2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Installing Manual Fan Override Switch

Hey I'm probably gona race the mach this season finally broken in enough for me 10,000 miles. Just wondering on how to add a radiator fan override switch? While still keeping the normal functionality of the cooling fans when the switch is turned off. Figured after a run I'd blast the heat and turn the fans on while I was headed back to the staging lanes. I really don't like the idea of turning the car off with very hot coolant just laying around at least this way I could cool it a little before shutting it down and opening up the hatch.

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Uloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
YellowMenace

Re: Installing Manual Fan Override Switch

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/499.shtml

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechAppl...fan_switch.pdf

The second one is better IMO. I used to have a link to a version with a picture of the wire in question but I can't find it anymore.
Also, they talk about cutting some insulation off. I used a squeeze connector. There are also now some connectors from posi-lock that can twist and vampire tap the wire. I have used the straight through version and they are really good.

http://www.posi-lock.com/
Old 04-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

thanks for the help

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
MyLittlePony
OG Mach1Misfit

I would do a switch with a light too....just to remind you to turn it off when you leave the car for a length of time.

It would suck to come out and have a dead battery.

I have a freind with a VW Carrado and it has an aux electric water pump
that works with the fan AFTER the car is shut off....it actually circulates the fluid to cool down evenly. THAT would be a slick set up.
MyLittlePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

I found a link with the wire that needs to be tapped figured I'd put it here for anyone else interested in the mod.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/Cooling_Fan...ide_Switch.htm

Old 04-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

http://socalterminators.com/forums/s...&threadid=1597

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post
ummmmmm.................welcome to 2000
You need to follow James's links.
Just put it up so anyone interested would know what the wire looked like and its general location among all the others plus, what's the difference if its old still the same exact process.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
03AV8R
Terrible Dyno Car!

I love my manual fan switch.. Next to the E-W/P itself its prolly the easiest & nicest thing to have sitting there as you fly thru the traps or in the staging lanes.

Axles of Evil Racing

Bolt-On's
All the good ones :PIMP: running 11.17's N/A on the stock factory motor.
Results
Best 1/4 mile 11.174 (Slicks) 11.2's (Quick TP's) 12.072 (17" Street Stocker wheels & tires)
Best MPH 119.22
Best 60' 1.474 (With ET Drags) 1.51 (Quick TP's) 1.8's (17" stockers)
03AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

So if you wire up one of these switches does that mean when it is in the off position that it will not turn on at its designated temp setting. Bascially it becomes totaly dependent upon the switch or will it still work via the temp setting?
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
YellowMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP View Post
So if you wire up one of these switches does that mean when it is in the off position that it will not turn on at its designated temp setting. Bascially it becomes totaly dependent upon the switch or will it still work via the temp setting?
All the switch does is provide ground for a relay that is usually controlled by the computer. When turned ON it bypasses the computer's control and forces the fan on. When turned OFF, it returns control to the computer so the fan will work just like it did before the mod.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Can't go wrong with this mod extremely cheap and easy to do plus you get to have a switch where that stupid coin holder was so you can trick all you friends into thinking you have nitrous.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMenace View Post
All the switch does is provide ground for a relay that is usually controlled by the computer. When turned ON it bypasses the computer's control and forces the fan on. When turned OFF, it returns control to the computer so the fan will work just like it did before the mod.
Well then its a no brainer. I have an extra switch left over from my N20 install. I also have a left over indicator light. Just need to see if I can find room on the armrest switch panel. If not will have to find another spot. My coin holder slot is used for Over drive button so can't use that. Sounds like a weekend project for me. Love this crap.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post
ummmmmm.................welcome to 2000
You need to follow James's links.
This one right?
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/TechAppl...fan_switch.pdf
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Another question. Could you use a lighted swtich. The ones that have 3 poles. They say Power-ACC-Ground. Would that work if I ran a switched 12V source to the power side?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
YellowMenace

I don't know about a lighted switch since they are usually for switching the power side of the circuit, then you run the third pole (for the light) to ground. In this case you're switching the ground side of the circuit. I don't think it'd work. I personally think the light is unneccessary anyway.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

I was thinking about adding a light to my setup using just a regular SPST switch from RadioShack and then having a led light when the fans were turned on. But to add a light the switch has to be a DPST so it can turn two circuits on and off one for the fan and the other for the light but I haven't been able to get my hands on a double pole switch and matches the look and feel of the interior.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
YellowMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uloset View Post
I was thinking about adding a light to my setup using just a regular SPST switch from RadioShack and then having a led light when the fans were turned on. But to add a light the switch has to be a DPST so it can turn two circuits on and off one for the fan and the other for the light but I haven't been able to get my hands on a double pole switch and matches the look and feel of the interior.
If you hooked up a light and a relay in parallel on the SPST switch and the relay controlled the grounding of the green/purple wire, you could get away with that type of switch. Perhaps a little overly complicated but I'm assuming you have found a SPST switch that you like the look of.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Yea found a few SPST's actualy but I'll haven't really looked around for a DPST much so we'll se what happenes but thanks for the idea because I might just go the route.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Going to do this on Saturday. Wish me luck.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #20
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

OK. Got it done. It was pretty easy. Hawk verified that the instructions was talking about the correct wire. His notes below:

"OK, I checked out the schematic for ours, and yes, the wire you want is the Light green with violet stripe, coming off pin 46 of the main PCM connector (C175).

Grounding that wire will engage the high speed fan relay regardless of the PCM signal. So wire a switch from that lead to ground.

You can turn the switch "on" and the fan will run at high speed as long as the ignition is turned to "run". If the switch is "off", the PCM again controls the fan."

It runs just like he says.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #21
hawk
Braderunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Mach150BP View Post
It runs just like he says.
-

Visit my garage on mach1mustang.org for details.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
-
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #23
badappl

I did this mod last weekend, works great. I installed a toggle switch inside the center console arm rest box, on the pass side of the power outlet. I have to raise the center console arm rest to get to the switch but it isnt that big a deal.

Some perddy stuff 'n some go fast stuff 'n some handlin' stuff
badappl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #24
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by badappl View Post
I did this mod last weekend, works great. I installed a toggle switch inside the center console arm rest box, on the pass side of the power outlet. I have to raise the center console arm rest to get to the switch but it isnt that big a deal.
Mine is in the same area with a whole bunch more switches as well.
Arm, warmer, opener, linelock and fan.

When at the track I just remove the arm rest cover which makes it alot easier.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
Marks04DSG
DSG forme

You can wire a foglite switch for this right?