2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Police Ride Along?

Has anybody done one?
Looking for feedback on what was experienced or what to expect from it.

I recently completed the Citizens Police Academy offered by my local police department. This is a prerequisite to applying to participate in a ride along.
So now I am about to see about scheduling the ride along.

My shameless plug...

The Citizens Police Academy I attended was very insightful and enlightening to the everyday operations of the police department that I highly recommend if you have the opportunity where you live.

One class (of the 13) from the program that has a lasting effect is participating as an officer in a mock-up of police scenarios that may be encountered any given day:

Scenario 1) Officer is dispatched to a domestic violence call where the only information the dispatcher has is that a neighbor has called in saying there is screaming and yelling in an adjacent apartment.
You arrive on the scene and hear the screaming and yelling in the apartment; knocking (or pounding) on the door and you announce police is here, but no one answers, so you take the initiative to enter the apartment.
Two women and a man are yelling and fighting; it is up to you and your partner to handle separating them.
After a few minutes of trying to "defuse" the situation, out of nowhere one woman, in this case the wife, has a knife and stabs the other woman. Instantly, she turns on you and tries to stab you.

This scenario was a wife walking in on her husband with a mistress.

Scenario 2) Officer is performing a traffic stop where there is a passenger in the front seat; your partner approaches the driver and asks for driver's license etc. and the driver seems intoxicated or high.
You have approached the passenger side and after some conversation between your partner and the driver, the passenger suddenly flees the car. You chase the passenger and they run around a building - as you run around the corner of the building, the passenger is standing there with a gun drawn on you...
How do you handle this situation?
*Statistically - if you are not dead within the first 10 seconds of facing the armed person, there is a good chance the situation can be resolved without injury.

Scenario 3) Officer is dispatched to a security alarm in a warehouse, no other information is available. It is the officer's duty to sweep the building for intruders.
It is after hours and it is dark inside the entire building. (do you turn on the lights announcing where you are at, or proceed in the dark only using a flashlight when necessary?)
After clearing a few rooms, you find a man that is sitting on the floor facing away from you.

Given you have just potentially been killed twice; how do you approach this person? Do you know if they are homeless, cold, and just trying to get out of the rain? Or are they a sociopath with malevolent intentions?
After conversation, you find the person is cold and trying to get out of the rain. [we caught a break on this one as opposed to being stabbed or shot.] They have no family to go to.
However, they are unwilling to leave the building and refused to go to a "shelter"... How do you get them out?
In this situation you may find police officers can be the kindest person in the city. They can drive anyone to a local "shelter" for a meal and place to sleep. They may even offer a meal at Denny's out of their own pocket.
Or they arrest you for trespassing and you get a free meal and place to sleep at the local jail.

Another potential scenario: You are an officer that is dispatched to a house on a domestic disturbance call. No one answers the door; after entering the house you don't immediately find anyone. Performing a sweep, you enter a bathroom with the shower curtain closed - How do you check the shower/bathtub without getting your face blown off by a shotgun or other firearm?
(There is something officers are trained to do that isn't likely obvious, but I'm going to leave this here for thought.)

Other classes ranged from a real "death" investigation (the class had to determine if it was homicide or an accident using real evidence), hostage situations, child and elderly abuse, gang activity, and about anything you can think of in-between.
_
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
carfixer
03 AB 5 SP

Re: Police Ride Along?

I did a few ride alongs back in 2005-2006. I received no training, just given instructions on where the shot gun was in case we got into a situation and my trooper was incapacitated.

I was a Lincoln Mercury tech with a supercharged Marauder at the time. Florida Highway Patrol acquired a bunch of Marauders and gave them to their "high producers". I was the only tech that worked on the one in my area and became good friends with the trooper that was driving it. I tossed him the keys to mine and he was hooked. He wasn't able to convince the higher ups to add a supercharger to his. Anyway, I got to do ride alongs to gather "technical data on the car".

Anyway, we had a lot of what I considered fun. We drove Alligator Alley while clocking traffic going the other way and crossing the median at 70 mph (hit my **** head on the roof), then getting up to 130 mph to catch the speeders. All the while we were talking as if nothing was going on. We worked a DUI check point. We were the unit assigned to catching people avoiding the stop by turning off just before the stop. We'd chase em down and turn them over to a marked trooper while we'd go back for more. We went to a couple of domestics to back up the local police but I had to stay in the car. Mostly, we'd cruise the streets looking for people speeding and drunk drivers. We would cruise the middle lane on I75 and pick people going by us at huge speeds. His personal policy was to only pull over when they were going over by at least 15 MPH. It was quite a few years ago... If I'd gone on ride alongs at a younger age, I would have become a cop for sure.

Anyway, his Sergeant, who was also a friend, was worried about liability and was told I couldn't go anymore unless I took a similar class that you took. I just didn't have the spare time to do it so that was the end of it.

Anyway, please post your adventures as you get to go on ride alongs.
Past:
2012 RR Boss302
2010 GT Track Pack. Sold
2003 TR 5 speed. Sold
2004 Marauder Trilogy S/C. Sold
carfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
Mustanger2

I recently went on one with a Deputy Sheriff neighbor & it was a great experience! I highly recommend it for all. I got to see the everyday life of a deputy...and was amazed at the constant barrage of info they are processing daily every minute! Two radio frequencies, the computer interface, & a personal phone. plus monitoring everything going on outside like speeders in all directions, looking for known wanted felons & others , cell phone drivers ( a big priority) checking activity everywhere at all times for disturbances, illegal activity. We checked on drug houses, served papers, helped old ladies living alone feel safe even got firewood for one. So busy we had no time for lunch just ate in the car like he does most days.

I got a complete tour of the jail & that was a first for me! Nice new modern jail but I never want to go there! We handled backup calls, did speeding stops, pulled over two known bad guys for illegal license plate to check on them but they turned out to be one of the nicest stops. We got a call for a fire at a rural school & were first on the scene...just as we got there the call changed to shots fired! Talk about adrenaline rush! I had to stay in the car ready to grab the AR if needed....LOL, turned out to be kids with fireworks (it was close to July 4th) that set the playground on fire and burned up the playground equipment, Whew! I got to help with a hose mopping up hot spots. All in all it was exhausting day but never dull & so interesting to see the challenges our officers face everyday!

99% of the Police Officers are so dedicated to serving & protecting us citizens & if given a chance you will find them great friends! I believe a few days like I had on a ride along would change anyone's minds of who the REAL bad guys are! They do good Samaritan things so many times and you never hear about it! How they keep being professional under the verbal & physical assaults they handle everyday is beyond me!

Schedule a ride ASAP! You will love it.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

I'm scheduled for day-shift the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. Going to see if I can make it thru the whole 12 hours (I'm no spring-chicken anymore).

Basically, "the observer" must remain in the car at all times "unless otherwise directed by the officer".

Oh yeah, the K9 unit... the majority of people who have been arrested said they would rather be shot than bitten by a K9 dog.

Cziko

Stryker

_
Old 11-20-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
not a gt

I did a 10 hour shift with a friend who is a traffic enforcement cop in Macon GA..he jammed Metallica chasing down speeders..first thing he asked was if I had my piece for back up, being a federal officer of course had my 9..learned alot about beating the man speeding lol. .couldn't believe the amount of inattentive drivers..he was on the shoulder of a major highway..I watched him looking in drivers mirror and start saying "Here we go, come on, come on"..next thing I know we doing 65 on the shoulder and I see a car pass us in the left lane!! He veered behind them and would scare the s**t out of me and them..they would try to stop and he had to get on speaker to tell them to go to the right..gave me a new respect for what they go through on the road..and the accident reports.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
not a gt

I have worked in a Federal prison now for 18 years, 3 years in a state prison..didn't need a jail tour
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #7
HAEG
Heppasketties

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
I have worked in a Federal prison now for 18 years, 3 years in a state prison..didn't need a jail tour
I've worked for NJ Corrections for 28 years now in the Fleet Management area & have family working here also. I can respect what you guys deal with inside a prison everyday, your highway buddy probably wants no part of doing your job, locked in with no weapon.
Be safe!!
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAEG View Post
I've worked for NJ Corrections for 28 years now in the Fleet Management area & have family working here also. I can respect what you guys deal with inside a prison everyday, your highway buddy probably wants no part of doing your job, locked in with no weapon.
Be safe!!
t

Thanks for your service, he actually worked in state with me and hated it and quit to be a cop
.he is now an Evil Kneivel in Ellijay GA until it snows, then he drives a Charger. Sept.2020 I am done..counting the weeks
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 11-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfixer View Post
Anyway, please post your adventures as you get to go on ride alongs.
Did my first ride-out with Patrol (not Traffic) yesterday and it was totally cool. Although, I'm a desk jockey that has been an "empty nester" the last 16 months so my view of what is totally cool is likely skewed.
Also made it the whole 12+ hours, which went really fast with all of the running around.

Not naming specific stores, but we worked primary responder on one retail store theft and back-up on two other retail store thefts.
It was an eye-opener to find out about the massive surveillance in these retail stores. All I'm going to say is they have the ability to have a good look down your wife's blouse anywhere in the store.
In all three instances, store security had reported suspicious activity to dispatch before the thieves had even left the store and Patrol was pretty much waiting for them to get in their cars and drive off.
First one was only Class C misdemeanor (under $100) ticket; the next one lead to two people getting arrested because 1) they already had warrants in another city, 2) theft was over $100; and the last one ended up being an arrest for possession of a controlled substance (weed).
An issue for a suburb of a large metroplex having two major highways running through it is that these people come from somewhere else to rob us and try go back home. (None of the perps resided in my city, yet police funding and city crime stats tend to be related to population.)

Another eye-opener was that according to Texas law, the term controlled-substance "includes the aggregate weight of a mixture or a solution of different substances that contains a controlled substance."
This means if you are carrying over 2 ounces of sugar cookies with a little bit of weed in them, you are looking at first degree felony; whereas you could have a big bag of just weed under 2 ounces that is only a misdemeanor with local jail time.

The fun one... An aggravated assault call - the one time the lights and siren came on.
First report from dispatch was that a person in an apartment complex was hit on the head with a firearm.
Two assailants had fled in a car; assailants blockaded in another apartment complex by massive police response; assailants arrested at gunpoint.
The funny thing (to me) was that the "victim" ended up getting arrested for possession of a controlled substance - weed again; think I'm starting to see a pattern in this little glimpse into Patrol's life. Turned out to be a drug-buy-gone-bad when the buyer tried to rob the dealer.

There were a few other "contacts" but nothing much worth mentioning.

One other side note on the cliché of it is a small world...
The patrol officer I did the ride-out with went to the same college at the same time that I did. We had "hit it off" pretty much from the start, so it was a really good experience.
He has a psychology/sociology background and said he became a cop because he had found it was the best place to study people.

_

Last edited by Mach351; 11-29-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: reworded a thing for clarity