2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
KissmyAZZure

Bleeding the power steering?

There seems to be an endless forest of nothing as far as information regarding this. As my mach can't seem to stay problem-less for long, I'm having power steering issues. On my last drive, I came down a pretty steep grade, and at the bottom the power steering began too whine like a banshee! I figured maybe an air pocket was created by the steep descent, but it did not work it's way out. When I got home, I jacked the car up and inspected everything. No leaks, no kinked lines, nothing out of the ordinary. I figured the pump just took a poo.

Replaced the pump yesterday and without the car running, turned the wheel about 20 times. Started it up and it began foaming. Shut the car off and again manually turned the wheel a bunch. I repeated this process a half dozen times. The foaming reduced, but it's whining as bad as ever. Is there a trick to bleeding the system that I'm over looking?

04' Azure (5-speed IUP)
"Born" 10-2-03

Insta--- @efabulous
Custom build underway! #bluemach
KissmyAZZure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #2
NastyNate

Re: Bleeding the power steering?

I fired mined up and then turn the wheel side to side....make sure your going alll the way lock to lock.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
KissmyAZZure

Yeah I think something beyond that is going on. Bubbles will not disappear, brake pedal is also affected, it goes too the floor with any pressure and squeals even worse. I'm honestly about done with this car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

04' Azure (5-speed IUP)
"Born" 10-2-03

Insta--- @efabulous
Custom build underway! #bluemach
KissmyAZZure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

hmmmm, wonder if its something with the hydroboost setup then

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:36 AM   #5
USMCWeatherMan

Not necessarily related to your issue (as DSG mentioned) but posting steps I did for anyone else who stumbles along.

When I replaced my steering rack this is the procedure I did (from memory and I'm starting to get old so forgive me if I miss something):

1. With car raised, BEFORE starting, open reservoir and fill to line.
2. Fire care up (best to have a friend do it as the fluid level can drop), put more fluid in as the pump will draw some in from the reservoir after startup.
3. As the car is running you should see bubbles pretty frequently which should taper off and bubbles become smaller. THis could be a few minutes.
4. Once you think most of the bubbles have stopped, WITH front still raised, turn steering wheel from lock to lock a couple of time...DO NOT keep it at the lock for more that a second or so. Just hit it and turn the opposite direction.
5. Check fluid level and fill to line.
6. Lower front wheels on to ground.
7. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock again several times.
8. Check fluid level fill to line.
9. As long as there are no visible leaks, and you dont still see massive amounts of bubbles still....Replace cap, drive car normally, check fluid level every couple of days.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
HAEG
Heppasketties

Found this link online with some info on the hydroboost systems. Maybe it will help.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/oper...ssist-systems/
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
HAEG
Heppasketties

Bleed Technique 1:

1. Replace any hydraulic line showing external damage. Install new seals for all disconnected fittings (as required) and install an in-line power steering filter. Tighten all hose fittings to OE specifications.

2. Flush the entire power steering system using the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended fluid. Fill pump reservoir to the proper level.

3. Disable engine to allow cranking without starting. Block wheels, put transmission in neutral or park and set parking brake, then crank engine 5 to 10 seconds (avoid overheating starter motor).

4. Refill pump reservoir as necessary. Repeat step 3 until level is correct.

5. Enable the engine to allow starting. Start engine and let idle. Slowly turn steering wheel from lock-to-lock a number of times.

6. Turn engine off and inspect fluid level and condition. Add or remove fluid as necessary. If fluid is foaming, wait one hour then recheck level. Repeat step 5 and 6 until fluid level is correct and shows no sign of air problem.

NOTE: Many of you are aware that Ford power steering systems are very prone to air-related problems. The most effective way to remove air in these systems is to apply a vacuum to the power steering pump reservoir. This technique can be used on most power steering systems.
Bleed Technique 2:

1. Remove return line from hydro-boost and plug end with appropriate size plug or bolt.

2. Connect two- to three-foot piece of clear hose to return port on hydro-boost unit. Place end of hose into empty container at least 1 gallon in capacity.

3. Fill power steering pump reservoir with correct fluid.

4. Disable engine to allow cranking without starting. Block wheels, put transmission in neutral or park and set parking brake, then crank engine 5 to 10 seconds (avoid overheating starter motor) while applying and releasing brake pedal slowly.

5. Refill pump reservoir as necessary. Repeat step 4 until no air is seen in return line from hydro-boost.

6. Remove clear hose from return port and reconnect return line from pump.

7. Enable the engine to allow starting. Start engine and let idle. Slowly turn steering wheel from lock to lock a number of times.

8. Turn engine off and inspect fluid level and condition. Add or remove fluid as necessary. If fluid is foaming, wait one hour then recheck level. Repeat step 7 and 8 until fluid level is correct and shows no sign of air problem.

Procedure
Use either of these bleeding procedures whenever replacing or servicing any component in a hydro-boost system. Normal driving conditions will remove air that remains trapped within the system when components are properly installed and there are no flow restrictions in the system. Always refer to the vehicle service manual for specific installation and testing procedures.
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
03Shadow Grey

Thanks Haeg, I wanted to do a system flush on the Power steering but was concerned about the hydro boost being an issue.Now i see its just as easy to do as my last mustang with no HB.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote