2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results

Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results Questions, experiences & results for electronic tuning and dyno tests

Old 02-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #26
Deeve

Re: Predator revisions and timing PART DEUX

I realize the below technique doesn't replace a dyno run with a wideband O2 sensor but would someone help me a little with this? I would like to try and keep my engine safe until I can get to a dyno. The Predator book isnt the best so I was looking to find out what I settings to use to get the information I need and then what results to look at. I have never done data readings before so I am not sure what the setting would be. When -15% is mentioned is that number going to be given to me somewhere on the readout and what will it be called.
Thanks for the help.

Dave
"For those of you who want to try it, and don't want to go to the dyno, there is a simple way to check whether your running too lean. With the factory tune (unmodified) do real time data for gas acceleration WOT, selected parameters and make sure to add short term fuel (bank 1 and bank 2), at WOT see what the percentages go to (should be around -15% both banks), then when you install the Diablo tune see what it changes to, then add or take out fuel to get close or the same you were stock. Again this is a crude way and not all that accurate, a wideband A/F monitor is the way to know (DYNO)."
Borla Stinger cat-back
35% Tint
Deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:34 AM   #27
punch
bouncing soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksterman
All right this will be one of my last posts to this thread, since I finally got a good custom tune (3rd iteration). I have posted the RPM and spark advance vs time, second gear WOT, for two runs. The custom tune is retarded in the Predator 26 % 2-4K and 35 % 4-7K. This gives an almost flat 24 degree advance through redline. It allows me to have a safe tune for the summer, and still gives me lots of room to advance it if it makes more power (dyno). I am going to put in a ported intake, so it may be a while before I go back to determine the optimal timing advance for my car, but I know with 24 degrees advance I am at 305 RWHP, so it will be a good starting point.

Overall the custom tune was worth it to me, the knock retard is eliminated, and I can now adjust both fuel and timing substantially with the Predator. If you can find a local Diablosport dealer I would suggest getting a custom tune while on the dyno, as opposed to getting them through email from Diablosport, and then having to verify what has changed/improved, it has been a headache. Any questions/comments let me know, enjoy

Can you only eliminate the knock retard through a custom tune?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #28
cory2081

I'm running r50D with -10% fuel (richer) programmed in for both RPM ranges. I see a solid 20 degree spark advance and -22% on the short term fuel. I just read all of this and seems like my timing is low compared to how far advanced some of you guys are running your timing. -22% on the short term fuel should mean it is running rich correct? Should I go for more timing or back out the fuel?? I always run good 93...sometimes Sonoco 95 (b/c it's only $.10 more).
MRT CAI
NX Wet Kit
FRPP Aluminium Driveshaft
Steeda Sport Springs
Clear Foglights
EBC Greenstuff Pads
EBC Drilled/Slotted Rotors
MGW Shifter
SCT Tune
N/A 318HP 333Ft. Lbs.
Nitrous ?????????
cory2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #29
Mach32v
L5 Mach

Quote:
Well I got the car dynod today and these are the results:

HP 305 @ 6050
TQ 321.5 @ 4800
A/F 13.5:1

Now if anyone can tell me how to include a pic I can post the dyno results (I can't figure out how to add an image from the HD).

You just scroll down when you post a thread and click "manage attachments" then click browse. and find yor file and then select open. Viola! you have mada an attachment! please pardon my sarcasm.
BTW awesome info in your thread I have just bought the predator and I can only utilize about 10 percent of its functions due to my lack of knowledge on the piece. thanks for the info!!
MGW Sport Shifter
M1R polished coil covers
A few MGW appearance mods
About 10 coats of Zaino and Counting.

