2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
HamMach1
A.D.D. FTL

Uh oh, oil on the spark plugs. What do?

Brief history:
  • Last year I changed my plugs... slight oil on plug 8 (I believe it's 8... driver side rearest)
  • After the oil change, on first start up, I noticed smoke out of the exhaust. Figured it was maybe just some grease or something burning off. This eventually stopped all together.
  • Also, a burning smell occurs when I get to about 3000 rpm or so and the car feels like it misses or gets choked up
  • No issues when I drive with a light foot

I decided to change the plugs today in hopes to rectify this burning smell and that choked up feeling, since I only noticed these things to happen after last spark plug change. Pulled out the number 8 plug and there was oil on it and it seems like there's a bit more than last time, despite the time of change being much less. It's only on the bottom half with the threads. Went from NGK back to Motorcraft this time around and ensured all were gapped the same and correctly. Using dielectric grease for the boots as well. Not sure if the oil in the plug would cause the "miss".

Thoughts? Looked through some older threads as well but just asking because....

HamMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
mikeracing
MECHANIC

Re: Uh oh, oil on the spark plugs. What do?

The oil looks like it is from the valve covers leaking the plug itself looks good. Dose the car have high milage. I am guessing here but you may have a build up of oil in the bottom of the intake or the valve seals are getting old.

Check the porcelen on each plug make sure you dont have any burn marks.

Dose it happen in cold and wet or hot dry conditions?
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
HamMach1
A.D.D. FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracing View Post
The oil looks like it is from the valve covers leaking the plug itself looks good. Dose the car have high milage. I am guessing here but you may have a build up of oil in the bottom of the intake or the valve seals are getting old.

Check the porcelen on each plug make sure you dont have any burn marks.

Dose it happen in cold and wet or hot dry conditions?
113k miles. The build up makes sense since I seem to be losing oil, but it's not leaking out onto the ground so it's going somewhere.

Happens in all weather though it's mostly warm to hot here all year (Florida).

Here's a picture of all the NGK plugs I took out. Most had some oil on it but that one I posted in the OP was the worst of them.

Oops... I guess just 7 of them. Didn't take them all out of the trash I guess lol. Looks like some have burn marks on them.

HamMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
mikeracing
MECHANIC

Overall they look good. The valve cover could use resealing and maybe valveseals but i dont think thats your issue.

Coils typically break down in the heat.
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote