2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
LUCKYMACH
Be kind of afraid!

Trade the Mach 1 for a GTO before it's too late!!!

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year
DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

"For the remaining life of the car, it simply wasn't worth the engineering expense or effort to re-certify it as an '07 for a very limited run, when we could continue selling them as '06s," says a source close to GM who is familiar with the program.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source. There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."

Another source says that GM has indicated that it would like to have another vehicle in that "space" in the future.
Oh, forgot the Tri-ax and RAM clutch and the built 4.10 rear.
That's about it, except for the chip.
Oops, DRs also, and sometimes ET Drags. And the subframes.
The linelock and driveshaft loop came standard on the car - I swear.
Other than that - bone stock.
LUCKYMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
98StangRidah
Where'd my zafu go?

Re: Trade the Mach 1 for a GTO before it's too late!!!

Good info, but I'll keep my Mach

Exhaust
MRT H-Pipe with cats
Magnaflow catback

Suspension
Bilstein struts & shocks
Steeda sport springs
MM - caster/camber plates, steering rack bushings, swaybar bushings and endlinks
18x9 Bullits with Michlein PS2s in 255/40

Other stuff - MGW shifter, MRT hood struts and black exhaust tips, SCT tune, PHP spacer

98StangRidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 PM   #3
jbrad88
Original Owner

Why does this not suprise me.

It is a shame too. Other than the styling issues, it seems like a solid performer. Not my taste, but I hate to see any RWD muscle car with a good engine/drivetrain go away...

How cool would it be to see in the next 5 years the 475hp Shelby Mustang, a 400+ hp Goat, a 400+Hp challenger, a 400hp Camaro, and a 400hp Mach or Boss or other middle tier Mustang...

We need the Muscle car to live...even if it is ugly like the goat. Keeps Ford improving our favorite...

JMHO

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Blackpony04
Free Thanks to the Brave!

Opens the door for the Firebird/Camaro. Go long enough without a performance coupe and maybe people will be beating down your door to get one.

Recovering Mach Addict
Blackpony04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Hawkgfr

no...wait....before long they will be so cheap you can have both a Mach and the goat.

05 torrid red/black m/6 GTO (1 of 641)
356 rwhp and 360 torque..(all Stock)....dynoed 2/28/06
by Carolina Auto Masters

Traded 04 oxford white Mach 1, Five speed, IUP, purchased 04/15/04, built 10/29/03, 1 of 697

Some previous cars

three 1965 GTO's, 76,85,01 TA
96 stang GT, 03 HEMI dodge ram
Hawkgfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
IowaMach
Let's GO HAWKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYMACH

Another source says that GM has indicated that it would like to have another vehicle in that "space" in the future.
When the new GTO came out I remember telling my dad “I bet the GTO is only around for 3-4 years, as a relatively inexpensive way for GM to fill the hole until the Camaro makes a comeback.” I guess we will see… However I think it is doubtful that we will see a Camaro in the next 2-3 years the way GM is right now.

To bad the GTO is leaving, I always like them but not more than the Mach.

Born: 3/25/04 Mine On: 5/16/05
5-Speed, I-UP
SLP LM II
FRPP: 4:10s and Alum. DS
H&R Sports
Maximum MotorSports LCAs
Wheel Replicas Magnum 500s
IowaMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

That sux, but as some have suggested already, this definatly looks good for a new Camaro and/or Firebird to appear.

RIP '04-'06 GTO
San Pedro Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
black_mach_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Renae
Why does this not suprise me.

It is a shame too. Other than the styling issues, it seems like a solid performer. Not my taste, but I hate to see any RWD muscle car with a good engine/drivetrain go away...

How cool would it be to see in the next 5 years the 475hp Shelby Mustang, a 400+ hp Goat, a 400+Hp challenger, a 400hp Camaro, and a 400hp Mach or Boss or other middle tier Mustang...

We need the Muscle car to live...even if it is ugly like the goat. Keeps Ford improving our favorite...

