2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > RACING Discussions > Road Course & Autocross

Road Course & Autocross Post info about SCCA and Road Course Racing.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Bruisbe

First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

So I found a local SCCA club here in Peoria Illinois that I decided to join because they had an event out in Mossville Illinois in the Caterpillar parking lot...

There were a total of 49 cars that showed up. Several Z06's, 350z's, and even a dodge viper...I was in heat 2 so I worked corner 2 of the track the first half of the day and seeing these cars speed by me literally 25 feet away was very awe inspiring.

After lunch I got my car prepped and headed over to the grid. NERVOUS AS HELL!!!! I had a total of 7 runs for the day, unfortunately due to user error on my part, I did not make sure my dash cam was fully charged so I only got my first run recorded.

Click Here for Video!!!

My first and worst run was 66.8 seconds.

I improved each run except for my 4th run when I got cocky in turn 2 and braked a little late and smoked a cone. I still ran a 63.2 that run so even with the 2 second penalty I was quicker than my slowest time.

My final and best run was a 60.685, so I improved on the track by about 6.2 seconds, which I am totally happy with. This was my first time ever legally racing/pushing the car to its limits and I had a wonderful time!!!

Already trying to plan the next event...lol
Bruisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
bris09

Re: First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

Looks like you need some stickier tires. Also consider a set of Hawk HP+ pads for better braking. If you want less brake dust you can go with the HPS pads. While they don't stop as good as the HP+ pads they do generate quite a bit less dust. After riding in nekasrof's car a few times, I decided to go with the 2000 Cobra R front brake setup for even more braking power. Also consider weld in full length sub-frame connectors if you don't already have them. Avoid changing gears in the rear as that bumps you into the Street Mod class which you will need quite a bit more work to compete in that class.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
Bruisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris09 View Post
Looks like you need some stickier tires. Also consider a set of Hawk HP+ pads for better braking. If you want less brake dust you can go with the HPS pads. While they don't stop as good as the HP+ pads they do generate quite a bit less dust. After riding in nekasrof's car a few times, I decided to go with the 2000 Cobra R front brake setup for even more braking power. Also consider weld in full length sub-frame connectors if you don't already have them. Avoid changing gears in the rear as that bumps you into the Street Mod class which you will need quite a bit more work to compete in that class.
Thanks for the advise...I had to get over the feeling of needing to smash the gas pedal at all times...That was by far my worst run of the day...Improved by a total of 6 seconds between my first run and my last run, Unfortunately my first and worst run was the only one that I could record because Im an idiot and forgot to make sure my dashcam was charged...

The class that I have been put in is the CAM (Classic American Muscle) class due to most of the suspension work and the fact that I do have 4.10's in it.

I am racing up in Moline Illinois on June 19th and while it will be a different course, I think I will be worlds better this time around just because I will have a better understanding on how to approach the course from the start!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
03Shadow Grey

ok, if that was my first time I would be nervous too.Having said that , that looks fun as Hell!! I wish they had something like that down here. Looks to me like you did a great job , just keep that camera charged,lol. Loved the video.
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Bruisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
ok, if that was my first time I would be nervous too.Having said that , that looks fun as Hell!! I wish they had something like that down here. Looks to me like you did a great job , just keep that camera charged,lol. Loved the video.
Take a look at www.scca.com and search to see if they have any events in your area.

I ran 7 runs that day and my final run was 60.685 seconds, so once my nerves calmed down and I learned the course better, I did shave 6 seconds of that run in the video...

There is another event in Moline illinois (about 1.5 hours from me) that I am going to go to on June 19th...so I will totally make sure the camera is fully charged and ready to go for that one.

AND YES, it was fun as HELL!!! Nothing like being able to push your car to the max in a legal and safe environment.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
BONESTOCK

Nice man!! My races are usually in the low 11 second time! Ha!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Bruisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
Theres a different in doing a 1/4 mile and your 11 second time and autocrossing...lol...

But if you leave that detail out...then you are going to have to explain the superpowered suspension you have..lol
Old 05-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
BONESTOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruisbe View Post
Theres a different in doing a 1/4 mile and your 11 second time and autocrossing...lol...

But if you leave that detail out...then you are going to have to explain the superpowered suspension you have..lol
Haha!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Quote:
I wish they had something like that down here.
A couple years ago I was working in Theodore and found some SCCA Autocrosses out on highway 90 at "Sunny South Raceway" near Grand Bay.

