2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
TransAxle

Dealerships are funny...

So, really starting to get that itch, as I am really missing my old mach...

Well been searching Autotrader and what not for another Torch Red Mach and found this at a dealership near me.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...26103880&Log=0

Not a overly bad price for the miles as long as its in good condition. Go take a look at it and wow...let me list the issues with it at their asking price of $14,000.

Front and Rear Bumper replaced and repainted in a redish pink look...more pink then red.
Side emblems replaced with a cheap crappy looking running horse
Front hood stripe, crappy replace with defects all in it
Scratches everywhere
Pieces on the plastic window valiance missing
Rear black out section spray painted on....poorly
Trunk FULLY gutted, including amp deck and speakers
Door panels had been replaced and the vinyl was starting to peel off the backing on both doors in multiple places
All handles and knops replaced with some cheap billet pieces
Felt covering over the e-brake was replaced and the bottom boot was gone. So it was just free floating and you could see how to the bare metal underneat
Cheap head unit in, with scratches on the pleather dash where the pulled the head unit covering off
Their detail department burned the exterior window trim attempting to buff the car

Only positive things it had was a 3/8 spacer, slp loudmouth axle back exhaust, alum driveshaft and a clutch.

So after taking it for a test drive, fills strong, so give it one good low roll 1st-2nd romp to make sure the clutch grabs, it pulls well and basically that it doesnt feel like the motor, transmission or rear end is about to let go. Get screamed at by the sales guy...lol. Not the first time, had a sales guy not like truly testing a car. Get back, look over the car, check the motor for any apparent leaks...still good. Thats when I start really looking over the car and find a lot of the cosmetic issues. Well sales guy and I start talking price. He ask me for my best...I tell him $7500. lol. Car was a piece cosmetically. So we start to play the price game...which he sucks at it. He goes and talks with his sales manager and tells me the price of $14,000 is there best price.. "internet price." So he says were almost $7000 apart, to give him a better number to work with...so I tell him $8000. lol. This point I tell him to talk to his sales manager and give me his best price...actually negotiate with me. Goes to his sales manager...after 5 minutes Sales Managers comes over and tells me... "Thanks for your time, sorry we could not work a deal." and walks away. I walk out laughing out loud about there $14,000 best deal price.

Sorry for the rant....seems my search goes on.
2003 Torch Red Mach 1 - 5spd - C&L Inlet Pipe, K&N Drop in Intake, 85mm MAF, Diablo Predator Programmer, Pro5.0 Shifter, Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Steel Flywheel, Roys P&P Intake Manifold, Roys Intake Spacer, Magnaflow Tru-x X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack Cat-Back, Tokico Gas Struts, Eibach Springs
TransAxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
mach18604

Re: Dealerships are funny...

Im in the same boat as you!

I had a mach that I should not have sold.. I will be getting another this Dec when I get my Xmas bonus..
Old 08-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
jpilone
Uncertified Gynocologist

They probably paid $11k for the car. they look at the book value and then consider the cosmetics as a "it's an older car" rule.
jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
iudelt89
United We Stang

I've given up on dealerships for used cars like that. They over charge by a wide margin and almost never go over the cars they take in on trade. They vaccum them out, then throw them on the lot. If you have cash I would recommend finding a good private seller. Chances are they will be able to tell you a lot more about the history of the car as well. If they are the decent honest type anyway.

I have my own rant about private sellers though. Excuse me while I . So I have been looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to use as a DD for a few weeks now. I have looked at a few and passed. So earlier this week I was talking to a seller and asked them a few questions about it, does it need any mechanical work, does it have any rust, etc, etc. They said no, all it needs is tires and its good to go. So they sent me a few pictures of it and it looked good. It was located about an hour and a half away so I decided to drive out there with a friend to take a look at it. When I get there, I notice a huge dent on the back that was rusted out, some rust on the side, rips on the interior. They had carefully taken pictures that avoided these areas. So I was a little pissed to begin with. Then I took it for a drive, needed tie rods and a steering shock which I could tell right away. So I turned around immediately and drove it back. Climbed under it and I could see that both axle boots were torn on the front end. That was a deal breaker for me. I didn't even shoot a super low ball offer because they didnt deserve to sell it. Why they didnt mention these things when they knew I was driving a long distance to come see it is beyond me. I guess people will always hold something back
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
TransAxle

Update...well the dealership called me today and for only having the car 6 days, as the sales guy said, they went from best price of $14,000 down to $11,000. When he called me, I asked him what was his best price and he did not skip a beat to $11k. Though the thing was a piece and I told them I would not go higher than $9000 for a project. So, needless to say we did not make a deal. lol

Still sad that literally RIGHT across the street from them a Used Car Lot has a '04 Azure Blue with 60k miles on it with similar mods for $13000.
2003 Torch Red Mach 1 - 5spd - C&L Inlet Pipe, K&N Drop in Intake, 85mm MAF, Diablo Predator Programmer, Pro5.0 Shifter, Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Steel Flywheel, Roys P&P Intake Manifold, Roys Intake Spacer, Magnaflow Tru-x X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack Cat-Back, Tokico Gas Struts, Eibach Springs
Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
TransAxle

Update...well the dealership called me today and for only having the car 6 days, as the sales guy said, they went from best price of $14,000 down to $11,000. When he called me, I asked him what was his best price and he did not skip a beat to $11k. Though the thing was a piece and I told them I would not go higher than $9000 for a project. So, needless to say we did not make a deal. lol

Still sad that literally RIGHT across the street from them a Used Car Lot has a '04 Azure Blue in GREAT condition with 60k miles on it with similar mods for $13000.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

I hate haggling with dealers. What's worse is when you decide no and they try to keep you there, even just to waste your time. It's like they're trying to get something out of you - money, your time, or both.
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote