2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
05GT_04Mach

(HELP!) Grinding/Rattling Noise From Trans After Exedy Clutch and Flywheel

Ok, just installed a brand new Exedy Ultra Fiber Organic Stage 1 Clutch and Exedy Lightweight Steel Flywheel. Used new ARP flywheel bolts, new ford pressure plate bolts, replaced rear main seal (Felpro PTFE, reused old oil slinger/baffle) new FORD pilot bearing, clutch fork, throwout bearing, and pivot stud. Mcleod aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster with OEM ford cable. 3.2qt Mercon III ATF.

Car is now making an awful rattling/grinding/scraping noise while idling in neutral with the clutch engaged (pedal up). Noise is faint at first then progressively gets louder as the car warms up. Noise gets SIGNIFICANTLY worse when the A/C is turned on. It stops entirely when the clutch is disengaged (pedal down).

https://youtu.be/eZhaJy0syao

Checked input shaft and felt no play by hand. Got under the car and removed the cable from the fork and slid the TOB off the pressure plate fingers, noise still remains. Listened with a screwdriver and isolated the sound to the bellhousing just below the flywheel.

Any Ideas on what i should do? Some have said this is normal for a lightweight flywheel but i havent found a single review of this flywheel mentioning noise. Car also drives super smooth, no pedal vibrations, only a moderate shifter vibration in 3rd and 4th, can hear an audible scraping cruising in 4th especially (this was present but not as prevalent with the old setup). Bad pilot maybe? Did i get a bunk clutch? Please help!

Last edited by 05GT_04Mach; 09-20-2019 at 07:24 AM.
05GT_04Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: (HELP!) Grinding/Rattling Noise From Trans After Exedy Clutch and Flywheel

sounds like a clutch or pp issue to me

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote