2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
TRbetngu

Someone talk me out of doing something irresponsible.

Or talk me into it. Either way.

My Mach right now is my daily driver (my commute is over 100 miles a day for now), and as some of you probably know or suspect; these cars were not made to be daily driven. They work as such, and they are great and dependable little rigs, but this car is my baby and I treat it that way. Meaning every once in a while I wish that it could just sit in a garage until weekends, which would allow me to have a piece of mind that it's safe and sound, plus I can slowly start working on some areas of the car that bug me (creaky suspension, full detail, install mods, etc.).

Let me start by saying that I'm 24, my car is fully paid off, no money owed on it. I have a bachelors degree in criminology with all student loans paid off. A four wheeler that I owe a little money on, but can't use because I have no truck to tow it with. I pay $300 (rent to own) a month on a house that my dad currently owns. I have a decent job starting out as a paralegal, making decent money but not a fortune. I have a girlfriend that will sometime soon be my fiance that I have been with for quite awhile that has a great job making good money. Insurance sucks but I'm about 25 so that will help a little. So, here is my decision.

My father has a 2013 Ecoboost that I have loved ever since he has had it, and have wanted one ever since. I have recently come across a 2011 F150 xlt 4x4 Ecoboost that has 95,000 miles and too much chrome for an average deal at $18,500. I talked to the dealership and with my credit score, they said they could finance the truck at 4.5%. The guy that owns it said they could do $17,950 for it, but I'm fairly certain he would come down to $17,500. This truck will have hardly any features, pretty much plain Jane, but it will pull well and will get decent mileage for a 1/2 ton pickup. I've done the math over and over again, and I can afford the truck even while adding to savings. But I wanted to ask the wise men (and women) of M1R for advice who have maybe been in my shoes before. Ideally, I would like to get a cheaper truck for 8,000-10,000 but I don't want a diesel, and any Ecoboosts in that price range have over 200,000 miles. My old 05 F150 5.4 had trouble pulling the trailer loaded down with 4 four wheelers and a UTV to and from riding spots. I don't want to mess with any of that again. I want to have a truck that will pull most things I throw at it.

Do I bite the bullet and finance the truck now that I don't have kids and/or a huge mortgage to pay? Do I suck it up and keep the Mach daily driven? Does anybody have a 2010-2012 Ecoboost that they care to share about? Any and all advice/opinions would be taken into consideration and be very helpful.

Y'all are the best!

Picture of said truck is attached, for reference.

P.S. selling Wendy is not an option.
Attached Thumbnails
186fe56d-bb8d-4462-9eb6-2954734bd279_large.jpg  

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

Re: Someone talk me out of doing something irresponsible.

In all honesty I'd probably look for something with less mileage. With almost 100K on the clock, with an ecoboost you have to start thinking about possible turbo issues/replacements depending on how much towing that rig has seen and whether or not it was tuned by the previous owner.

Whatever you do, do not keep dailying your Mach 1! For 2 yrs, I had my old 93 Ranger to drive back and forth to work and my Mach 1 for everything else. I had too many miles on my Ranger (currently 277K) to trust it on long drives. I put almost 1K miles on my Mach 1 every time I went home to South Texas (worked 14 days on 7 days off in the oilfield in West Texas). I went from 65K to 95K miles on my Mach 1 during those 2 yrs before I finally bought my 2014 Regular Cab 5.0 F-150. Looking back now, I should've bought it sooner.

If my Mach 1 wasn't in storage right now, I'd take a picture of the rock chips that are peppered all over the leading edge of my hood and front bumper. Believe me, that alone would make you stop dailying your Mach 1.

If you can swing the payments, I say go and get yourself a truck. But I would really shop around and maybe look at something with less miles depending on what your budget is of course. Trust me they're out there. I changed jobs and don't have to make those ridiculously long trips home anymore so my 3 year old F150 only has 14K miles and my Mach 1 still has 95K miles and is now a garage queen. A little late, but better late than never.

Edit: I forgot to give you kudos for paying off your student loans. That was a wise move!
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials

Last edited by StangFever2846; 07-21-2017 at 07:22 AM.
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

Any chance your old man might be looking to trade up to a newer F-150 so you can buy his?
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
SLO-RIDE

First off, congrats on getting an education and starting your adult life moving forward. Driving long commutes to work will take it toll on your car, and on you as time goes on. I agree that a job closer to home would be a good idea. Your Mach is paid for so keep it and care for it. Over the years, I sold too many toys thinking I needed the money for something else. Look for a low mile truck and be ready to buy when the right one comes along. 100K is where issues may start costing you $$$$$. With todays financing, neww is sometimes a good option. Good luck with your search of a truck

SLO-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
RLWPA

I agree that you want to find something with fewer miles. Financing a vehicle with almost 100,000 miles on the clock is scary...lots of things need attention at that point and beyond, even if it has been cared for...much worse if it has not been.
RLWPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFever2846 View Post
In all honesty I'd probably look for something with less mileage. With almost 100K on the clock, with an ecoboost you have to start thinking about possible turbo issues/replacements depending on how much towing that rig has seen and whether or not it was tuned by the previous owner.
This is what I was worried about, but just a few google searches told me that they are relatively dependable motors, pending the fact that they were maintained nicely, which is a gamble you take with any new vehicle. I guess some bigger turbos would be okay with me anyways if these gave way.

Also thanks for the kudos, I'm very glad to be done with it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFever2846 View Post
Any chance your old man might be looking to trade up to a newer F-150 so you can buy his?
He just got his about this time last year. It's a 2013 King Ranch with all the options imaginable. It is such a nice truck, he will never get rid of that thing lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO-RIDE View Post
First off, congrats on getting an education and starting your adult life moving forward. Driving long commutes to work will take it toll on your car, and on you as time goes on. I agree that a job closer to home would be a good idea. Your Mach is paid for so keep it and care for it. Over the years, I sold too many toys thinking I needed the money for something else. Look for a low mile truck and be ready to buy when the right one comes along. 100K is where issues may start costing you $$$$$. With todays financing, new is sometimes a good option. Good luck with your search of a truck

I would love a low mile rig, but I really would like to keep it below $20,000. Thanks for the congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWPA View Post
I agree that you want to find something with fewer miles. Financing a vehicle with almost 100,000 miles on the clock is scary...lots of things need attention at that point and beyond, even if it has been cared for...much worse if it has not been.
See above post. Would reallllllly like to keep it below $20,000, and low mileage Ecoboosts can't be had for that.

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
Turbo900rr

Put a hitch on the Mach. Pecks on Kearney sells and install them
Turbo900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo900rr View Post
Put a hitch on the Mach. Pecks on Kearney sells and install them
A Mach 1 pulling a trailer full of quads, that would be dope! Lol

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
speeddemon0712

Have you considered a Silverado? You could easily get a 2009 - 2012 ish with well under 100k miles for well under $20k. That 5.3 is a bullet proof motor. You'd have to settle for a 2wd, but if you're just looking for a daily to replace a Mach 1, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I bought a 2009 Silverado ext. cab with 29k miles for $18k a few years ago. Ended up trading it in on a 4wd 2011 Ram, which led to my current 2016 F150 XLT FX4. I love my F150, but wish I had kept the Silverado. It would have been paid off by now, not to mention my payments doubled going to the Ram and then increased again with the F150.
H&R lowering springs - needs shocks/struts!!!
125k miles and counting...
speeddemon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon0712 View Post
Have you considered a Silverado? You could easily get a 2009 - 2012 ish with well under 100k miles for well under $20k. That 5.3 is a bullet proof motor. You'd have to settle for a 2wd, but if you're just looking for a daily to replace a Mach 1, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I bought a 2009 Silverado ext. cab with 29k miles for $18k a few years ago. Ended up trading it in on a 4wd 2011 Ram, which led to my current 2016 F150 XLT FX4. I love my F150, but wish I had kept the Silverado. It would have been paid off by now, not to mention my payments doubled going to the Ram and then increased again with the F150.
Thanks for the suggestion, but 4wd is a must have. I have actually already picked up a new truck. I'll create a thread with pics shortly!

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps