2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
boganz45
Bootylicious

Ford Mechanics...Modders in general

For all you Ford mechanics...how long did it take to complete your training? How long is training (weekly / hour wise)? What are the prereqs for being a certified Ford mechanic? I am unfamiliar with all of this. My reason in asking is that I want to learn how to do things on my car. I know some stuff and how to do some very minor mods, but I want to learn how to do nearly anything. How would I go about doing this? I am thinking of possibly taking a year off in between undergrad and grad school to see if I can learn to be a mechanic and want to know if it is feasible or not...

-1970 Ford Mustang Grande (sold)
Many mods & 4 speed automatic
Red

-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (sold)
IUP & 5 speed
Black

-2004 Ford Explorer XLS 4x4
Silver Birch

-2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Blue and White
boganz45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
substanger
MachJunkie

Is your post for real or are you trying to be......:LAUGH:
I spent 12 years in the Navy on submarines, left in 2000, went to a Ford sponsored school for a year, and have been turning wrenches ever since. I am NO WHERE NEAR knowing "everything" I need to know to become a completely certified tech. It's an ongoing achievement, and even when you get your Master and Senior Master, you still need to keep continuing your training to keep those qualifications up. So, to answer your question....Uh, NO. But to there's nothing wrong with wanting to learn basics about your car, although, now a days, there isn't much basic in these cars anymore. Try just "thinking" about changing out the plugs and wires on a Mach 1. For one thing, there are NO wires, just coils. Good luck.
Past Mustang Ownership...'03 Mach 1 (Sold 11/07/06), '84 GT-5 speed-my first 'stang; '91 GT-5 speed; '70 M-code(351C) Mach 1; '95 Supercharged GT-S, 5 speed, totalled; '95 GT-S, 5 speed-replacement for totalled GT-S; '90 LX 5.0 5 speed; '89 LX 5.0 convertible 5 speed; '69 M-code(351W) Mach 1, 4 speed, A/C, fold down, slats, both spoilers; '90 LX 5.0 convertible.

Last edited by substanger; 05-18-2004 at 11:42 PM.
substanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
luvmynad

check out your local city junior college. they have one year courses to give you the basics so you can get your foot in the door to be a mech or check into a ford asset program, where a sponsoring ford dealer will let you work there while you go to a two year ford tech school. but no matter how much you think you know about cars, you're still learning new things every day. training is an ongoing process no matter how experienced you are.
luvmynad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
boganz45
Bootylicious

Yes I was being serious...and in regards to being a cert. mechanic I guess it would be strictly for the Ford Mustang because that is the only car I want to work on (esp. since I have one although some knowledge I assume would be applicable onto other automobiles as well). So I assume then 1 year is not enough time / I will not be able to do it? I guess I could check local colleges...

Red

IUP & 5 speed
Black

Silver Birch

Old 05-18-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
zammit

Just a plain loss for words ......ah what the heck maybe I can become a brain surgon by the end of the week.......But I only want to work on female brains over the age of 20 but under 30 with brown hair no taller than 5'6 with an ingrown toe nail!!!!!
zammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
boganz45
Bootylicious

I guess I was wrong for having an interest in furthering whatever automotive knowledge I currently have. Whoever made the comments about people around here being shot down lately was correct. I really don't give a **** if you have nothing helpful to say (be it for or against my question) and besides that I will ignore it. I am asking people who know and are on this board because we have a passion for cars, Mustangs specifically. And no I do not expect to be even the least bit knowledgeable within a week, much less a year, but knowing something is better than nothing, especially regarding the car I own. Your comment about brain surgeons was comical (being sardonic), because here at U of Michigan I am majoring in premed Biochem to go onto Grad school following a Neuorlogically based medical track to eventually get a doctorate and specialize in either neurology or neurosurgery. So thanks for your helpful comments jackass...

Red

IUP & 5 speed
Black

Silver Birch

Old 05-18-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
ValveTubeHead
Black Sheep Canyon Carver

Too bad you sold your '70...great classroom for basic mechanics. Turning a hobby into a livelyhood (no reason to become a certified mechanic unless this is your intention) has the potential to take a lot of fun out of it. If I were you, I'd stick with biochem to support a lifelong passion in rodding...just do it for the fun of it at your own pace.

The old iron is very gratifying and easy to work on, modify and repair. No computers to complicate things, Style as deep as your wallet...on and on. I'm in biotech myself, and find both the hobby and job really rewarding...only problem now is finding time to do all with equal focus, so projects do pile up, but again, they're all fun and relaxing.

Read some books, join some clubs, turn those wrenches and take it to the track :THUMBSUP:
'04 Mach1 (dsg, #165610 bd-12/09/03)

past stangs
'65 2+2
'67 coupe
'77 ghia V8 street bracketeer
'84 LX 3.8
(2) '86 GT's
'87 LX 5.0

Last edited by ValveTubeHead; 05-19-2004 at 12:07 AM.
ValveTubeHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 AM   #8
boganz45
Bootylicious

Seems like that will be the way to do it. I did do minor things on the 1970 myself with just standard "around the house" tools. Such things were:
-new wiring harnesses in engine
-new alternator
-new battery
-new distributor
-new vacuum valve (for the auto tranny)
-new vacuum valve tubes
-new voltage regulator
-new gascap
-new steering wheel
-new lock cylinder
-new ignition
-electronic ignition
-new rims and tires
-new trunk matting
-new lock heads
-new turning signal unit and lever
-new rearview mirror
-new scuff plates
-sealed rear window leak

I think that sums up all of what I did but that stuff was too easy to really be considered anything mechanically impressive. I hope once I get done with all the necessary schooling and residency, etc., I can start earning some career-based money and pursue this further...for the time being I guess I will have to pick up what I can as I go along...

Red

IUP & 5 speed
Black

Silver Birch

Old 05-19-2004, 02:22 AM   #9
ValveTubeHead
Black Sheep Canyon Carver

Thats a great start. Looks like your're not afraid to get in there...but it's time to get dirty man, taste the grease...grime in your eyes and cuts that just mysteriously appear and bleed until duct taped shut.

Like many, I got started back in highschool with dragracing in my '77 stangII. The beast wasn't the fastest, but I learned enough to be dangerous....Just learned along the way: headers, a cam, an intake, ignition, carb, some port massaging, basic teardowns/reassembly, pulling/droppin' motors, tuning etc. etc I still don't know how to weld, and that pi$$es me off.hehe

I would highly recommend you take some trips to your local pick and pull...bring a compact/basic set of tools and just tear down stuff for a couple hours each trip: a motor, tranny, brakes, suspension, rearend ...there's plenty. See how they come apart... get familiar with the "business" parts and pieces. You might not want to drive the mach (leather and grease ain't pretty). Great place to learn and appreciate all the old style and quirks of different makes. Once you get familiar with how things go together...cleaning and proper assembly methods/techniques becomes a central focus for the rest of your life. Choosing parts is always fun...just when you've convinced yourself you're wise, a little tidbit of data or new knowledge changes everything, thats life.

Tons of great resources and reading material out there...but there's also a ton of noisey/spotty crap. Magazine articles just don't usually have the depth or specificity to cover everything well...so it usually take many sources to get a good picture of concepts/theory/practical application. The net's a great place to learn stuff and bounce ideas, but still...wrenching and making mistakes along the way is how you learn.

Personally, I won't/don't wrench on my mach. I have professionals do it. They're the wheels I depend on to get me where I need to go....daily driven. I've got my two other rides just for tooling on.
'04 Mach1 (dsg, #165610 bd-12/09/03)

past stangs
'65 2+2
'67 coupe
'77 ghia V8 street bracketeer
'84 LX 3.8
(2) '86 GT's
'87 LX 5.0
ValveTubeHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
wdwrdcrzr

Macomb Comm .College

I see your in Mi, You can go to Macomb Comm college.They offer Classes For Automotive Technology.You could take specific classes,Or go for a 2yr associates degree in Auto tech.Most knowledge is aquired hands on.It doesnt take a brain surgeon to work on cars! Other wise thats what they( mechanics) would be!Read some books take some classes and start wrenchin!
Old 05-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #11
boganz45
Bootylicious

Thans wd, that is the type of answer I had hoped for. I have some friends who go to Macomb, and when I am home for summer breaks (pending I don't have other class / mil. **** to do), I will definitely look into that. Thanks again!

Red

IUP & 5 speed
Black

Silver Birch