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
03Shadow Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodnut View Post
A couple years ago I was working in Theodore and found some SCCA Autocrosses out on highway 90 at "Sunny South Raceway" near Grand Bay.
Thanks , Ill have to check on that ! I talked to a friend at work about this post and he has been in a few in this area. He also told me I wont be very competitive with the type of cars ill be facing but who cares , looks like a blast !!
03Shadow Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Bruisbe

Quote:
Thanks , Ill have to check on that ! I talked to a friend at work about this post and he has been in a few in this area. He also told me I wont be very competitive with the type of cars ill be facing but who cares , looks like a blast !!
If you go there expecting to compete, then you throw fun out the window.

By that I mean, sure I wanted to do good and sure I wanted to compete, however I also wanted to have fun. In the specific class that I got put in, I feel that I did well for my first time and learned a ton about how my car handles, that to me was worth way more than winning a plaque.

Things I learned:
- You can compete with a Z06 - Heres why. A Z06 is pushing what 550+ HP, who cares the fastest you will ever get on a course will be around 55-60Mph.
- Its more about driver skill and how well they know their car
- For the specific course that I ran, I was able to ride 2nd gear the entire time, this allowed me to focus on navigating the course and not shifting
- You NEVER have to floor the gas. Slow is faster because if you floor it and lose traction, you lose time.
- A 150 HP car has every bit of a chance to win as a Z06 because the 150HP car just needs to get around the turns and can often do so without sliding around.

If you end up finding several events that you are able to attend, then I recommend getting a SCCA membership because most, if not all events give discounts to SCCA members, therefore it will pay for itself overtime.

Another thing that is required is a SCCA approved helmet. Most events have ones there that you can borrow for your race, however not guarenteed.

But yea...go out there...pay your money...see some awesome cars upclose...leave some rubber on the track...ride along with a more experienced driver for that OHHHH S**T moment...pick the brain of someone that has been doing it for awhile and have fun...I must say...I am addicted after just one event...lol
Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Thumbs up Re: First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruisbe View Post
If you go there expecting to compete, then you throw fun out the window.

By that I mean, sure I wanted to do good and sure I wanted to compete, however I also wanted to have fun. In the specific class that I got put in, I feel that I did well for my first time and learned a ton about how my car handles, that to me was worth way more than winning a plaque.

Things I learned:
- You can compete with a Z06 - Heres why. A Z06 is pushing what 550+ HP, who cares the fastest you will ever get on a course will be around 55-60Mph.
- Its more about driver skill and how well they know their car
- For the specific course that I ran, I was able to ride 2nd gear the entire time, this allowed me to focus on navigating the course and not shifting
- You NEVER have to floor the gas. Slow is faster because if you floor it and lose traction, you lose time.
- A 150 HP car has every bit of a chance to win as a Z06 because the 150HP car just needs to get around the turns and can often do so without sliding around.

If you end up finding several events that you are able to attend, then I recommend getting a SCCA membership because most, if not all events give discounts to SCCA members, therefore it will pay for itself overtime.

Another thing that is required is a SCCA approved helmet. Most events have ones there that you can borrow for your race, however not guarenteed.

But yea...go out there...pay your money...see some awesome cars upclose...leave some rubber on the track...ride along with a more experienced driver for that OHHHH S**T moment...pick the brain of someone that has been doing it for awhile and have fun...I must say...I am addicted after just one event...lol
Good advice, spoken like a pro!

Like you said, learning how your car handles and having fun makes it all worth while.

I remember some of my favorite times was when the police would stop in and watch, something about driving to the max in front of them made my day!

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
Bruisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodnut View Post
Good advice, spoken like a pro!

Like you said, learning how your car handles and having fun makes it all worth while.

I remember some of my favorite times was when the police would stop in and watch, something about driving to the max in front of them made my day!
Last week I had my work laptop stolen out of my other vehicle and of course had to file a police report. Cop was super cool and after we got done talking about the "official stuff" we were walking back out front and he saw my car ramps by the Mach.

He goes "Working on the car" and that got us talking about the car and how he used to have a Camero that he liked to run around in. I was telling him about the race and I go "It's nice to be able to push your car to the max in a legal and safe environment."

He looked at me for a second and I almost swear he wanted to make a comment about making sure I kept it that way...lol
Old 08-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
Mine are generally a little under 2 minutes.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
mikeracing
MECHANIC

If your near chicago check out mscc midwestern sports car coucil. They run a private racing club and they are awsome to race with. They do high speed autocross , in the morning its a open track /pde and the afternoon is usually 3 tt runs from a standing start on the course.
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote