should buy the black or the matte black decal. Looks like the matte black is what I'm after?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
TylerRNEMT

Sorry for the huge pictures....not sure why the forum doesn't automatically resize those!

As far as the hood stripe goes @AlloyPony.... I would recommend the matte over the gloss, but this would be personal preference. The side stripes, spoiler, and chin spoiler from the factory are all more a satin or matte than a gloss so I feel a gloss stripe on the hood would be out of place. Definitely do it yourself for the $40 dollar AM one. As long as they're repainting the hood anyway you won't have any issue with outlines or ghosting.

The AM one is slightly narrower in front of the shaker than OEM and was around $40. The Graphic Express one is the same size as OEM as far as I've been told...I think it was around $75. .... Either way you will still be saving a fair amount over letting the body shop do it. It's pretty easy to do as long as you use enough soapy water as a lubricant. This allows you to move it around and get it exactly where you want before squeeching it out from underneath. I learned the hard way not to lean on the original plastic cowl while putting on the strip though :/. Mine was brittle enough from over the years It broke and I had to buy a replacement.

-Tyler
TylerRNEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
AlloyPony

Thank you for the info. It's really helpful.