284 RWHP SAE
307 RWTQ SAE

Installed post dyno:
Plasma Booster Ignition Module
Diablosport Predator Tune
MAC O/R Prochamber
MAC Truflow Catback
Mach32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:46 PM   #30
P Machy
www.socalterminators.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory2081
I'm running r50D with -10% fuel (richer) programmed in for both RPM ranges. I see a solid 20 degree spark advance and -22% on the short term fuel. I just read all of this and seems like my timing is low compared to how far advanced some of you guys are running your timing. -22% on the short term fuel should mean it is running rich correct? Should I go for more timing or back out the fuel?? I always run good 93...sometimes Sonoco 95 (b/c it's only $.10 more).
yes, -22% means you should see 11.8 A/F with a wideband.

i would lean out the A/F from 4k to 7k but richen the lower side of the rpms from 2k to 4k. i was sitting at high 13's to low 14's A/F ratio.

timing isnt everything.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #31
P Machy
www.socalterminators.com

Quote:
All right this will be one of my last posts to this thread, since I finally got a good custom tune (3rd iteration). I have posted the RPM and spark advance vs time, second gear WOT, for two runs. The custom tune is retarded in the Predator 26 % 2-4K and 35 % 4-7K. This gives an almost flat 24 degree advance through redline. It allows me to have a safe tune for the summer, and still gives me lots of room to advance it if it makes more power (dyno). I am going to put in a ported intake, so it may be a while before I go back to determine the optimal timing advance for my car, but I know with 24 degrees advance I am at 305 RWHP, so it will be a good starting point.

Overall the custom tune was worth it to me, the knock retard is eliminated, and I can now adjust both fuel and timing substantially with the Predator. If you can find a local Diablosport dealer I would suggest getting a custom tune while on the dyno, as opposed to getting them through email from Diablosport, and then having to verify what has changed/improved, it has been a headache. Any questions/comments let me know, enjoy
Glad everything worked out for you

think i'll see my tuner tomorrow & hopefully the SCT software can take full control of my timing.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #32
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

I think Diablosport finally got a decent tune with the r50d program. I dropped it in to my Mach while on the dyno, and got (what I consider) very good results out of the box. I'm running a C&L CAI and a Borla Stinger Cat back...other than that, the car is stock. I need to do some data logging to see where my timing is . I'm sooooooo close to 300 hp (std corrected) that I don't think I can leave it as it is!! BTW, here's the dyno sheet of my best run.
Attached Thumbnails
Dyno 3.jpg  
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #33
Deeve

Did you mess with any of the stock settings on the R50d or was that run "as-is?"

Thanks
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDraper
I think Diablosport finally got a decent tune with the r50d program. I dropped it in to my Mach while on the dyno, and got (what I consider) very good results out of the box. I'm running a C&L CAI and a Borla Stinger Cat back...other than that, the car is stock. I need to do some data logging to see where my timing is . I'm sooooooo close to 300 hp (std corrected) that I don't think I can leave it as it is!! BTW, here's the dyno sheet of my best run.
Borla Stinger cat-back
35% Tint
Deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #34
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

I also have the Preidtor with the r50d update. I installed the Diablo Tune and my car fills great, because I have a C&L, Magnaflow Cat Backs and thier X-pipe, I'm running my 2-4k and 4-7k really rich (-20 and -15 perspectively). I just purchased the worked Intake from Orange Blast and PHP Spacer which I want to install prior to dyno.

When it's all in, I'll let you know how she performs, Deeve your post is very promising, I'm hoping f 300hp+ figures, keeping fingers crossed!

Michael

Performance:
K&N Filter
Magnaflow X-Pipe
Magnaflow Cat-Back
Predator Diablo Tune
Suspension:
Griggs Rear Springs/300 lbs.
Koni Yellow Adjustable
MM CC Plates
MM Front Coilovers
MM Adjustable Rear LCA
MM Full length SFC
MM 4-pt K-Member Brace
MM Steel Braided Brake Lines
Appearance:
35W DDM HID Lights
S281 Rear Deck Spoiler
MRT 3" Rolled Exhaust Tips
Ford 8.8 Axle Cover
Saleen Matt Black 18x9
Nitto Extreme 555 275/35/18

*SOLD 2017*
New Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #35
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeve
Did you mess with any of the stock settings on the R50d or was that run "as-is?"