JMHO
Old 02-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
mtm87tx

the only thing i like about that car is the interior, 400hp isnt bad either but not when 100 hp short machs are running with them
mtm87tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
Roccod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm87tx
the only thing i like about that car is the interior, 400hp isnt bad either but not when 100 hp short machs are running with them
Our machs in STOCK form could run with the 350 hp gtos. But no way will they run with the LS2 400hp models. These cars are built with german precision. I am goind to wait until next Dec. or Jan. and you can believe the mach is going bye bye. They will be giving them away. When I bought my mach I was able to get it for $24,800 before taxes etc etc. Timing is everything. Have you ever driven an ls2 gto? It is definley light years ahead of our cars. I have always been a mustang guy. But I can only enjoy it alone. What fun is it to enjoy things by yourself? Our cars have no interior room for the passengers, front or back. Not to mention our cars have some of the crappiest interiors on the planet. Mine rattles and none of the seams match anywhere. Now you have gobs of interior space in the GTO. Better materials, german quality fit and finish. It is as close to anyone will every get to a luxury sports coupe for the $. It even has ac vents in the rear. Chicks don't like crawling into the back of the mach. At least in the GTO they will be comfy, and I can have my speed at the same time. Don't post back until you drive one. I will admit the styling is bland. But with the right grill, differnt rims, and deletion of the spoiler, it would be pretty sweet. Some times simple is good. Corvette power with the abilty to carry 4 adult passengers Comfortably. Check out the pontiac website. Look at the interior and you will see what I mean. No one is offering a fast car with this type of quality for the $. Even the new body style stangers have no room inside compared to the gto. They are better than ours but not even close to the gto. Pretty frickin loong post huh. I never thought i would drive anything other than a mustang. I guess I will be traveling over to the dark side.
Roccod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
machowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYMACH
the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping.
You think if they would have priced it correctly they would have sold more, just seems logical to me. In the mid twenties I may have even thought about gettting one but they were over priced when I was looking so no deal.
1995 F-150 4x4, 5.0, duals, custom interior
machowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
Historian
Original Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccod1
Our machs in STOCK form could run with the 350 hp gtos. But no way will they run with the LS2 400hp models. These cars are built with german precision. I am goind to wait until next Dec. or Jan. and you can believe the mach is going bye bye. They will be giving them away. When I bought my mach I was able to get it for $24,800 before taxes etc etc. Timing is everything. Have you ever driven an ls2 gto? It is definley light years ahead of our cars. I have always been a mustang guy. But I can only enjoy it alone. What fun is it to enjoy things by yourself? Our cars have no interior room for the passengers, front or back. Not to mention our cars have some of the crappiest interiors on the planet. Mine rattles and none of the seams match anywhere. Now you have gobs of interior space in the GTO. Better materials, german quality fit and finish. It is as close to anyone will every get to a luxury sports coupe for the $. It even has ac vents in the rear. Chicks don't like crawling into the back of the mach. At least in the GTO they will be comfy, and I can have my speed at the same time. Don't post back until you drive one. I will admit the styling is bland. But with the right grill, differnt rims, and deletion of the spoiler, it would be pretty sweet. Some times simple is good. Corvette power with the abilty to carry 4 adult passengers Comfortably. Check out the pontiac website. Look at the interior and you will see what I mean. No one is offering a fast car with this type of quality for the $. Even the new body style stangers have no room inside compared to the gto. They are better than ours but not even close to the gto. Pretty frickin loong post huh. I never thought i would drive anything other than a mustang. I guess I will be traveling over to the dark side.
German precision, quality, fit and finish. That is your opinion. Europeans don't see it that way. To them the American Cadillac is still the standard of the World.
MAC Prochamber - SLP Loudmouth
Wheels - Cobra R All Black - F 17X9 - R 17X10.5
Meats - Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - F 275/40-17 - R 315/35-17
FREE TANK OF GAS FOR ALL VETERANS
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #13
Mach1 EH
original owner

If I could get a good price on a Goat I'd trade my daily driver.
My Mach stays, but a daily driver would work just fine for me.
2003 Mach1 DSG - original owner (1 of 1595) IUP, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.
BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003 ,<-- thx Donna

2012 Shelby GT500 Perf white, SVT PP (SVT Track Pack), Electronics Package, Borla exhaust
Mach1 EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #14
DesertMach

Quote:

Bob
DesertMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #15
Hammer

no way!!!! there fugley
MGW Shifter
Borlas
Various other cosmetic stuff

Other Rides

2016 F150 XLT SCrew Cab 3.5 EcoBeast!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
grimreefer
U.S. Merchant Marine

Quote:
Our cars have no interior room for the passengers, front or back. Not to mention our cars have some of the crappiest interiors on the planet. Mine rattles and none of the seams match anywhere. Now you have gobs of interior space in the GTO. Better materials, german quality fit and finish.
STOP DATING FAT GERMAN CHICKS!!!

J/K... but I could really only agree with about 5-10% of your post.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #17
Mach1 EH
original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer

Now that is funny.

I have no issues with my Mach for sound issues.
I like the sound and feel of a sports car.
If I wanted luxury, I would have bought a Lincoln / Benz type class of vehicle.
2003 Mach1 DSG - original owner (1 of 1595) IUP, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.
BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003 ,<-- thx Donna

2012 Shelby GT500 Perf white, SVT PP (SVT Track Pack), Electronics Package, Borla exhaust
Mach1 EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #18
mtm87tx

koreans make a better car then the germans. its like buying a name like BMW. with a few exceptions of course, like porsche. now who is up for a KIA... so dont get caught up in "german" cars.

we have a 04 Range Rover HSE and we cant keep that thing out of the shop and it is a BMW product, now ford, but not in 04. so thats German Engineering for us.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #19
Mr Scary
MachJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer

:THUMBSUP:
Mr Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #20
Mr Scary
MachJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
Goats are turds!!
THE ONLY good things about the GTO are the interior and the ride.
Our MACHs can't run with the LS2 goat???
SLOWLY STEP AWAY FROM THE CRACK PIPE, SIR!!!!!
This one GTO that is touted as a FACTORY freak that runs 12.52@111.2mph MAF screen delete,muffler delete, Drag bags and MT Drag Radials
I ran 12.527@108.33 with NITTOS, X and Catback and 4.10s

Woooooo........LS2 Goats are sooooooo bad!
LOL...I'd give ya green for that one if I could
Mr Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Linumup

Quote:

All that said : It still looks like a Cavalier ! I dont care what you throw on it spoilers , rims , body fascia , whatever . It will still look like a cavalier. There is no way that thing looks like a Muscle Car . The motor pkg. is great and has plenty of potential but it will still looks like a cavalier . I knew it would die the first time i saw it . I like my Mach dont get me wrong . I like other cars as well . The new Challenger looks great with a big motor pkg.. 06 Zo6 is quite nice as well . Pontiac should of tried a different old school look ! There mistake .
HP Custom Cams
ATI Racing TH400 Cheetah SCS Air Assisted Shifter
Strange 31 spline axles w/3:55
F1R Procharger w/Cog Set-up
Magnafuel 750 -10AN Feed -8AN Return
200 Direct Wet w/MSD window switch & controller
Big Stuff 3 w/Gen. 3 Pro EFI system
Kooks 1.78 LTS 3" Custom Exhaust
Tuning by DGR Racing

DYNO KING
Linumup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
Tomcat427
What a ride it was :)

Sad thing is:

I would buy an 06 GTO before I would buy an 06 Mustang GT.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
HotRod
I Love Being Blown!

Wink Re: Trade the Mach 1 for a GTO before it's too late!!!

No way would I consider a GTO. My Mach fit the bill perfectly for what it was designed for. An American hotrod! :THUMBSUP:
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
mtm87tx

maybe its just me but lets think about this, a 05 GTO is like a 03/04 cobra infact its d@mn close.
T56, ~400hp, IRS, 4 seats, very opinionated looks *love it or hate it*. so a mach and a GTO isnt even a "fair" comparison, because technically the cobra is the "fastest" mustang, and machs are still kickin GTO @$$ with less than 300rwhp i might add, now you tell me whose are was "engineered" to go fast? and by the way i like my interior
Old 02-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #25
the stallion
sold.....

To me part of what makes a muscle car a muscle car is the image. The GTO was sorely lacking in image. Great power, nice interior, would make a nice daily driver. But when I want to cruise the streets at night, the GTO would not do it for me.
Functional=redline tranny fluid, royal purple full synthetic motor oil, SLP loudmouth catback, SLP catted x-pipe, steeda tri-axle shifter, aftermarket guages w/shiftlight, php intake spacer, jlt cai, moser 31 spline axes, ford 31 spline track lock, motive 4.10 gears, eibach pro springs, SCT custom tune by Jon Lund........

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
the stallion is offline   Reply With Quote