2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
ubenjewed

Need opinions

I recently installed bbk long tubes with off road h pipe to existing slp catback and the car now is TOO loud and sounds like a trumpet above 2500 rpm. I absoulutly hate it but liked the sound when it had the stock h pipe in it so leaning towards installing high flow cats but also considering changing the mufflers. And go.......
ubenjewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
311-420
Can't be bridled

Re: Need opinions

Magnaflow
Slp powerflo
Steeda
Borla xr-1

I run the magnaflows with lts and or x. No trumpets over here. Can be calm or insane. Been through a lot of exhaust combinations but I've had this one for years and have no intention of changing it. Any of the above mufflers will take that edge off, sound great and flow great.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

A trumpet?! I don't think I've ever heard that kinda sound from a V8 lol. Does it sound like glasspacks with the SLP's?

If you still want a louder sound, I think I'd try an off road X midpipe.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
ubenjewed

Sound clip? Yes a trumpet as best as I can describe.
ubenjewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 AM   #5
01yellerCobra

Adding cats makes a big difference. I had hollowed out cats for a while. Putting high flows back in made a big difference.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubenjewed View Post
Sound clip? Yes a trumpet as best as I can describe.
I don't think a sound clip of mine would help. Mine has an H pipe too. I have Borla stingers on mine. The x pipe usually ads a rasp to the sound. I would think that would fix a trumpet type sound.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
I don't think a sound clip of mine would help. Mine has an H pipe too. I have Borla stingers on mine. The x pipe usually ads a rasp to the sound. I would think that would fix a trumpet type sound.
X pipes don't add rasp. Running an or pipe, be it x or h, with imitation mufflers aka glasspacks like stingers, lm2, lm1, magnapacks are what causes the noise he's getting. Cats will help, but not as much as a muffler with packing will. Cats will take the majority of the rasp/blat sound away from inside the car, but outside it's still a blatty noise from 2500rpm and up if you're giving it more than 1/4 throttle. I learned that watching my car get dyno'd years ago. I thought I had cured the rasp with cats because it sounded better from my point of view behind the wheel, but being outside of it that wasn't the case.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
speeddemon0712

I agree with 311-420, you'll want a good muffler with packing, or at the very least a catted mid pipe. You'll still have some rasp, but the cats will tone that down a TON!

What did you end up doing?
H&R lowering springs - needs shocks/struts!!!
125k miles and counting...
speeddemon0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
X pipes don't add rasp. Running an or pipe, be it x or h, with imitation mufflers aka glasspacks like stingers, lm2, lm1, magnapacks are what causes the noise he's getting. Cats will help, but not as much as a muffler with packing will. Cats will take the majority of the rasp/blat sound away from inside the car, but outside it's still a blatty noise from 2500rpm and up if you're giving it more than 1/4 throttle. I learned that watching my car get dyno'd years ago. I thought I had cured the rasp with cats because it sounded better from my point of view behind the wheel, but being outside of it that wasn't the case.
For me, I define "rasp" as the undefined or sorta wet super loud exhaust. The H midpipes made mine more like the old musclecar sound, deeper and more defined. Mine has a blatty sound when I goose it (like a 1/4 throttle) from lower RPM's. But when I floor it, it's more defined and musclecar/ pushrod racecar kinda sounding after ~2500-3000 RPM's. It seems like the splatty sound continues on through the RPM's with X pipe setups. Is that not what you've experienced?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruza View Post
For me, I define "rasp" as the undefined or sorta wet super loud exhaust. The H midpipes made mine more like the old musclecar sound, deeper and more defined. Mine has a blatty sound when I goose it (like a 1/4 throttle) from lower RPM's. But when I floor it, it's more defined and musclecar/ pushrod racecar kinda sounding after ~2500-3000 RPM's. It seems like the splatty sound continues on through the RPM's with X pipe setups. Is that not what you've experienced?
That splatty sound is the rasp I was talking about too. It continues throughout rpm range with x and h pipes too from everything I've seen in vids and in person. The cats will calm it down a lot. Full sized mufflers with packing like magnaflow, slp powerflo, steeda etc (not a chambered muff like flow or mac that doesn't have packing) will get rid of that splat all together. An offroad pipe with a chambered muffler will trade the splatty rasp sound for a coffee can sound. Sorta hard to explain the sound but similar to marbles in a coffee can. That sound only last between 2300rpm and 3000rpm then goes away with the chambered mufflers.

Sometimes what we hear inside the car is not the same as people outside the car hear. Best way to know would be having someone drive your car while you stand outside or make a vid yourself and watch it if you can't have someone drive it for you.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 08-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
That splatty sound is the rasp I was talking about too. It continues throughout rpm range with x and h pipes too from everything I've seen in vids and in person. The cats will calm it down a lot. Full sized mufflers with packing like magnaflow, slp powerflo, steeda etc (not a chambered muff like flow or mac that doesn't have packing) will get rid of that splat all together. An offroad pipe with a chambered muffler will trade the splatty rasp sound for a coffee can sound. Sorta hard to explain the sound but similar to marbles in a coffee can. That sound only last between 2300rpm and 3000rpm then goes away with the chambered mufflers.

Sometimes what we hear inside the car is not the same as people outside the car hear. Best way to know would be having someone drive your car while you stand outside or make a vid yourself and watch it if you can't have someone drive it for you.
I do really like the sound of the full sized Magnaflows. It was my choice for a cat back, but I changed my mind when I found my Borla S-type on sale for $419 on Summit lol. I need to have someone drive my ride so I can hear in person. I've only heard in the car and at the very end of a flyby when I was decelling. I have actually thought about buying a catted midpipe, but it's low on the list, since we don't have inspections here. The main reason was to find something that didn't hang down as low as my O/R midpipe does.