Thanks
Dave

The run I posted was with the R50d as it came from Diablosport...no modifications. After the session, I did dump a little extra fuel into the 2-4k band because I wasn't 100% confident in what the dyno shop said about their low end a/f measurements.
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 PM   #36
cory2081

I'm having issues with the R50D tune. My car pings on "tip-in", which is just right when the throttle is snapped, then goes away. I don't see any timing being pulled at WOT and the car is actually running a little rich. It just pings when I punch the throttle. Seems I'm not the only one here with that problem either, just looking for a little help here please.
MRT CAI
NX Wet Kit
Steeda Sport Springs
Clear Foglights
EBC Greenstuff Pads
MGW Shifter
SCT Tune
N/A 318HP 333Ft. Lbs.
Nitrous ?????????
Old 07-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #37
Mach32v
L5 Mach

I believe I am having the same problem with the r50D tune. When I downshift and get on it I get a little bit of a rattle in the engine. Any help would be appreciated.
MGW Sport Shifter
M1R polished coil covers
A few MGW appearance mods
About 10 coats of Zaino and Counting.

284 RWHP SAE
307 RWTQ SAE

Installed post dyno:
Plasma Booster Ignition Module
Diablosport Predator Tune
MAC O/R Prochamber
MAC Truflow Catback
Mach32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #38
cory2081

EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Maybe if we get enough people, Diablo will make another revision. This is not a safe tune!!
MRT CAI
NX Wet Kit
Steeda Sport Springs
Clear Foglights
EBC Greenstuff Pads
MGW Shifter
SCT Tune
N/A 318HP 333Ft. Lbs.
Nitrous ?????????
Old 08-18-2005, 07:06 PM   #39
anothersvtguy

Well I have to confess Im not a Mach1 owner. I have a 99 Cobra with a Magnaflow catback and a WMS cold air intake... I just installed the r50d Predator tune last night. Feels like I picked up some torque down low, which is nice. I have done some searching online and this thread seemed to have more good info than most of the others I have read. I am not getting any pinging, but the strange thing is the exhaust odor doesnt even smell like exhaust anymore. Its doesnt really smell like anything actually Not sure what that means, I would guess it means I am leaned out quite a bit.
My question is if I dont notice any pinging am I good to go?
anothersvtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #40
New Mach
Team Comp Orange Pres.

Your running lean! Too lean and the motor goes, have the car dynoed and try to get about 12.5 air to fuel ratio at wide open throttle, any more then 13 or higher can equal new motor, that is why you don't smell anything.

Michael

Performance:
K&N Filter
Magnaflow X-Pipe
Magnaflow Cat-Back
Predator Diablo Tune
Suspension:
Griggs Rear Springs/300 lbs.
Koni Yellow Adjustable
MM CC Plates
MM Front Coilovers
MM Adjustable Rear LCA
MM Full length SFC
MM 4-pt K-Member Brace
MM Steel Braided Brake Lines
Appearance:
35W DDM HID Lights
S281 Rear Deck Spoiler
MRT 3" Rolled Exhaust Tips
Ford 8.8 Axle Cover
Saleen Matt Black 18x9
Nitto Extreme 555 275/35/18

*SOLD 2017*
New Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #41
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

At normal cruising while at part throttle, you are going to be running around 14.7 on A/F ratio. The fact that you smell no exhaust then is no cause for concern.
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:17 PM   #42
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory2081
I'm having issues with the R50D tune. My car pings on "tip-in", which is just right when the throttle is snapped, then goes away.

I had the same problem with the tune. Dyno tune helped, but still get it sometimes.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #43
sampson101st
04 mach1

so i have the -c tune, should i up grade tot he -d tune?

00 lightning, paid for.12lbs boost.
03 lightning, paid for.10lbs boost.
sampson101st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #44
Briansmach1

Hello all I am new to this. I just bought an 04 mach and love it. My question is this I bought a predator off of ebay and installed the tune. I did not touch nothing in the tune just put it in like it is. I felt a diffrence down low. I ran the car at a 1/8th mile drag strip and the car runs fine when it is cold but when it is up to temp it seems to loose power. Is this the programmer? I got into a shoot out with a 98 vet and I do need to say I won 2 out off 3 but first pass ran a 8.83 @ 82.5 next pass went a 8.90 @ 80 next pass went a 8.99 @ 78. The car is stock with a k&n and this programmer and just flowmasters. Any info would help. If I need to i will put stock program back it to keep from hurting my car if yall think this is a problem. Thanks. Oya it is the R50d ver.
Briansmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #45
65fastback2+2
Too many cars to mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansmach1 View Post
Hello all I am new to this. I just bought an 04 mach and love it. My question is this I bought a predator off of ebay and installed the tune. I did not touch nothing in the tune just put it in like it is. I felt a diffrence down low. I ran the car at a 1/8th mile drag strip and the car runs fine when it is cold but when it is up to temp it seems to loose power. Is this the programmer? I got into a shoot out with a 98 vet and I do need to say I won 2 out off 3 but first pass ran a 8.83 @ 82.5 next pass went a 8.90 @ 80 next pass went a 8.99 @ 78. The car is stock with a k&n and this programmer and just flowmasters. Any info would help. If I need to i will put stock program back it to keep from hurting my car if yall think this is a problem. Thanks. Oya it is the R50d ver.
sounds just like heat soak....what were the temps and humidity outside?

just depends on the car too...i can hot lap mine and run the same times everytime

Previous Rides:
2003 DSG Lightning, 486/586, 12.09@111.25
2007 F150 Lariat 4wd Screw
2004 OW Mach 1, auto, 1 of 179
2003 DSG Mach 1, 574 rwhp / 528 rwtq
2003 DSG Mach 1, 13.1 @ 109.1
1988 Mustang GT, stock
1967 TB Coupe, project
1965 Fastback 2+2, A-code
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #46
RightTime
Gone shootin

Quote:
I ran the car at a 1/8th mile drag strip and the car runs fine when it is cold but when it is up to temp it seems to loose power. Is this the programmer? .
Welcome to our World, heat soak SUX. Rig up a toggle switch to run the radiator fan as needed.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=65142
RightTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #47
Briansmach1

Thats the thing that puzzeled me. I did not hot lap it. The first run I let it sit about 1hr after that about 30min apart. My 86gt is fine if I let it sit about 30min. Even if I hot lap my 86gt I dont loose that much speed. I let the mach sit a hr because it was still day light out. Then when the sun set thats when I let it sit for 30min. Dont know??? Im going to have to learn more about the mod. engine's. It is a little diffrent than my 5.0
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #48
65fastback2+2
Too many cars to mod

Quote:
Thats the thing that puzzeled me. I did not hot lap it. The first run I let it sit about 1hr after that about 30min apart. My 86gt is fine if I let it sit about 30min. Even if I hot lap my 86gt I dont loose that much speed. I let the mach sit a hr because it was still day light out. Then when the sun set thats when I let it sit for 30min. Dont know??? Im going to have to learn more about the mod. engine's. It is a little diffrent than my 5.0
what were your 60's and rt's on those 3 passes?

Previous Rides:
2003 DSG Lightning, 486/586, 12.09@111.25
2007 F150 Lariat 4wd Screw
2004 OW Mach 1, auto, 1 of 179
2003 DSG Mach 1, 574 rwhp / 528 rwtq
2003 DSG Mach 1, 13.1 @ 109.1
1988 Mustang GT, stock
1967 TB Coupe, project
1965 Fastback 2+2, A-code
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #49
socalmach

Unless your an auto. The Predator isn't gonna really do anything for you with the mods you have.

www.eastcoastdomestics.com
socalmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #50
Briansmach1

60 foots are around 2.2 to 2.0 On the last run it was a 2.0. My car is a 5speed.